Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Default The small regain and job change

So, has anyone else here had a small regain? at my lowest i was 154, i'm 175 again It isnt huge, but man i feel awful.

With my recent job change (i'm now basically a stay at home mom with out the kids) I've gained it back... could be also because i did have a severe hip/back injury and couldn't move/exercise at all. I live on a large farm (grains)and there is NO ONE around to walk with, exercise with (before we moved I walked every day with a friend of mine) and now its really hard to get myself going. Also I was the supper runner for Harvest this year and everyone LOVES starches, so it was hard - i didn't eat as much because i WASNT going to re-make my own meal after making it for 3 other adults.

It's almost like i've forgotten how to lose weight too. Did anyone else find this with their regain and trying to start the loss again?

I never realized how much i moved before! I used to work in a warehouse. So i was constantly moving and lifting.

I think i'm just venting.. but has anyone gone through this?
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

It's like you're reading my mind. I had a 3-year journey to getting to the 150s and I was kind of a weight loss guru. I maintained for a year then gained 20-something pounds and now it's like I'm having to relearn the discipline it takes to lose weight again. I've retried several times over the past few months of regain to get started. I tried when I was 5-lbs over and then 10-lbs and then 15-lbs and then now, and it's almost like I'm a newbie at this again even though obviously I'm not.

If it's hard to get in-person support for your walks maybe you can get virtual support. Maybe start a challenge or join one. I'm trying to kick my own butt to get back on plan in many different so if you wanted to do an exercise challenge or have a virtual walking buddy where you pledge to go walking x times a week and check in when you do, I'm in. Sorry about the changes you've had in your life recently and good luck with getting back on track!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #3  

Hahah! Well i'm glad we can relate together!!! Oh i know it's so hard to restart!! I just feel like a beached whale... honestly.

Ive been trying with the virtual support. But it's like i need someone to message me and be like "Jamie, did you work out today? I did" kinda thing.. Or work out at the same time as someone. I would LOVE that!!!

Oh, it's ok. It's been a fantastic change (besides the injury, which thankfully is all healed now!)
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #4  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I get that, I've yo yo'd up and down more than ever in the last 3-4 years. It's so frustrating losing weight you've regained, it feels like it's going to never happen and then it does - and then you feel like you're never going to lose this weight if you keep relosing the same 10 lbs over and over. I think major life changes that bring on stress are a perfect recipe for weight gain. I've felt immense work pressure the last few weeks and it's all I can do to not come home and eat everything I own discipline discipline If you work hard enough you can get there! One way or another I say!
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #5  

I keep trying to really focus, but mines mostly been from lack of exercise
Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #6  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Yes! Before last year I was losing weight consistently enough through healthier eating (not sure I'm the type to eat completely healthy though!) and a LOT of exercising. I got down to 149 lbs at my lowest weight. But when I moved to Japan I was completely thrown off my routine, I got my first full time job so I struggled to fit in exercise when I always felt so tired after a days work (kindergarten teacher/English tutor), so my highest weight in the last year was 160 lbs. An 11 lb gain!

I decided to kick start my weight loss by replicating what I did at the very beginning of my weight loss journey - enter a 10K. I'm now following a training programme that's worked wonders for me in the past, so I hope to return to the 140s by the time Christmas has arrived. Which is why I'm running another challenge!

As for forgetting how to lose weight, I'm sorry to say that no - I remember very clearly how to lose weight! I just don't implement it into my life, which sounds stupid since I have the knowledge, but the will power and the focus have to come from sheer determination. After trying to fit into my winter clothes I felt a spark within myself that made me feel like I needed to be serious about weight loss - because I can't fit into anything without feeling fat!

So, my advice for you is - you've just got to get in the mindset again. Why do you want to lose weight? You clearly are bothered by the regain so that's a good step forward, you now know to stop whatever it is you're doing and change to lose weight. Walking isn't going to burn much calories unless you're walking miles or hiking. You should try something more high impact. Have you considered running? You also need to think about what you're eating right now and what you really shouldn't be including in your day to day diet. It's best to make small substitutions to begin with in my opinion, swap out soda for water, white bread for whole grain, chips for fruit etc.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #7  

Japan! I'm jealous! Stunning! Being thrown off routine really makes it hard.

Oh, walking I'd walk 5-10km 5-6 times a week.

Oh man I know I just gotta move more!!!!! I have started to log again with fitday, I started insanity, I was on week3 and I just sometimes can't get motivated to dig deeper. Definitely been thinking of running. Been biking.

I just feel bloated and puffy, awkward. When I'm heavier and just hate it really.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #8  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I hate to say, because I hate being told it, but sometimes you've just gotta force yourself to workout. Insanity is amazing, I love it! It definitely helped me shift a lot of my weight. If you've been thinking about running then give it a go. I use the Zombies, Run! app and I really enjoy coming home and building up my Zombie base =). Just try your best and a routine will be created somehow. I know how you feel though, even with my 11 lb gain I feel really large even though I know I'm no where near where I started out!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #9  

I lost a bunch of my weight last year, got down to 160 pounds while my husband was at basic training, then we moved here to Korea, I started working full time, and going back to school and exercise just went out the window. I gained the wife fat, we were cooking unhealthy meals, and I wasn't exercising. Now I've gained back everything I lost those three months he was gone last year and I'm having a hard time finding time for exercise amongst my routine. We have a free gym here in our apartment, but I honestly think I need to join a gym and pay for it for motivation. As stupid as that sounds, I don't think think I exercise because I don't have to pay for it. If I had to pay for it I'd workout more.
goldengirlamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

day 3 today it was great easy cant wait till next week im also down 2 lbs 156.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #11  

Haha, thanks. It's true I've got nothing but time. I've been doing the bike thing everyday...we've been down with a cold so once that's over, back to insanity! !
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

I actually gained 20 pounds in one year and thought I forgot how to lose weight. I think it was because I stopped going to Zumba and stopped everything I liked doing about weigh loss both in food and exercise. Now I'm trying to get back on track but opening myself up to new possibilities because I need a good foundation of positive things I can do to lose weight so that it feels natural. It's difficult because it's unnatural to force myself back into making foods and just exercising alone. People keep suggesting to me to try the weights exercise class.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #13  

Oh I feel you! If you have the ability to exercise with others? Do it. It really can get the ball rolling!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/125

Height: 5'3 1/2"

This happened to me too! In one year I gained back 30lb! I keep telling myself I'd eventually get back on the grind again but I had an excuse for myself every day. Like liliesinmycereal, I'm also trying to get back on the bandwagon. Biking sounds great so far, and so does Insanity!
polymertastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #15  

I lost about 30 pounds and was at my lowest when my DH was at basic training. (Army) About 3 months later we moved to Korea and were able to live the newlywed life and I gained it ALL back.

Life happens, just pick yourself up and continue on doing better!
goldengirlamy is offline   Reply With Quote