Old 11-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Red face Hi, I'm thinking about re-joining

Hi,

I stumbled across a post on this board and I felt like I could identify with a lot of it. I went to part of an online OA meeting today, I can relate to what I experienced there too. Currently I don't drive, which is an issue that I hope to resolve in a few months, until then, if I were to rejoin, I have the number of some people in my area who may take me to a meeting.

I have always felt in OA that there was a sense of support, people always seemed to listen and care about others, even if in a tough love sort of way. I guess the only issues that I had with OA are that sometimes my food plan at the time seemed too confining, especially if I were eating with someone, I would at it times feel nervous if I had to call a sponsor to change a food. I felt very powerless then, in an unhealthy relationship if the sponsor and I quibbled over the right food choices. I felt at times that I was giving up certain foods, but it probably was for the best. I did have a pretty good experience with OA before but sometimes the people at meetings could be catty and argumentative, but that can happen anywhere.

I have some anxieties about returning to OA. When I stopped going, I was in the hospital. I also hope that those people in OA would be glad to see me. I think that OA is a better solution for me than WW, I may get way too obsessed with the scale and points with that.

I am shy and nervous about this, wish me luck!!!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #2  

Seabiscuit - If it was working at all for you then I would give it another go. Perhaps find a sponsor that is more generalized as in "I am giving you my food for today. I will eat to nourish my body in a healthy way and refrain from compulsive overeating" You can get a bit more specific and mention the foods you will not take into yourself such as overt processed sugars or whatever foods are your "drug of choice". Keep an open mind and remember that the point is that you can't do it alone on self-will and that it is not a "diet" - you are making a commitment to eat the way that all of these would want for you because they love you - higher power, friend, family etc
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for replying!

I think I will return to OA. I have gone to another online meeting, or at least part of it and it really hits home. I called the OA'er yesterday, left a message, I hope I hear back. I think it is important for me to realize that this will be a struggle for me for awhile but that recovery is possible. I definitely have hope and I am keeping the faith.

Thank you for your insight and suggestions.

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote