Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/194.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Just Joined MRC and getting cold feet HELP!

New to 3 fat chicks (thanks for this great forum, btw). Here's my thing, I joined MRC after visiting a client I hadn't seen in about 3 months. I was AMAZED by her weight loss and asked how she did it. After learning it was MRC, I high-tailed it over there and signed up. I even talked my mom into signing up, too.

Well, after searching reviews on the internet, I've started getting cold feet. It seems there are a lot of people who aren't happy with the program, the cost, and many aren't losing the 2.5 to 5 pounds a week guaranteed. I have one day left on my 'right to cancel' and I'd only be out the $59 sign up fee.

Here are my concerns:
  1. Extremely restrictive
  2. Difficulty in maintaining. (They were pretty vague about this at the center.)
  3. Holidays coming up and it appears that deviating even a little from this plan significantly affects your weight loss.
  4. At my center they kind of discouraged exercizing (no more than 3 x a week for no more than 45 min.)

Okay folks fill me in and help me decide whether to stay with it or cancel.

Thanks in advance!
Fran Veal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I am not familiar with MRC, but....I usually go with my gut in stuff like this.

It sounds like your concerns are valid, and if you already know that you are concerned or have issue with the restrictiveness of the plan, perhaps you should cancel for now, and do some more research.

Also if the center is bit willing to be open and clear with your questions or concerns, that's not good. At least in my opinion.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Can't comment on the plan itself, however there are several way-of-eating lifestyles that require strict adherence to the plan. If you are expressing concerns about it being restrictive, perhaps you should rethink a decision it sounds like you may have made in haste out of sheer excitement. If you don't think you can stick with it, it's not going to work for you.

What attracted you to this plan - the success of your client or the lure of a promised 5 pound a week weight loss? In reality, you might see some higher end losses at the beginning but no plan with sustainability can promise that week after week. Slow and steady is frustrating but in the end it wins the weight loss race.

Good luck with your decision.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Hopefully some of the other people here who have actually done MRC will chime in...

I did do MRC, and have lost 75 lbs in 10 months. No, i didn't lose 5 lbs a week, but I really didn't expect to. I've been maintaining now since the end of May, and that time has included a long vacation trip, family events, a HS class reunion, and just this past week, a conference for work. Maintenance doesn't mean you can eat whatever you want... It means eating sensibly and recognizing your problem food triggers, and getting back to basics when you gain. That said, some have gained and working on getting it back off. Read the monthly threads to hear some of this.

Yes, it is restrictive. For me, that was a plus, as is the one-on-one counseling. Having a list of allowed food items was helpful, because I could tell food pushers that whatever was not on my list. I was still able to eat out, and just made choices that fit the plan. I always did better the weeks that I didn't eat out, however. If you go to a party and eat a lot of junk, you aren't going to lose, regardless of what plan you are following... But my coach was great for helping to making wise choices. I went, drank water and ate veggies and protein, and stayed away from junk.

On the exercise, I really couldn't even do that when I started. Now I walk about 5k every night. I believe that more exercise than what you mentioned slows down losing. I was concerned personally to first lose the weight and then concentrate on fitness. I'm more fit now than ever, and continue to work on that...

You are starting at what I started at weight wise, and I'm actually 5'4.5", so very similar. My initial goal was 140, but I am at 129+/- 2 lbs now, and very thrilled with the results.

Yu have to make your own decision of course, but I'm happy that I chose this program and with the success I've had with it.
MarleneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #5  

Thank you all for responding. Marlene, I'm sure it's a good program, but I can tell just from the conditioning phase that I would have a problem sticking to this program. I was nauseated and have had a headache since yesterday. Also, my gut says it's not for me, and I try to listen to my gut. I know my mother is going to cancel due to the high amount of protein due to her kidney issues.

I'm glad it worked for you. You've done phenomenally!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #6  

Hello...

I am on MRC maintenance over 3 years.. I agree with Marlene.. One has to make up their mind that they are on a diet for a reason, to lose the weight . Go over to the October Forum and introduce yourself.. That forum kept me focused while I was on a weight loss challenge.

Maintenance is common sense. One cannot eat whatever they want, if they do they will be back to where they started..

I am so glad I went on MRC, as it has worked for me. I highly recommend it. As for holidays, there was always something that I could eat at the table. I just did not eat what was not allowed. Now on maintenance, I have more freedom, but I have found out what my trigger foods are, and stay away from them. That works for me.

I walk every day after supper for one hour. I never have the time to do other exercise. I would do whatever exercise feels right to you.

I still go to get weighed in every other week, as that keeps me on focus. Plus if I have issues, the consultant is always there to help. I still journal to this day. That is not necessary, but I never want to gain the weight back that I lost..

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.. It is restrictive, but I needed that to lose .

Patzi
patzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #7  

I had a lot of success on another program that was not nearly so restrictive, but gained it back due to a stressful situation that involved my husband being bed-ridden for 4 months. I'm no longer a member of that club for personal reasons.

I get what you say about making up your mind and doing it. I'll think about it tonight. My family's kidney problems concern me with all that protein. Patzi, how restrictive is your maintenance? I understand that no one can expect to stay fit if they go back to their old habits after dieting, but I don't want to stay on 900 calories a day for the rest of my life, either! How many calories is the maintenance?

Last edited by Fran Veal; 10-27-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #8  

Well, here's a shock - the hubby doesn't seem to be as opposed to the cost as I'd thought he'd be. In fact, he seems to think I may need the accountability. I'm going to think and pray about it tonight. Thanks for the input, and please, I want to hear the good and bad from anyone who has tried MRC!

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Veal View Post
I had a lot of success on another program that was not nearly so restrictive, but gained it back due to a stressful situation that involved my husband being bed-ridden for 4 months. I'm no longer a member of that club for personal reasons.

I get what you say about making up your mind and doing it. I'll think about it tonight. My family's kidney problems concern me with all that protein. Patzi, how restrictive is your maintenance? I understand that no one can expect to stay fit if they go back to their old habits after dieting, but I don't want to stay on 900 calories a day for the rest of my life, either! How many calories is the maintenance?
I was never on 900 calories while dieting.. Usually around 1000 or 1100.. Now, I eat around 1200.. I eat very healthy as this is what is important to me.. But I eat wide, but healthy.. I keep experimenting. If I gain, I put that item away for awhile.. I tried a candy bar and did not gain, so I know I can have that on occasion.. My p roblem is carbs.. Too many carbs. I don't mean veggies, I mean breads pretzels , etc. That is my trigger, so I don't eat them, as I cannot eat a few, I would eat the whole bag, so I eat something else instead. I don't feel cheated in my maintenance. I eat out quite often . I don't feel restricted.. One thing I learned was, one cannot go back to their old habits. If they do, then they are in for failure.. I like being thin. It feels good. I gain weight very easy, but I take it right back off.. I don't let it linger.

Patzi
patzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #10  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

Fran, you are soooo me 3 days ago. After I signed up I researched the reviews and freaked. Unfortunately my bf and I had already signed up and paid so I figured id give this round a shot. Personally I found a protein supplement that is almost exactly theirs only no sugars so I will be trying to use that first, ive already informed my consultant. She was a tiny pushy on that part because its her job to sell her product as much as it is her job to help me. The one I found is half the cost of theirs monthly though so I will be trying that first, if it doesnt work ually including a protein shake then it doesnt and I buy theirs enough said. I've also eaten a few things off plan because they were in my house and I didnt want to waste them like bacon which is expensive (it was the pricey beef bacon). I had a headache the first 3 days but im almost sure thats because I was detoxing off the carbs and fast food id been eating for the last week. So far my meals are 300-550 cals each so I end at about 1300-1500 cals daily. This is usually including a protein shake in between meaks if im hungry. Its only been about 5 days for me but I cheated and stepped on my scale this morning and am already down 5 lbs...sure a lot of that could be water but its a lot more than ive been able to get off alone in the past year even though I lost 80 lbs alone 2 years ago. I find that the menu I was given is very very similar to how I ate when I lost weight before except with a LOT more veggies and fruit and im NEVER hhngry and its a LOT easier to resist temptation, something ive always struggled with. I have an eating disorder and as part of that I emotionally binge eat. This is the most progress ive had in a while so personalky I am going to give it a shot. Luckily my boyfriend and I only signed up for 4 weeks so we can cancel after that if we wish. I dont know how long you signed up for but if its short term like me I urge you to at least try it out and wirst comes to worst you end up leaving the program when your term is over and take away the tips and advice they give you. As far as the protein and kidney issue, maybe consult your doctor and have regular blood work done? Their contract does say that if you have to stop on docs orders you are entitled to a refund. Personally I wont buy their supplements...I can get equally good ones if not better elsewhere.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #11  

Thanks, SMS Dreamer. Unfortunately, I signed on for four months at $298 and was told I HAD to buy their protein drinks, which, after calculating the number required daily, is going to run $150 to $200 per month. Are you still on conditioning? My understanding (from the staff) is that the diet is about 800 calories plus the protein drinks.

I'm so glad to hear that people are doing well on the program.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Fran,

The clear protein drinks are 70 calories, and the creamy run 90-100. So, if you have 3 clear and 1 creamy per day (what I did), and adding to the 800 you mention, that is just over 1100. I know that some days I was likely closer to 1200.

I'm like Patzi, I keep between 1200-1300, and watch for something that might cause a gain. Also like her, I stay completely away from white breads, chips, potatoes. I do have animal crackers (something added on in maintenance), but pre-portion out the 8 allowed. In fact, I pre-portion EVERYTHING. I'm completely satisfied with what I have, I eat lots of fresh veggies & fruit, and protein, very little other carbs.

The headache is likely withdrawal from the carbs & stuff you have been eating, and will go away.

I used to get awful migraines before I started MRC. Since I've been on it, I've only had one. Plus, I went from a 6-10 cans of diet coke a day, plus 2 cups of coffee, to NONE! I drink pretty much only water anymore. Yesterday was an exception, we went out for lunch, and the restaurant's water was awful, so I had a diet coke. I won't buy it for at home, don't want to get back into that addiction.
MarleneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #13  
Beautiful, Sexy, Skinny

S/C/G: 320/Ticker/200

Height: 5'10

My rep told me I HAD to too till I took in the nutritional info from theirs and the one I wanted to use and explained that I understood the differences and wanted to try this first instead, I also assured them that I understood the risks of using a product that was not theirs. The oneIim using has 1-2 grams of protein more and less carbs plus zero sugar and no acidic fillers. Think about it they cant rip the money out of your gand for the supplememts and you already signed the contract and paid for the support, accountability and menus. Yes I am still on preconditioning, I get my new menu wednesday morning so I will have had 7.5 days of it by then. Honestly im probably only eating a total of 800 to 1000 cals of foid most days, I find I get so full I just cant eat more and I use mfp to track so I usualky have 25% carbs 25% protein and 50% fat and I'm fine. Im told this is close to their plan recomendation of 20% 20% 60% so ill probably just scale back a bit on the quinoa and potato portions when my plan starts. Overall im takibg their ideas and menus and slightly changing it to fit my diet and lifestyle. I dont think my boyfriend will be able to do it, he might switch to weight watchers when the 4 weeks is up but I know I can do it, I should be eating this way for my pcos anyway. My big one up here is I have had nutritional training, my minor is community health, my rep has not nor have most of the ones at mrc. What I need is menu ideas support and accounrability and that is what I pay for, the others are just extras to me and I can and will find alternatives that are equal but cheaper than their products. Im sorry my bf and I are colkege students and have 2 car payments and a mortgage. We cant afford $240 a month for just protein drinks PLUS monthly fees of 118 for 2 ppl. The 100-150 we will be paying for the one I found is much more affordable for us.
SMSDREAMER2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #14  

You know, I have tried many eating plans and have had success--- mostly with WW. and I liked WW, but this works so much better for me. The accountability keeps me from blowing it too much, and the girls at the center are SO encouraging. They never, ever push me to buy anything. Of out of supplements, I like all day weight loss the best--- it really seems to work for me. My skin has never looked better.

I truly, truly miss bananas. BUT they always tell me, you are not giving them up forever. Once your BMI gets in a certain range, it is a lot easier to be more flexible with your eating and not pay the price for the next few days. So I am holding on to that (and occasionally having a banana ;-) )

Bottom line, I felt extreme post-purchanse dissonance when I first signed up, but now it has changed my life for the better and I am really feeling like I am getting a handle on my eating issues and emotional issues as they relate to the eating.
tennesseemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #15  

I appreciate all the answers, but I'm going to go with my gut and cancel this time. You have been so supportive and helpful, but I just feel this program is not for me for various reasons. Best of luck to all of you as you continue this journey!