Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default NSV - New Sock Victory

I found a really cool sock website several years ago called Sock Dreams. They test and show their socks and stockings on a wide range of leg shapes and sizes and describe their results in the product description. Most of the descriptions report the amount of stretch in the cuff and in the body of the sock.

I don't remember my exact calf size when I found the website, but it had to be at least 22" because I remember there being only a couple of long sock styles that I thought might fit. However, there were a lot of styles that were described as falling knee high or longer on 19" calves.

I think I was maybe 12 years old the last time I was able to find knee high socks that actually reached my knees. I've occasionally been able to find sheer, plus sized, nylon, trouser socks to fit, but not opaque "sock" socks.

I decided that when my calves measured 19" or less, I would order some long socks, knee high or higher.

They do, and I did (to the tune of five pair and $50. Standard shipping is free within the USA.

They arrived yesterday (I ordered them on Saturday).

I ordered the Dreamer Diamond Wave and Dreamer Palm OTK both in charcoal and the O Basics style in charcoal, natural, and teal (among the colors reported to fit a 19" calf).

Since I'm a bit of a cheapskate, spending $50 on socks was almost heartstopping, but I am so happy I did. I LOVE these socks. The O Basics make a great cuffed or scrunched knee sock and the Dreamer pairs can be cuffed, but I don't have too. They're the first OTK socks I've ever had.

I was hoping the size guidelines were generous, but they're pretty much dead-on, so I'm glad I didn't buy any of the socks recommended only up to 18" or before my calves had reached 19".

I think I could easily become sock-addicted. I'm already planning my selections for when I lose another inch in my calves (as more styles choices will be available).

I would never guessed that I could be so excited about socks.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You should have titled this "The Joy of Socks"!

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I'd be able to get them in Canada.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
You should have titled this "The Joy of Socks"!

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I'd be able to get them in Canada.
LOL!

They do ship to Canada (and most other countries). They accept Paypal or credit cards from the USA and Canada, but only Paypal from other countries.

I wore the teal O Basics ($7) all day today. They're made of a blend of recycled cotton, acrylic, and spandex. They were very comfortable and surprisingly I neither felt too cold or too warm (whch is extremely unusual for me). Usually I'm warm one minute and cold the next, so if the socks help with that, it would be a nice bonus.

Some of the novelty socks are too-cute, adorable.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for this info! I just ordered 3!
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaloozer View Post
Thanks for this info! I just ordered 3!
I hope you love them as much as I do. I am just gaga over these socks.

I really like the acrylic/cotton blend. I'm always vascilating between too-warm and too-cold, especially in the winter. In an average day, I'll shed and add, shed and add clothing layers (and socks) several times during the day, and sometimes through the night.

These socks have so far (knock on wood) kept my legs warm, without becoming too warm. I still have to shed and add other layers, but less often, and I get to keep on the socks.

I especially love the Dreamer socks, which I wish came in more styles and colors.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/142

Height: 5'2"

This post made me smile,kaplods. Yes. something as simple as socks, for a person who is heavy IS a big deal, and we all cheering you on, cuz most of us have "been there".

The joy of sox (love that), and pretty, well fitting under things are something we do for ourselves, not to show off to the world. But WE know we are wearing it, and feel good about it.

Have a wonderful day, with your toasty tootsies
MrsKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Yahoo for you! I had the same issue with tall socks for seemingly forever, too.

Now I need to check that site out.......
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #8  

The socks are so cute, I'm feeling the urge to buy some cute shoes or a couple shorter skirts to show them off (shorter meaning just below the knee rather than just above the ankle).

I've been on a sewing kick, so maybe I'll buy some denim, corduroy, or microsuede.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yay for socks! Your socks sounds great, enjoy them. I now see me spending waaaay too much time browsing socks on their website!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

What a great post -- and thanks for passing along the info on a great site. I see some new socks in my future as well!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #11  

The website is becoming an expanding time-suck, as I find myself nort only looking for more socks, but also clothing and shoes that will best show off the socks.

I also started browsing the fabric websites, because I can sew a bit, and if I make my own skirts and dresses, I might have more money for socks.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #12  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Good for you! I've been a big fan of Sock Dreams for a couple of years now. In fact, I just recommended that site in another posting on 3FC: great minds think alike.

What I really like, because my legs are always warm, if not too warm, are their short short socks, the ones called "booty" or "footy" socks. They have a wonderful variety of styles & colors, and I find that all the brands I've ordered from them have been well-made.

Cute socks make a great reward for achieving a mini-goal, gals! And the shipping is free...
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

This might be the best NSV post I've read. Hooray for socks galore! Congratulations!
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #14  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Super yay!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote