Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default It's the calories, stupid!

I have successfully lost weight multiple times. And I am currently having some "maintenance success," though I have gained some back from my last successful loss period.

So, somehow, I think that I should still be in the mindset and habits that helped me lose weight in the first place. I still haven't given up the "I'm watching what I eat, but this one ____ won't hurt me long term, and will help me stay on plan," which was actually helpful when I was losing. It's still true, and has been true for me so many times. But it's not the "one" thing that's the problem. It's the one thing followed by the other thing followed by the other thing. The same is true with binges. Yes, I can still lose weight even if I succumb to a binge every now and then. But succombing to binges every night = recipe for rapid weight gain. Duh, right?

So, now, I just have to acknowledge that I am no longer "on my game." I have to adopt the very stringent habits that I always do in early weight loss.

I will count every freaking calorie. Because they all matter. If I get back to where I am so concerned about calories that I can very judiciously indulge without long-term consequence -- Yay for me! I think I will get there again. But I am not there.

So, I pledge to count calories for the next seven days and to remember that every calorie counts. The Reese's peanut butter cup that was in the freezer that I had forgotten about? That equals the calories of a healthy snack that will provide me nutrition and quell the ever-vigilant hunger. The Hershey's kisses on my coworker's desk? Sure, they're small. But they add up.

All calories count. I can do this, but in order to do it, I have to go back to my mindset of being hypervigilant of calories. It starts TODAY.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

It really is a lifelong commitment isn't it? Sometimes we just have to say no for the sake of our figures, like women did years ago. As for the bingeing, can you identify your triggers? I'm trying to weed mine out at the moment, desserts with sweetener in it, tubs of ice cream, boxes of ice blocks (popsicles), Subway. These are things I prob won't ever be able to have around if I don't want to binge - oh and not denying myself is another one, if I want something I'll have a little of it in a smaller portion. I'm constantly trying to change, the way I think about food, the way I eat it, what I buy, the habits I've had in the past. It's all about learning as I go. But good on you for being able to reign yourself in and get back on track, sometimes it's just so hard to do it and it's a constant battle. Good luck with your maintenance.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Hugs

You can do this!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ugh I hate those little ba$tards, calories I mean. They lurk in freakin' everything. Sitting there all cute and innocent until they hit my a$$. LOL

good on ya Laurie, lay the smack down now when you've got the upper hand and smash the little buggers over the head

Last edited by Trazey34; 10-26-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations for finding your truth, Laurie!

I despise calorie counting, but I've also realized that I'm going to have to start counting or I won't lose. So, I'm with you!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #6  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi LaurieDawn,

Sharing this with you on the off chance it might help. Weight loss is personal journey and what works for one person might not work for another.

I've primarily done calorie counting and Weight Watchers ... both many times. As successful ways to lose and maintain weight loss, neither has worked effectively for me.

Not all calories are the same (check out the investigative work of Gary Taubes for more about that,eg, Why We Get Fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories.)

For me, it seems to matter where the calories come from. Quoting from a friend on the road to weight loss, '800 calories that are NOT from a low glycemic mix of foods will make me gain....or at the very least stall after a small loss. I have food diaries and years of personal trainer bills to prove it.'

Sugar ...blatant and hidden... and too many carbs are my enemies.

I have found success in ketogenic nutrition (I happen to be doing the Ideal Protein version of it). And it is working fantastically well.

Some people WILL NOT lose weight if the food on the diet is not a good metabolic match. For this reason, calorie counting may be like trying to empty a sealed can of tuna with a toothpick for some people... eg, like me. It doesn't work.

If there is a metabolic challenge involved, you may need to explore further afield to find a way that works.

Just sharing on the off chance that this might resonate for you. After 40 years of trying to lose weight, I am so thrilled to find a way that works for the particular body that I have been given.

Annik
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I hear 'ya. I'm on the third time through with losing the same 20 pounds. When I think about it and realize that I could be down an additional 40 pounds once I get this off this time, it just drives me a little nuts. So, I'm trying to accept that I will have times where I just eat mindlessly. But what I'm trying to change is what I eat. Instead of having an ice cream binge, I'm trying to find something sweet -- like making up whipped sugar free Jello and keeping it in the fridge all the time. Or having an apple with a couple of tablespoons of PB. I'm finally finding that it's not so much the specific food as the specific taste; i.e., for me it's salt and sweet.

Do these treats have calories? Of course they do. But at least they have healthier calories and I'm much more likely to stop eating sooner. Hope this works. I'm going to be really made at myself if I have to lose these same 20 pounds a fourth time!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #8  

Thank you all for the responses. Annik, I appreciate your insight, and I will check out your suggestions. I always love to investigate additional ways to do things. It brings a freshness to my efforts, and right now, I am still really struggling.

It's been a few days since I've checked in, and part of my goal is to check in daily now. Encouragement like this is the reason why 3FC is such an important part of my success.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Laurie, I am so glad to see familiar faces along with the newer faces. It makes me feel like I'm home, if you know what I mean. I agree with Annik about the type of calories we consume. I simply don't lose when I eat a ton of starches or sugars. I've been sugar free for 4 weeks now and I've dropped 12lbs. However, my weight loss has stalled. It's possible that I'm eating too many healthy calories. We all have to tinker until we find what works for the long haul.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #10  

I am so excited that you're here as well, Rhonda. You have always been an inspiration for me. Right now, I'm just focusing heavily on calories, but I also am keeping in mind my serious, serious carb addiction. If I eat sugar in the morning, I eat everything all day long. I allowed myself some Halloween candy last night, though. And I feel sort of okay about it. If I eat it at night, and am in the company of people that I don't want to see me pig out, I am sort of okay. A day at a time. A choice at a time. And, may I say, the first two weeks of this is really, really, really hard?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am glad to see all of you! Yeh, all those calories count. I want to agree with AnnK about the carbs. I lost a large amount of weight, just counting calories but really struggled at times. Since I started reducing my carbs, I have found it so much easier staying on plan. I still count calories but also count my carbs and keep them low. I never thought that I could give up bread, pasta, and potatoes but I don't even miss them now.

You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #12  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Laurie I am so happy you are back!!!! We have missed you!
You can definitely do this, you know you can, embrace that power and stick with it but also enjoy your life, don't let it consume you!

I am keeping track of my calories and using my pregnancy right now as a time to create healthier habits to stick with for a lifetime!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote