Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question I am thinking of going to WW meetings again

Hi,

I want to get my weight under control, Lord knows I have tried so many different times and ways. I was thinking of going to a nutritionist but it is more expensive and time consuming for me to do that, especially because she is an hour away. There is a WW group center in my town, the nutritionist who I spoke with suggested going there if I wanted something more affordable. I have tried WW online and I don't think that alone that is enough for me, I think I would benefit from the meetings. I did meetings awhile ago, and I reached my 10% goal, I had a leader that I liked and I had some success. She isn't in this area but I may try this center out. The only thing I didn't like about the meetings was that at times it felt like a competition, I didn't like that. What I mean is that one person would brag about losing 5 lbs then another would boast that they lost 10 lbs and well, when I had lost less than others, I felt inferior. Maybe that is my own personal issue but I did feel that. Also, I think it is important to find a leader that I click with, I used to go to another leader's meeting and she was very nice and fun but very high energy and a little wild. I feel that sometimes cliques form in these meetings, that is another concern. I really want to try it again in a few weeks once I can bear weight on my ankle to weigh in, I just have a few anxieties, I guess. I think it could be a sense of support for me and maybe get me on a good track. Also, there are eTools available to members, that is a perk.

What are all of your experiences with meetings?

Thanks!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/188/150

Height: 5'2

I love my weekly meeting
my leader ROCKS!!! and our group has become very close
so if you don't like the first one try another...go there for YOU not anyone else
SarainMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

For me, the meetings are key. I've done online and it just didn't work.

It isn't that I ever learn anything new at meetings. I've been to hundreds of meeting (I'm a relapsed lifetime member) so there really is nothing new.

So what do I get from it?

First, it keeps me focused on losing weight. When I'm going to meetings I know that I put weight loss first. When I don't go to meetings, it is much easier for me to put other things first and weight loss tends to go by the wayside.

Second, it gives me a short term goal. I like to have a long-term goal, but I've learned that I do better if I focus more on a smaller goal. So, when I attend meetings, my goal is simple: Stay within my points this week and show a loss when I go to weigh in.

It is easy to meet the goal because I am at most focusing on 7 days. I can do almost anything for 7 days. I don't think about how long it will take to lose all my weight I want to lose. All I focus on it my weigh in next week.

If the week starts getting difficult (usually around day 5), I tell myself to hang in there for just 2 days.

And, then when I weigh in, I start over. But the first day or two I usually eat out and eat about half of my weekly points. And then for the next few days I eat only a few weekly points each day, then the last 2 days I usually don't eat any (but could if I was really hungry or had a special occasion).

But everything is structured around the meeting and weigh in. So it works for me.

I've had lots of leaders. A few have been outstanding. Some I've really not liked at all. Most are just sort of OK. So, if I go to a meeting with an OK leader I try to look around for one that is better. But really the leader is less important that just the accountability and structure of going to the meeting.

Oh - In the hundreds of meetings I've been too I've never heard anyone bragging about weight loss. Usually the leader does give out 5 pound loss awards or people getting to goal and so on. But I've never heard anyone brag about it.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #4  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

I love the meetings. Generally, the people are very caring and supportive. They really understand the challenges of losing weight.

I didn't experience any cliques and the leaders I have had have all been pretty good. Keep trying to find the leader and group that is right for you. The meetings do provide structure, support and important information.

I hope you will give it a try. I think you will like it!

Last edited by doingmybest; 10-19-2013 at 03:55 AM.
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #5  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I liked the meetings. I feel like you can share tips and utilize new that you wouldn't have thought of unless mentioned by another member. Weighing in consistently makes you more accountable. No "I'm skipping weigh in, bad week."
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #6  
Living in the moment!

S/C/G: 252/242/150

Height: 5'3"

I really enjoyed the meetings...while the regular leader was out after surgery. After she came back, they were not for me. She was not supportive at all, and actually pretty snarky and critical. She actually would talk about member's weights, which was such a violation! It took me back to the days of school, when the teacher had pets and were praised for everything. Just not a good environment for me. When I left, I actually wrote a letter and called WW to let them know why I quit. I finally got a call back, and was told they would investigate. That was two years ago. Still there. I live in a rural area, and it is a 45 min drive to another meeting, and just not compatible with my schedule. Sure wish I could go though!

Kenda
Kendah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #7  
Goal is health

I've heard of a lot of people being dissatisfied with their leaders. I, at one time, thought of trying to get employment with weight watchers. Probably not.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByAmbition View Post
I've heard of a lot of people being dissatisfied with their leaders. I, at one time, thought of trying to get employment with weight watchers. Probably not.
I signed up today for weight watchers. My goal was really just to have the scale as accountability. I got shuffled into the meeting and I thought it was just horrible. I was very disappointed. There were lots of platitudes that seemed like they came out of vogue or something. The leader didn't even have control over the group as they talked the entire time. I also considered working for a weight loss plan but I feel like maybe they want it this way.

I have seriously considered founding my own diet plan. Seriously.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #9  
Goal is health

Sorry to hear about such bad experiences.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #10  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I find it interesting how people have such different experiences. I have had some great experiences, some I didn't care for as much. I think I will try the meetings in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote