Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 4 - November 10

Wake up everybody! My brain woke up because it's morning despite this foolish Daylight Savings Time stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
fighting a cold I need to shake before my vacation.
Hope it subsides quickly. I've been trying to pretend that mine is gone. It has that feeling of lingering until spring.

The time has come to consider that someone else has absconded with my new Ford plug-in vehicle despite that I hold the winning ticked. My concession was to invest in a full tank of gas for the old Toyota. The Tesla has more appeal anyway, so I'll just wait.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good morning!

The cats and I never fully adjust to the time change - means I'm ready for bed by 9 p.m. most nights and they are ready for brekkie @ 4 a.m.

Bill You were robbed re the Ford plug-in! Yep, the Tesla's a nice car!

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...783745344.jpeg

I am sitting in a house that is almost box free on the two upper floors. DH is doing a great job in the basement too. We are about a week away from full function.

And DH fully agreed that I have to work out in the living room - my office is just too small for business stuff and a gym. I can actually stash the balance ball and weights fairly unobtrusively in the living room corner - the full length mirror to check my form will be a bit of a challenge but I'll figure it out.

Looking forward to doing this next Sunday!

Dagmar

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What a drag, Bill. How could they allow that?

Dagmar, I think you get the prize for fastest move-in and setup. Last time we moved, we had boxes a year later that weren't unpacked. They had kind of become part of the furnishings--end table, etc.

I have discovered the hard way that I've become allergic/sensitive to quinoa. It does happen to people, especially if the quinoa is not rinsed properly out of the package--but sometimes even if it is. And once a person starts to react, the reaction doesn't go away.

I liked rice better anyway.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Daylight savings time? Means absolutely nothing to babies! They went to sleep at 6pm last night, and were up for the day shortly after 5am this morning.

Bill, LOL, if you get a Tesla let us know.

Dagmar, congrats on your move! Sounds like you are getting all settled in nicely.

Jay, that sucks about the quinoa. There are many other grains out there though! I'm partial to kasha myself.

From last week's thread:
Joy, welcome!
Megan, hope things settle down soon and you can relax some.

After another disastrous weekend with no sleep and lots of screaming, my mom arrived yesterday afternoon to stay with us and we met with a night nanny service and scheduled them for next Sunday. Of course since we did those two things, the girls slept a bit better last night. We backed off on the solids and rice in their milk because they're getting constipated and uncomfortable because of it.

A friend told me the real culprit of her twins having the same type of issues as mine was an upper lip tie (similar idea to tongue tie), which makes them have a poor seal for suction when eating and swallow a whole lot of air. We will see about getting them evaluated for lip tie soon, not sure if I want to call the doctor today or wait until Thursday when they've been on prevacid for a week since we were going to call then anyway. They certainly don't have a good latch nursing, and even on the bottle half the time their upper lip is turned under instead of flared out, and they make a very distinct clicking sound when eating. If that turns out to be the answer I will be simultaneously very happy (because it is a pretty easy procedure to fix) and very angry (because why didn't they discover that months ago?).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I slept my extra hour away and it was glorious. My body has decided I should just stick my head under the covers and ignore glaring tasks and responsibilities. Neither of us wanted to go to the concert, so BF and I went to bed at 9:30 Saturday night. We commented on what party animals we are as we laid there, bass booming over the water from the concert about 8 miles away. Getting enough sleep has calmed my brain a little bit. The dog also got 2 long walks that calmed her a little bit, too. The parade was a lot of fun! Our members showed up in a great array of costumes for our theatre float and the crowds seemed to like us. I got through my tableing duties on Saturday. We sold a few tickets and mugs at our table and handed out a bunch of season schedules. Hopefully it will result in audience members.

JayEll, oh, no. Not quinoa. I mean, you're right. Rice is much better. So is couscous.

Bill, your weekend sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you made it home, lol. Sorry someone stole your new car! Those jerks.

Dagmar, sounds like you're settling in nicely. Welcome home!

Chris, your family's celebration sounds gross. I do like all of those foods, and try to only have them occasionally in reasonable portions. With salad. Sometimes gifts say a lot more about the giver than the receiver.

Jessica, I hope your mom and the night nanny are able to help out so everyone can get more rest. At least the girls slept better last night. Isn't that always how it works?

Have a good day everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I actually enjoyed driving to work this morning in the sunlight, past the scarlet and orange and lemon-yellow maples, which turn color more slowly down here than they do in Upstate NY, where I grew up.

I'm trying so hard to be in the moment, rather than fretting over my to-do list. This weekend, I was mostly house-bound, working on documents for my job which the person who left my department back in August would have normally handled. But I'm in the process of training a replacement, so I'm telling myself that what is, in effect, an extra job on top of my managerial duties will not be the state of things forever & ever, that it's just a hard time to get through.

You'd think all my time the gym and lately outside running would teach me that stress, discomfort and physically trying moments only last for a certain fixed period of time, and aren't like burning in an eternal flame of damnation.

Does November look really short to you all, as it does to me? I feel like I'm nearly already at Thanksgiving, and the month has just begun.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I also react weirdly to quinoa. I haven't had any in a long time and I have it in my salad today so I'll see what happens.

I was deluding myself about my "allergies". I have a stupid cold.

I kept busy all weekend and now I'm flinging myself into this week realizing that I leave to see dd in Arizona Friday night after work.

She called me (dd) yesterday to tell me her very close friend was hit by a drunk driver Saturday night. He was driving 75 the wrong way on the freeway. Both cars caught on fire. They both survived and it is a miracle she wasn't more badly injured. She had surgery for a broken wrist and her leg is badly bruised/sprained but she was already released from the hospital. She is planning on getting married in Utah in December (and dd is going to the wedding) so hopefully they don't have to postpone the wedding. I was very grateful my dd wasn't in the car.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good gracious, Michele, how absolutely dreadful.

JayEll and Michele, what symptoms do you have with quinoa? I hardly ever eat it but I'd like to know for information, especially as I seem to be in a sensitised state at present.

A lot of kasha (buckwheat) is eaten here in the Russian wing of Birch Castle. I don't have it much as the smell of it cooking rings allergy alarm bells for me. (Actually most grains do that - hmm, that's interesting.) I did have a bite of a Breton buckwheat pancake (galette) with salted butter in France. There are many Russian proverbs about kasha including my favourite, 'You can't spoil kasha with butter'. Trsl: eat it with lots and lots. No comment.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Silverbirch, the symptoms can vary widely, I have read. For me, it begins with a queasy feeling about an hour after eating. The nausea gets worse as time goes on, culminating in throwing up. This is followed later by a really bad headache. It's the basic "food poisoning" scenario, except that three people other than I ate the same thing, and none of them became ill.

So I can add quinoa to my list of foods never to eat. It can keep the clams and oysters company.

Just as a point of interest, quinoa is technically not a "grain" because it's not in the grass family. The same it true of buckwheat.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning!

Late start for me today due to multiple work-related issues. I've been pouring over our bank account and accounting system trying to find my bookkeeper's mistake (she was off around $491 and I found all but $30 of it). Then entering invoices and checking vendor statements and I had to call one vendor as the statement was way off. Finally figured that one out. And in the midst of it the people next door brought over a feral cat they caught using my trap so I had to call to inquire about getting it fixed tomorrow and to see if I could feed it. Appointment for tomorrow morning and food until 11 PM tonight is fine.

Bill~my next car will be a Tesla. I'm in love with it. We have a few around town and I just swoon when I see one.

Jessica~I've never heard of tie lip. Hopefully the constipation goes away and the nanny will be helpful.

Yes, saef, I enjoyed driving to work in the light as well. It was also much easier cleaning up the back yard in anticipation of our gardener coming today (usually I have to hunt poop with a flashlight). DH picks up on the weekends, but Monday morning it has to be addressed by me.

Jay~I get a reaction to quinoa as well (as does DS). We both get crampy and diarrhea. If I have small amounts of it there is no problem but I cannot eat a pile of it like you would rice.

Michele~that's sad about the car accident. Also sorry you have a cold. Hope you feel better for your trip.

Dagmar~try to remember where you put everything when you put it away! That is my biggest problem. I unpack a box, put it all away, then another and another and then when I need something in particular, I can't remember which cupboard I put it away in. This mostly occurs in the kitchen.

Everyone else~Hi! Gotta get back to work now.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

saef, oh yeah, November looks short! I've already had one episode of calendar-induced almost-hyperventilation. Yippee. Christmas. Some year, I am going to make good on my threat to leave the country for all of December. It'd be better for everyone involved. Agree with you, it was much better seeing the tree colors in the early morning light on the way to work!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #12  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 173/118

Height: 5ft, 6in

Hi everyone-new to the forums and I'm in maintenance, though I'm having some technical difficulties with it, which is why I'm here.

I called goal this spring (did a form of IF for weight loss), and then continued to lose weight (stopped tracking, began eating intuitively, started walking/running and then also transitioned to a mostly whole foods, plant based diet during this time). Fast forward to now and I've lost over 16lbs more than my goal weight and now am within a few pounds of having an underweight bmi These past few months have been crazy to say the least! Trying to figure out maintenance has been much more difficult for me, than the weight loss part ever was.

I've realized I do still need to track somehow, but since I loathe counting calories/macros I'm trying something new and doing WW points. Today's my first day trying it, as well as my first day here Glad to see there's other maintainers here!

Last edited by justjaynee; 11-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.
justjaynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Michele - that is a scary story. I'm glad DD wasn't in the car and hope her friend is okay. That kind of accident has happened way too many times down here lately.

Jay - I've known another person with that same quinoa allergy, who kept saying it couldn't be the quinoa and kept eating it and eliminating the things around it. You are right to just cut it out quickly - she was miserable for a long time trying to find another cause. I've seen quinoa called a seed before?

Birchie - I've heard the name kasha, but had no idea what it was. What kind of side effects do you get from grains?

Saef - November seems short to me as well. Realistically, I know that Thanksgiving is the last week this year, so it is further away than it seems. It just seems so close. I blame part of that on Christmas decorations already being out for weeks.

Megan - DH and I had a similar discussion last night when we decided we did not want to go to a movie at 9:30, but instead sat around the house and drank scotch and watched football.

Jessica - the upper lip sounds like a real cause for the problems you are having. Too much air makes everything really bad bad bad. Is the prevacid helping any at all?

Dagmar! I've been in my house six years and still have two yet to be unpacked boxes. You are awesome!

Bill - I kind of covet a Tesla. Seriously.

I've now booked a whole slew of tours for NOLA next week. Trying to balance overbooking, underbooking and just wandering. We haven't had a vacation in two years, and not one where we go somewhere with stuff to do in longer still. I'm excited. The weather right now looks like it will be glorious. Hoping that doesn't change.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Justjaynee!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Missed a few while I was posting!

Allison - I hate having to go back and try to find things in accounting systems, that is annoying.

Welcome Jaynee!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote