View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Originally Posted by VioletDolphin83 View Post
I've already got cleared by a doctor for exercise infact I've had a doctor suggest that I exercise. I live in a rural area and there are no gyms or personal trainers anywhere close by, I would have to go to the nearest city and that is over an hour of driving away. The reason I haven't stuck with any exercise program so far is because I feel as if I'm getting nowhere with it if I only have to start with just 5 minutes when I can comfortably do 10-15 minutes at a time. Sticking to just 5 minutes in a day gives me a lack of interest.
Are you listening to your doctor or are you listening to some bit of arbitrary information you don't even know where it came from? Stick to the facts, the doc says you have to exercise so start there. If you're not interested in sticking to 5min a day what makes you believe you can stick to 10-20min? I'm really not understanding the dilemma here. This whole business of adding a minute every week or whatever is dumb, someone made that up for a specific person, perhaps someone who was morbidly obese and couldn't do much possibly. The premise however is correct, start with a little and then add a bit every day or every week to accommodate your growing strength and endurance.

Do what you can, set a small goal and reach it. It could be walking for 15min, do that today. If you finish that and you feel good at the end of it, and you don't have any kind of joint pain or excessive lethargy afterwards, and if you don't wake up all sore and disgruntled then that means that walk was within your limits. Next day push it to 20min and reassess. The point is you have to set up goals for yourself and you have to start understanding what your limits are. For example, I know that I can walk 3miles and feel great the rest of the day. I also know that I cannot walk 6miles without feeling horrible at the end of the day. I know what I can do and what I can do but I only know that because i pushed myself little by little. After you exercise you should feel warm, a little tired but also have plenty of energy left, a few hours later you should still feel energized and the next day it's ok to feel a little sore but not lethargic. That's how I gauge it.

"If you pay attention to when you are hungry, what your body wants, what you are eating, when you've had enough, you end the obsession because obsession and awareness cannot coexist." - Geneen Roth

Last edited by Palestrina; 10-21-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote