Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #1  

Cool Losing momentum during the day?

I'm coming back here to 3FC as I feel a need for support. I was a former Weight Watcher and that didn't seem to be working for me. I am currently using an iPhone App called LOSEIT. But, what I am using and what you are using could be completely different. Yet, the focus and ability to stick with it all is where I am truly losing it.
I start each day with motivation. I log in breakfast and then often log in lunch and then by dinnertime I have lost focus and end up having little control and interesting in the rest of my day.
I need to be accountable to someone and to have people who will beat up on me, verbally, a bit if I am not tracking my food and stop paying attention.
We eat our a great deal and I need to stop using that as an excuse to not track what I eat and not be a "good girl".
What keeps you on track and helps you stay on track?
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

What helps me stay on track is keeping a daily food diary, only weighing myself once a week and not denying myself. If I want chips or chocolate I'll have it, but in a portion that can fit into my points. That's why I found WW really worked for me, because nothing is out of bounds. I do however, try to weed out my trigger foods, foods that spark a binge, and avoid these foods. I also rarely eat fast food these days and when I do have it, I think afterwards, "That wasn't so great, why did I even bother?"

Eating out can be tricky, we used to eat out a lot before I started on WW. Now when I do go out I'm careful to choose something that won't sky rocket my points, but sometimes I just have what I want and decide that the next day will be the beginning of my weigh in week and keep going. Try not to think of it as a diet, think of it as trying to adjust your eating habits. It shouldn't really be up to others to beat up on you about how you eat, you need to take responsibility and decide to make either a good food choice or a bad one. Maybe try some exercise in the evenings to keep you on track too (exercise bike or treadmill in the living room, etc). Don't get discouraged, losing weight isn't easy (if it was we wouldn't be here we'd be out shopping, LOL). Good luck!!
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #3  

Default Thanks Happybug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybug View Post
What helps me stay on track is keeping a daily food diary, only weighing myself once a week and not denying myself. If I want chips or chocolate I'll have it, but in a portion that can fit into my points.

I keep trying to keep a diary and then for whatever reason, I drift away from it. I'm going to try really hard to log it in, even on days when I know I am not within my calories (or points or whatever it is one uses) for the day. I do think that logging things makes it more serious and makes you think twice before you reach for something you know you shouldn't really be having.

Eating out can be tricky, we used to eat out a lot before I started on WW. Now when I do go out I'm careful to choose something that won't sky rocket my points, but sometimes I just have what I want and decide that the next day will be the beginning of my weigh in week and keep going. Try not to think of it as a diet, think of it as trying to adjust your eating habits.

I appreciate those remarks as I am on my way out to have lunch with friends today. I am really not looking forward to it as I want to behave myself. One thing that has helped me be successful eating out is to look up places on line first and check out their menus.

It shouldn't really be up to others to beat up on you about how you eat, you need to take responsibility and decide to make either a good food choice or a bad one. Maybe try some exercise in the evenings to keep you on track too (exercise bike or treadmill in the living room, etc). Don't get discouraged, losing weight isn't easy (if it was we wouldn't be here we'd be out shopping, LOL). Good luck!!

Thanks so much. I do need to get back into exercise more regularly. I'm so busy. I have always had this feeling that if I didn't exercise in the mornings that I would never do it later. I'm usually so tired after dinner at night, the idea of exercise just exhausts me. I think that perhaps if I begin on my treadmill, I might actually get back into it, starting off slow even.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #4  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I too am a former WW person but now just count calories. I use myfitnesspal to log my food and exercise. You can log from both your pc or phone. I have my diary open for my 'friends' to see and they are great motivators....they scold me when I eat too little, encourage me when I go way over to get back on track, and keep me going on exercise. Like you don't have time or motivation to exercise in the am so I found for me I go right after work, then when I get home I make dinner and eat. This means I have to plan what that meal will be because I am not going to spend an hour cooking. But a chicken breast, green salad and steamed veggies can be done in less than 30! If you don't have access to a gym have a designated workout area in your home if possible and let family know you are in exercise mode.....no interruptions PERIOD.

Should you join MFP you can add me as a friend I have the same user name as here
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #5  

Thanks. I am going to continue using LOSEIT for now, but thanks for the invite and permission to add you as a friend.
I think coming back here helped me keep on track yesterday. I actually logged in everything except one thing, a dessert item (frozen yogurt) and I will go back and do that this morning.
Considering that I ate out for lunch yesterday, and I was a good girl, I was proud of myself. I opted, rather than a work out, to do 1 1/2 hours of housecleaning that really needed to be done. Imagine that, considering a good house cleaning to be exercise? Well, it is and you move and stretch, etc. I was going to do my usual slimnastics video and then get on the treadmill, but I looked around this place and I decided that what I really needed to do was move and make this place look better.
I prefer to get in my exercise in the morning, but I am going to try to make an appointment with myself to do it in the early evening on a busy day. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylmrn View Post
I too am a former WW person but now just count calories. I use myfitnesspal to log my food and exercise. You can log from both your pc or phone. I have my diary open for my 'friends' to see and they are great motivators....they scold me when I eat too little, encourage me when I go way over to get back on track, and keep me going on exercise. Like you don't have time or motivation to exercise in the am so I found for me I go right after work, then when I get home I make dinner and eat. This means I have to plan what that meal will be because I am not going to spend an hour cooking. But a chicken breast, green salad and steamed veggies can be done in less than 30! If you don't have access to a gym have a designated workout area in your home if possible and let family know you are in exercise mode.....no interruptions PERIOD.

Should you join MFP you can add me as a friend I have the same user name as here
Old 10-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

What helps for me is planning ahead rather than just winging it. That way I log the day BEFORE it starts, and I know that the entire day fits into my plan. When I first started WW years ago, I ended up severely under-eating (10-11pts/day!) because I was always trying to "save" points to make sure I had them in case I got very hungry.

Once I planned, I would keep tweaking my menu until I reached an appropriate point range. I now count calories, but the planning is the same.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #7  

Thank you for this tip! I used to plan ahead and journal in pencil on those old WW trackers and then erase and modify when the day didn't go as planned. But, having it all there in writing and even including snacks is a great idea. I had not thought of that.

I did pretty well yesterday. I am determined to get back on track. Summer vacations and travel are over with. The holiday season is not here yet, so there is no excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
What helps for me is planning ahead rather than just winging it. That way I log the day BEFORE it starts, and I know that the entire day fits into my plan. When I first started WW years ago, I ended up severely under-eating (10-11pts/day!) because I was always trying to "save" points to make sure I had them in case I got very hungry.

Once I planned, I would keep tweaking my menu until I reached an appropriate point range. I now count calories, but the planning is the same.