Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #1  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 254.4/233.0/140

Height: 5'5

Default seasonal depression and anxiety

Hello all.

I haven't felt well the past few days. So I went to the dr. I was told I I have seasonal depression and my anxiety it very bad this week. I have to make myself count my ww points. I wish I felt normal. Anyone else dealing with this?
butterflygirljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

This time of year "SUCKS" for me!

I hate the short days, and my Exzema flairs up. And my back itches, and I'm major cranky!

And it's only going to get colder and crappier outside.

I HATE winter!

2 things that have helped. I take extra vitamin D in the winter, and I have a grow light next to my computer, sorta like fake sun!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

My husband and I both struggle with seasonal affective disorder, it's been getting dark earlier here (Fairbanks, Alaska) and what has helped us overcome is a happy light, like shcirerf said, taking at least 4,000 IU of Vitamin D, eating better and making plans. Last winter we didn't really do anything because it was so cold out and so dark, and we felt it. This winter we have goals, are eating better, have plans to get out to a hotsprings nearby more often, exercise more, and we have limited the amount of time we sit in front of the tv, and we got a woodstove (YAY!) and won't have to fork out $4,000 for heating our 1,100 sq. ft. house. Good little things build up for a good winter, and the same goes in the opposite direction. Try adding one little good habit a week, or trying one new thing every week and it can help a lot!
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #4  
Jennifer

Thanks ladies. I just feel very numb. Tired. And just feeling bad. Not sure how to explain it. My husband is going to be having surgery soon and I'm very worried. On top of that I will be the one covering all bills and expenses for a month. So I'm just stressed. I just can't get out of this funk. I feel phisicaly I'll. My anxiety is up this week. Idk...
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

I also hate winter time, as soon as it gets that nip of cold air, my depression gets worse. I also had a very traumatic experience in the month of Nov when I was younger, so it usually subconsciously triggers moody emotions this time of year.
Every year I have real problems with it, almost losing my job because I can't stand to be around people this time of year.
I am trying to handle it differently this time, I am taking extra vitamin D and every day I try to go outside and be in the sunlight for at least 20 mins. Don't know how that will work once it gets really cold, but I am going to keep trying to do that. I can't afford one of those SAD lights, is there another type of cheaper light I can get to get the same effect?
Hopefully I will manage it better this year... it does suck already though.
Catgoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 146/116/110

Height: 5'0

I know this is bad for me, but I will do short stints in tanning beds during the winter. Those 5 minutes in the heat and light actually make me feel a lot better. I'm guessing it's a similar effect to the light boxes but I've never looked it up.
kitkat2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #7  

I purchased Ott light bulbs (they give natural daylight) and replaced all the bulbs in my house over time. They are expensive, but I felt so much better last winter. They are readily available (other brands, too) at Joann Fabrics, Hancock Fabrics, and do-it-yourself stores and lighting stores.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I also suffer from depression due to less daylight. What helps me is daily exercise (ideally outside when it's daylight- I try to walk at lunch), vitamin D (5000 IU a day), fish oil (omega 3 is important to mood), balanced diet and balanced sleep. It's made a big difference for me.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #9  
Jennifer

I actually have some time left on my tanning package from the beginning of summer. I think iil use them five minutes at a time to see if it helps.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/222/180

Height: 5'8

I deal with those issues as well.. but usually my depression "acts up" in January - March. Winters are super long here.. and by that time it seems like it'll never get warm again. I try to get out when I can, especially on sunny days. I also plan things for myself to do regularly that I can look forward to and keep my head up about.
CrystalClear25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #11  

Default depression as disability

Both depression and weight condition can qualify as a disability under anti-discrimination laws. If you are having problems at work, consider whether or not you are being subjected to unlawful discrimination. For more information about discrimination or legal help, there are lots of recourses including http://www.rapaportlaw.com
good luck
marcwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalClear25 View Post
I deal with those issues as well.. but usually my depression "acts up" in January - March. .
This. I'm "ok" now because I love the holidays! The anticipation, th music, decorating, baking...once Christmas is over, its long couple of months for me..I do what others suggested, try to get out during the daylight, exercise, big one is getting out during the day. If I stay in for more than a day or two I start to get very depressed, complete change in my mood..ugh...I dealt with this for years and didnt know what was going on, Im just glad I know now to take steps to helps it.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

I've often wondered if I have SAD. I seem to get worse during the winter. It snowed yesterday so winter is "officially" here now and I'm hoping I remain stable.
Dollfaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I feel the same way this time of year - depressed from lack of sunlight, feeling like I have to go to bed once I get home, eating to stay awake. Not fun at all! I looked up and started taking Niacin, which is an over the counter vitamin that is said to help with depression. Whether it's a placebo effect or not, it helps me out this time of year. I also wake up to a light timer (all year long).

I'm starting to conquer my SAD though. This time of year, I usually let myself sulk for a few weeks as I get used to the lack of light, dry skin, allergies, and overall depressed mood. Then, I kick myself into gear and get back into the gym. It's finally happening again - I've done my sulking and now it's time to start feeling better again.

Good thread ladies! Hope everyone has a plan to conquer their SAD!

coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

I was just diagnosed with SAD. It was such a relief to finally figure out why I've been so depressed and exhausted over the past four months. My bingeing has been out of control, and I gained 15 lbs. I've been craving greasy fried foods all the time and had absolutely no willpower to stop eating. I also couldn't concentrate. I was seriously considering taking a leave of absence from my job.

My doctor has me on Wellbutrin and 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D-3. I was on the Wellbutrin for a few months and wasn't feeling much of a difference. When I started taking the a Vitamin D, I felt an immediate boost in my energy and mood. Best of all, the cravings stopped, and I have no urge to binge. I am eating normal sized portions and making healthier choices. I lost 5 lbs in the past nine days. It's amazing what one vitamin can do!
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote