Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:35 AM   #1  
Pure Energy

Talking When you grow up :)

I was curious about something. For the longest time I have struggled with giving up who I was to make everyone else happy. It was a big part of my depression. Now, for the first time in my life I am free of that and am beginning to explore who I am and who/ what I want to be. I was curious about all of you so I pose the question to you...

Acknowledging that you love your children and want to be with them, that aside, what do you love? What would you love to do if you could do anything with your life, no holds barred, not money, not weight, not spouse or location! Nothing holding you back and all the resources of the world at your fingertips, what would make you joyfully happy every day?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:36 AM   #2  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Great question!!

I would be a photographer... and NOT of people!! I am pretty good anyhow, but it just doesn't pay the bills and it is an EXPENSIVE hobby.

So, that's what I would do.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:24 PM   #3  
reaching my goals

I would train dogs to take to hospitals and care facilities for therapeutic reasons like raising spirits to combat depression. Pet visits to hospitals and care facilities has been proven to lift the spirits of patients of all ages. Of couse I would try to take in most of the strays that others didn't want just to have for pets. I just love dogs.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #4  
Movin' and Losin'

Supersized: I'm a dog lover, too! Actually, I love all animals! So, I'd work with them in some way -- maybe just at the Humane Society. I feel bad for all the strays, and like you, I'd have a house full of them!!

But, there's other things I'm interested in, too. Like Lisa, I love photography, too. And, I love plants. So, I could work as a photographer or work in a greenhouse or florists and be happy, too. Oh, and baseball -- I love it. I'd love to work in MLB somehow. Ahhh... so many things to dream about as I sit here at my job that just mainly serves as a paycheck...

Jina
Old 11-12-2003, 12:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

What would I do?

I would do lots and lots of travelling ... South American rain forest, Inca ruins, Trans-Siberian railway, Great Wall of China, the Pyramids, an African safari, Greece, Turkey, the Yukon, Iceland ... I would see & do everything! Or maybe stop and live in each of these places for several months, to really get the *feel* of the country and their culture. But before I left I would take a page from StorybookMama's book and get a wonderful camera and take some photography lessons and put it to good use on my travels.

I would also like to get my pilot's license for those small 2 or 4-seat planes (that would be a very expensive hobby).

And I'd love to do a couple missions as an astronaut - that's what I wanted to be as a kid!

And, just having the chance to do a little bit of farm work from time to time makes me happy - brings back those childhood memories!

There are too many things, too many choices!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #6  

I always wanted to do something with music like be a producer or DJ...or I would like to work as a vetranarian...isnt it funny that you need more schooling to be a vet than a nurse! lol..i guess that is why i picked the latter....less time ....i do enjoy my job for the most part though. I also think it would be interesting to work on one of those shows that seize animals that are being mistreated...except my temper might get the best of me and i might end up slugging one of those idoit pet owners that let their animals starve and such. and i would want to take all of them home to save them! lol
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #7  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I would have loved to be an elementary teacher.
But the classroom clutter and low paycheck would have killed me so I went in the opposite direction as a systems analyst working in a cubical!

But on the bright side...I do get to deal with elementary age personalities in many a business meeting!!!

Money being no issue at all .... I would run a year round Vacation Bible School for kid's under 7th grade... - oh wait AND on a cruise ship!!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 207/207/185

I would love to travel - I would even try being a flight attendant (altho i would spill stuff all over everyone), but the benefit would be seeing all those wonderful places I have only read about.

Hey how about a travel writer or hotel reviewer - I would be GREAT at that (throw in a few restaurant reviews on the side). I could even be a Cruise Director - love to plan things and to travel.

Otherwise a fun job would be a party planner - get to be creative, plan great parties and use someone else's money - what could be more fun?

Something else I always wanted to do - not really a job, just a hobby is learn how to tap dance!!! maybe one day......

Froufie
Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 PM   #9  
Head Princess

DH and I have planned that if we ever win big in the lottery, we're going to go ride every major roller coaster in the world.

After that, I'd want to go to school and get a masters or doctorate in forensic science.

Oh, and I want to create art. I love art - and how subjective it is. Everyone else in the wold can hate it and it will still be art to me.

Oh, oh! And I'd work with horses. Lots and lots of horses.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:47 AM   #10  

As I was reading all your posts I kept saying "think of something....there must be something you would really want to do" but there are too many and some are lame!

I was going to be an artist when I was younger. I got accepted to a major art school in Boston but turned it down.
Would I want to do that now? No, I like it as a hobby.

I learned how to sew when I was 10 years old and haven't stopped yet. I quilt and make anything else I feel like. It is a gift and I never take it for granted. Would I want to sit and make quilts everyday? No, I like it as a hobby.

I love scrapbooking! I have just about every gadget and whatever that it takes to do scrapbooking but it sometimes frustrates the **** out of me. I get so caught up in perfectionism that I get stuck on ideas.
I even thought about opening my own scrapbook store in my town. There isn't a good one for miles. If I had no money concerns THIS I would do.

As for saving the world and all....I don't think I have it in me. I would just like to save my own little world. Love my husband, spend more time with my neices and nephews, decorate my house .....I have pretty simple desires.
I don't travel much, not a fan of flying. Maybe if I had all the money in the world I could go to one of those fear of flying classes and get over this stupid thing. Then I could fly all over the world. Travel to exotic places....meet new and exciting people.....I would love to go to Ireland (family from there) and Nova Scotia (also family). Come to think of it.....THE HECK WITH THE SCARPBOOK THING!
Old 11-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #11  
Pure Energy

I'm not sure what I'd do either. I love to travel. Travel will be a part of my life no matter what. Dh and I made that decision and decided we would make it happen at any cost. That's why we started our adventures by going to Switzerland and Paris last year. That was so awesome. There are a gazillion places to go. I'll start with Lekker's list. We have very similar taste.

Star- I actually pursued my degree in forensic anthropology for a while and loved it, absolutely loved it but when it came time for my first autopsy it was an old man with the longest, most beautiful white eyelashes I had ever seen. For some reason it effected me deeply and I couldn't do it. I was never able to finish.

In a way I'm beginning to think that when I'm successful that I'd like to coach people in nutrition and fitness, to provide them help to a healthier life knowing how much happier it is making me. (Gotta get there myself first)

Also, I'd love to write books and provide support shelters, workshops, retreats, etc for women. I am a huge! supporter in building self esteem, helping recover from abuse and just revelling in being women. I'd love to have a big ranch that celebrated that. Yeah, I think that's what I'd like to do.

Jane- You could teach a scrapbook class

Star- You could take care of the horses

Froufy- You can plan all the parties

NurseNicki- You can DJ

Jina and Supersize can be our Jill's of all trades

and Lisa can be the resident photographer!

I think it would be totally cool. Dreams! Ahhhh
Old 11-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #12  
reaching my goals

You girls are amazing!

Kim, my first degree is in Elementary Education. I call it my back-up career. If I had kids I might be more tempted to teach school. As you said, teaching just doesn't pay well. Auditing and accounting aren't as rewarding but pay much much better. Auditing for the Army allows me to travel as well.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #13  
on my way down again

I'd buy an expensive motor home, learn to drive it and travel the country and Canada with no schedule. (would love hubby and pups to come along.) I'd work with disabled students at the college like I used before my back became so bad and to help them with all the little daily things we take for granted like seeing, feeding ourselves, and talking, walking, etc. So maybe a physical theripist too; I love to see people light up when they improve.

Also, my motor home would have a space for my computer, sewing machine, and any craft I'm doing at the time.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #14  
thin within

well, here i am at 2:30am not able to sleep and browsing through old threads. i don't know how i missed this one when it was posted in november. anyway, if i could be or do anything in the world, it would be exactly what i am now--a stay-at-home-mom. as much as i loved having a career as a mental health therapist, i love being a sahm even that much more. i absolutely love getting to spend every single day with my jordan grace. she is such a blessing. i never thought i would be happy staying at home, but am so glad that we can afford for me to do so. most of the women in my family have not had the luxury to stay at home. in rural mississippi, it is not about dual incomes, but about having to have 2 paychecks to be able to provide food, shelter, and medical care for the family. i truly feel blessed to be able to do exactly what i want to do and enjoy the very most.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 PM   #15  
tjw

Me, well, I tend to have "hermit-like tendencies", and honestly all I've ever wanted is a humongous tract of land, where I could plant myself right in the middle of it, and just enjoy life, raising my horses, and also cattle, and just about every other animal you could think of...Just a simple country/farming/ranch life...Oh well, maybe in my NEXT life....
Closed Thread