Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #1  

Height: 5 foot

Default Thoughts on diet pills?

This is going to be the first time I'm actually getting very serious on losing weight. I'm not sure my exact weight but I know I am about 200 lbs and for being only 5 foot tall I need to begin thinking about my health too. So, with that being said, I could use support. I joined my local gym, and was thinking about using diet pills too. To help lose weight and curb appetite.
What does everyone feel about diet pills?
What's the best diet pill?

Last edited by DarlingAmanda; 09-30-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i dont have alot of experience with diet pills because i find that i can out-eat nearly anything, mainly because i'm not paying attention to my hunger cues to start with

the only diet pill i've tried is dexatrim max and a whole pill made my heart feel like it was going faster and i felt jittery and unfocused....however i found that a half of a pill kept my appetite down and, more importantly, kept my brain from focusing on food all the time...like it stopped the OCD thoughts, the obsessing over food...i dont take a half pill every day but i do when i find myself consistently overeating every single day
Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've tried prescription and non-prescription diet pills, and the non-prescription pills had NO effect on my hunger or metabolism. I haven't tried Zenical or Alli (orlistat), the fat blocker because I have IBS and couldn't risk the bowel effects.

I have found though that for me, low-carb eating acts as a much stronger appetite suppressant than even prescription stimulant diet pills.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

I agree with above poster. Eat clean non processed foods and limit your self to good carbs will drop that weight. I have lost almost 50lbs in 4 months and if I can do this anyone can.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I used fen-phen in the 90's. I lost over 100 pounds quite easily but gained them all back after I had to discontinue their use after it was learned that it damage your heart. After discontinuing the fen-phen used the phentermine component alone for a short time. It had too many side effects.

I am really afraid of diet pills now. Like Kaplods, I have IBS so I am afraid of the effects of fat blockers. My current doctor likes TENUATEŽ (diethylpropion). I took this for about a month to help me get back under control. Even then, I broke the pill in half because I thought the dosage was higher than needed. I am very afraid that I will just regain any weight that I lose on diet pills.

Like Kaplods, I also have found that a low carb diet acts as an appetite suppressant.

So I guess my opinion is that diet pills can be a short term help to give the low carb diet time to kick in.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #6  

I used phentermine. Ultimately it didn't work. It seemed I got used to eat too easily. If I had 10 lbs to lose... maybe.. but anything over 3 months. Wouldn't work.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #7  
FIGHTER

S/C/G: 296/TICKER/178

Height: 5'5''

I don't really think any of those diet pills do what they claim (at least the over the counter fad market ones) - I think the people that experience success with them get it as a placebo effect of commiting to diet and exercise anyway, regardless of the pills
Old 10-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/213/130

Height: 5'8"

Artificial energy makes me uneasy. I come from an extreme circumstance, where my longest "work day" was about 76 hours and a "good nights sleep" was more than 4 hours (I was in the military). I was pretty much forced to rely on products to "boost" energy. Needless to say, I spent a few years exhausted all of the time, unable to sleep, and sick. I even passed out a couple of times, and ended up with a concussion one of them.

Now that I no longer need them (in order to NOT fall asleep with my hands in a few thousand volts) I avoid them like the plague. I drink a lot of water, and take a multi-vitamin in the mornings (it has my B vitamins in it)....and I finally get the amount of sleep my body needs!! Life doesn't always line up to be able to do stuff the healthy way.... but when it does, I think it's better...even if it is less convenient.

Again, this is just my experience with this stuff (one of the guys I worked with used hydroxycut...not only to lose weight, but because there were so much energy-boosting properties to it, and he was in just as bad of health over it as I was).

But, all things in moderation, I guess. I'm sure they work wonders for many people, otherwise they wouldn't sell so many. I'm just leery, so don't mind me.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Closed this post because OP has not been back online since she first posted it. We really do not support diet pills.
Closed Thread