Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - All Souls Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise, CREDIT moi, was putting our community garden to bed. Continues to surprise me how many muscles get worked doing what seems like simple tasks in a garden. And I'm surprised at how many tasks there are. "Taking down the fences," which I signed up to do, included spreading dehydrated horse manure. Spreading manure included scooping it up and lovingly sprinkling it evenly. Sprinkling then included turning it under. For the whole two acres! (OK, however many acres in a 10' by 10' lot.) It's more like giving a massage.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including NO candy. As in NONE AT ALL. Extra CREDIT moi for handling some 36 pieces of candy without scarfing a single one. Two pieces were left and I asked DW to put them in her stash; she's got this inhuman ability to eat exactly one piece of dark chocolate a day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – You stretched me on this one. Google help for those who aren't from St. Louis: Concrete - a super thick ice cream product, actually frozen custard. The original and world's best can be found at Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard in south St. Louis. You can stick a spoon it it and turn it upside down and the spoon stays stuck in the custard.

maryann - Neat strategy to "CLOSE THE KITCHEN mentally." What do you mean by "Halloween in a middle school is scary stuff?"

nationalparker – LOL at moving Christmas to July. Yep, Halloween can't be moved. Might as well call it 'Candy grubbing night.'

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Sigh, "I'm a recovering Cubs fan and have never known happiness." Ever since the Red Sox broke out of 'The Curse' I've been rooting for the Cubs to do the same. Kudos for "lots of produce."

sparks17 – My recommendation is to plan NOT to post personals for a spell. The major benefit comes from posting status of one's plans: eating, exercise, cleaning up environment, etc. Note that some members chose to post one or two personals. It's not fourth grade; you don't have to give a Valentine to every kid in the class so no feelings are hurt.

Ilene - Hope you made your Halloween candy goal of, "I would love it to be NONE!"

anakin - And you've lost 10 and are staying your path - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

The following example responses might be helpful.

Sabotaging Thought: I shouldn't put my needs above the needs of my family.
Helpful Response: I'm entitled to work toward a goal that's important to me. It's time for me to practice meeting my needs. Besides, my family doesn't need junk food. They'd be better off if they didn't eat it either.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 94.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

No Halloween candy ingested here, either. Truth be told, I'm sick and I just shut off all the lights and went to bed. I knew that's what I was going to do so I didn't purchase anything. credit.

It's been almost a week since my last post. I have to say this is probably one of the most trying times of my life. Its almost funny to think "stuff" is so awful that I don't want to eat over it. Truth be told, I spent some time thinking through a list of foods trying to come up with something that would give me "a fix". I could not come up with any food that would take my angst away.

I will have project #1, #2, and #3 of my moms vacant rentals. #1 is waiting for contractors to finish drywall (possibly this weekend) so we can start painting. #2 is a filthy disaster but we have made cleaning progress and as of today all the nasty carpet is gone. #3 we will look at today as yesterday was tenants "last day".
DH quit the job and took off to the hot springs. arg. He needed a break...we all do. Fortunately, his DD is eager to work and we manage to find some humor as we work. I think she has proven herself more dependable than dear dad and I think I'm going to choose not to bring him back on the site. Sounds cruel, but it's a bunch of dirty work with no end in sight and I think it would be better if he distances himself from it. Ouch.
Complicating life, I have the 'crud', perhaps in part from breathing the yuck in the rental(even with respirator). I am taking a day off before I return to the restaurant on Saturday and am drinking lots of ginger root/fresh apple smoothies.

**Good news-my own personal renovation was getting an electrical inspection yesterday. I hadn't heard so I went for some spontaneous exercise last night and hiked up the back stairs with my headlamp. There was a paper in my new $$electrical box...."passed". That's a big accomplishment. credit.

I am still weighing daily, eating only while sitting and trying to be mindful of food choices. credit. I am 2 pounds off ticker which is perfectly acceptable considering the stress. I often find myself thinking through things rather than jumping into food. credit.

So, it may be awhile before I'm back again. I read every day...just too inconvenient to post from my phone with lack of steady internet.

Thx for being here everyone!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Quicky post, I did not have any candy last night had wine instead made it my cheat night and called it a day... Wine is so much better than candy in my book...
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/179/145

Height: 67"

Good first morning of November, everyone.

I hit my limit this morning. It has been a long week - well, really, a short week of long days (although GO RED SOX!). I got home late last night, had an unplanned beer, woke up late this morning, didn't bring lunch. Making a plan right now, on the fly.

I'm not going to eat the First Friday treats this morning. If I had remembered, I could have had a bagel here for breakfast, but I already had breakfast, so FF treats aren't OP.

For lunch, I will walk a brisk 15 minutes each way to a local Moe's, where I get the vegan Band Camp (beans, rice, all the veggies, no tortilla or chips or cheese or sour cream). I'm not vegan, but by the time I get all the other veggies and a little guac, I can't tell whether there's cheese and sour cream in there anyway, so I skip it.

That all fits into a plan - not ideal, not something I can do every day, but it works.

I think I've also figured out that for weeks like this in the future, I have to be able to put together my lunches on Sunday evening, so I can just grab my salad and a frozen lunch and put them in my backpack.

For now, I just want it to be 4 pm. Super tired.

Last edited by anakin; 11-01-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #6  
Green Tomatoes

For the first time since June, I started a new month in my maintenance range. Woohoo! I think I'm going to join the maintainers thread as a signal that I'm maintaining, not yo-yoing up to ten pounds above my maintenance range.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +30 1400/1400 minutes for October, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Oops! I forgot that concrete is a St. Louis thing. What BillBlueEyes found is correct. Ted Drewe's is an institution -- a nightly party in the parking lot in the summer time. The smallest size isn't unreasonable for an occasional treat.

Lexxiss: thanks for keeping us updated when you can. That's a lot to deal with. So cool, that thinking through things works better than food. Take care of yourself!

anakin: have you seen the Mason jar salads? Folks swear you can make them on Sunday and eat them all week: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-pack...-kitchn-192174
Old 11-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I planned to have a small salad for lunch and *not* the three course fixed menu which is always so attractive here in France. The small salad was just what I wanted and I'm pleased with myself. I'm not sure what tonight will bring but I plan not to eat much.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thrilled to be able to move my ticker down today which means I am on course for my big December goal. Like gardener joy, anakin and BBE, I did not have one piece of halloween candy which is a first for me. I almost closed the kitchen for the night. When people were filling their plates with Thai food I just didn't have it in me to explain yet again why I wasn't eating. I took the lower road and had 1/2 cup of pineapple rice and 1/2 cup of regular rice and a spring roll. Credit for not letting a diversion from a plan throw me into a tizzy. Credit also for not "biting" when my mom drove the conversation back into family drama for the second visit a row. For the second time, I did not overeat because of it yet I suffered a lot of pain afterward yelling (for no good reason) at DH. I apologized this morning.

Enlightenment: I think I was expecting to end overeating and thereby end the pain that caused me to overeat. It never really occurred to me on a subconscious level that I get all the pain and none of the relief. Hmmmm. No wonder this has taken my so long to accomplish. It is a very brave thing to do.

BBE: Middle school is scary on Halloween because these little almost teens are so overwhelmed by excitement and jacked up with sugar they have little of the self control required to make school run smoothly. (Adult teacher teachers are not much better.)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #9  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Finally the weekend - at least the start of one. Friday night seems the most "free" mental time of the week for me now. The whole weekend lays before me - complete with staying up as late as I want because no alarm tomorrow. Late as I want, though, doesn't equate to late anymore. DH is back to working nights now/sleeping days.

Our trick-or-treaters (er - candy grubbers) came around tonight a day late after it was "moved" due to weather. We didn't have many kids, and there's plenty leftover. DH bought Scooby Snacks (graham crackers shaped like bones) that I don't think are halloween treats but regular lunch snack bags, and some m&ms. I didn't have any of the treats, but now need to move the choc out of sight for DH. Funny that the kids were more into the Scooby Snacks than the chocolate. I'll bring those leftovers to the lead teacher I volunteer with to use for a giveaway for the kids. One of the kids I work with there on her reading told me her mommy was taking her out for trick-or-treat because her daddy was on house arrest.

Maryann - I keep rewriting these few sentences to make it not sound absurd. But you're making me realize that I should have really been satisfied with the half-pound losses that were steady every week earlier this year. Had I stuck with it, I'd have been about 20 pounds down now if steady. Heck, I'd have been pleased with 15 pounds down. But, no, that seemed SO DARNED SLOW, that I was going to do more. I needed to reset my thinking. Needed to restart harder this week. Needed to ... needed to ... but didn't. And haven't. While you did. You do. And you rock!

Bill - Kudos for your garden work! And extra credit for passing on the candy. Thanks for the sabotaging thoughts work - I need to work on this hard with autumn upon us. It seems like everyone is in the holiday mentality already!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Dia De los Muertos

Diet Coaches/Buddies – After making it through Halloween without eating a single bite of candy, I encountered a basket of candy at the library. Felt betrayed. Libraries are for good things only. CREDIT moi for ignoring the tiny bags of M&M's that I'm capable of eating in any quantity. No comment about my moonbeam today.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks. I thought of an extra afternoon snack and an extra evening snack and avoided both. Walking, CREDIT moi, was only to the library - I'm still getting my mojo back.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thank goodness there's no Ted Drewe's near me - sounds hard to resist. Those Mason Jar salads are a great idea - never heard of them.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats on that kind of milestone that helps us to keep going during renovations, "my new $$electrical box...."passed"." Kudos for figuring out, "I could not come up with any food that would take my angst away."

silverbirch – Since French Women Don't Get Fat, I assume that, even as a visitor, you're automatically protected, somehow, from calories. Do have one baguette for me - the one's we get here are just not the same. And nutritionally they're listed just the same as white bread.

maryann - Kudos for not accepting your mother's invite into the family drama.

nationalparker – Glad I didn't encounter your Scooby Snacks - graham crackers are easy for me to gulp down like water. Kudos for being alert to the early arrival of "holiday mentality."

Ilene - Kudos for surviving Halloween without candy.

anakin - That "vegan Band Camp" sound yummy, especially when it takes a round-trip walk to get it. Maybe that's the secret; all food should be served from a 15 minute walk distance. That would sure stop my off-plan snacking, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

The following example responses might be helpful.Sabotaging Thought: My family or coworkers will get mad at me for these changes.
Helpful Response: Am I thinking realistically? How mad could the get? How long will they stay mad? Is it reasonable for them to get mad? Remember, I'm not doing this to make them mad. I'm doing this because I need to.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 94.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Thanks, Bill.

I have a nice credit to report! I have been testing out eating only 8 hours out of every 16, sort of Intermittent Fasting lite. Eight is difficult for me, but nine has worked really well. It helps me to have boundaries and I am never ready to eat early in the AM anyway, so eating between 10 and 7 is a win for me. Well, last night I was at a party-within-a-party, as in the adults hanging out together while the younger teens had a costume party. Lots of treats, but we got there at 7. I had planned to eat nothing at all while I was there. No Choice. And it wasn't difficult at all, because I wasn't hungry and I had already planned it. IOW, planning makes the difference.

Anakin - you mentioned my weight loss in the last thread. Even though I joined in April, I started losing in February. I've lost 37 pounds in 35 weeks, so it really has been slow and steady wins the race. I want to be like Bill and GardenerJoy and Lexxiss and keep my weight off, as I have lost and gained and lost and gained the same 40-odd pounds three times in the past 10 years.

And a big for everyone who avoided the Halloween candy!!

Last edited by sparks17; 11-02-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #12  
Green Tomatoes

Weathered an odd day on plan. Nothing else went according to plan, but the food did!

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +50 50/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Your moonbeam has gone into hiding for the weekend.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 11-02-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP Yesterday. For the last few weeks, I had been planning a big meal on Nov. 1 to celebrate changing my ticker. But I woke up yesterday and thought, I am so close to goal. I dreaded the two pound "water gain" from a restaurant meal that would take me a week to get back off. So I just kept with my two smoothies, a meal and a snack plan that I have been doing for a month. Glad for the decision because the scale tick a tiny bit farther down this morning. And I have decided to postpone trying dairy.I spent my whole life gorging on dairy. Another week or two of abstinence is not going to hurt me.

Here in California is persimmon season. Yes. we have three trees. I have never once used them in the twelve years I have been married to my husband. The reason was I was avodiing all the sugar that went into the cookie, pie, bread and jelly recipes I had. But now with the wonder Vitamixer, I eat persimmons everyday. Absolutely delicious. I put a Fuyu (?) in ( cut off the top and remove the seeds), an apple, some good earth tea, cinnamon, vanilla, pea protein powder, kale and blend. It is extremely tasty. We have two Hiyachi trees and I learned that I have to wait until they fall off the tree (basically) before they are edible.

The Vitamixer has changed my life. ( This a non paid testimonial.)

BBE: My back is coming along nicely as well.

gardenerjoy: I must have missed your mason jar salads post. I LOVE my mason jars. I store, freeze, cook and pack lunches all kinds of yummies.

nationalparker: I sooooo hear you with the frustration of a half of a pound a week. But your right, I "suddenly" find myself close to goal. You can do it to. We here at the blog aren't going away anytime soon. We can cheer you on.

sparks: Congrats on practicing your resistance muscle. And I have NO intention of gaining this weight back again. It is so demoralizing to yo yo.

Last edited by maryann; 11-02-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #14  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

It's been a good day so far, and I'm hunkered down to enjoy the evening. I finally got my rear in gear and moved the few hundred pavers from the landscaping project that remains half completed to the back yard. One blood blister, sore back, arms, and hands later, I'm relieved that they're out of sight from the street. Now to tackle weeding the project area for the eighth (yes, eighth) time and finally laying down the weed screen fabric. This is the first time I've ever procrastinated on a project that I really wanted to do. I'm typically the one pushing to get it done. (In SUCH a rush in my first house, that I put the second coat of paint on the door and doorway on the still-wet first coat so it could be "nice" before I went to bed. ... You guessed it. When I went to leave in the morning, I was painted in - the paint stuck and finally pushed my way out and left a panel of rubbery paint swinging in the air from the edge of the door. My father was disgusted; didn't I learn ANYTHING? Well...I did from that, that's for sure.)

Pulled out the Beck book and looking forward to writing new Advantages cards that are more for autumn/winter thoughts. Credits for lots of activity, increased water, mitts out of the Halloween leftovers, and buying a new journal that I'm itching to get writing in tonight. A goal is to check in here daily, and check in for myself with the journal daily this week/month/season.

Tomorrow when I check in, I will have walked on the trail with our dog. Even if just a mile instead of three, I will have taken her out.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Beckers,

Just a really nice OP day today. So thrilled that I can report that. It's been a long, long time since I have had so many OP days in a row. Feeling committed and strong! It was a warm (+4) sunny afternoon so spent some time in the back yard sitting by the fire and thinking about...nothing.

Credit today for:
eating healthy and on plan
riding exercise bike
taking a walk
doing strength exercises for arms/shoulders
planning tomorrow's food
reading response and advantage cards
recording progress at Sparks
checking in with my coaches.

Tonight the clock goes back an hour so looking forward to an extra hour of sleep. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.
Closed Thread