Old 10-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1  

Default Return of joint aches with Phase 3

Felt great, without all of my old aches and pains, until I started Phase 3. Has this happened with anyone else?
cassiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiemac View Post
Felt great, without all of my old aches and pains, until I started Phase 3. Has this happened with anyone else?
Gluten sensitivity manifests in some people with joint pain....are you eating bread, wheat? I suspect the quantities of gluten containing foods has increased from the amount / frequency you may have had gluten with IP products. Maybe dairy is an aggravator?
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am not on IP. If you want to get rid of your joint pain eat oily fish e.g. anchovies, sardines, rainbow trout, salmon, mackeral. And try glucosamine and chondroitin as a supplement. All have worked wonders for me.

Last edited by IanG; 10-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yes with phase 3 all kinds of issues came back including joint pain and rapid weight gain. I just can't handle grains and dairy. So it's a phase 2 type life for me.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #5  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Gluten sensitivity manifests in some people with joint pain....are you eating bread, wheat? I suspect the quantities of gluten containing foods has increased from the amount / frequency you may have had gluten with IP products. Maybe dairy is an aggravator?
No joint pain but I experienced a return of a gassy tummy, sorry if TMI, but I suspect this is the reason. Now that I am starting P4 in the morning I am dumping grain and dairy for a while to see if that is the case. Got my paleo recipes ready to go.
CrystalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #6  

A deficiency in vitamin D can cause joint pain. I was in my early 20s when I experienced this. Apparently, most people who don't supplement are deficient.

If you haven't been taking a vitamin/mineral supplement, taking one every day might help.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #7  

Thanks for the input. I have been gradually eliminating what I have thought to be the culprits, but need to go totally back to phase 2 for a while to clear out my system and then re-introduce one at a time!
I keep hearing about paleo. how does it compare to IP?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #8  

I'm reading a LOT about magnesium deficincy as well.
It seems to be as prevalent as vitamin D deficincy and can certainly explain all the joint pain (esp coupled with wheat & gluten).

I didn't learn about it here but this iss a grat resource http://gotmag.org/

I also posted several months back about the return to tummy problems that I had when I entered p3. I found some resources that clearly blamed the carbs and gut health. I'll re-look for those.

For paleo info, all you have to do is google. It is a VERY popular way of eating. Some also do primal, which isn't as restrictive as paleo.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #9  

Thanks. Don't think it's the supplements. I have been adding magnesium, D3 all along. And especially the potassium, too. Learned that the hard way!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #10  

Then my money would be on the gluten & wheat

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-19-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #11  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I am not on IP. If you want to get rid of your joint pain eat oily fish e.g. anchovies, sardines, rainbow trout, salmon, mackeral. And try glucosamine and chondroitin as a supplement. All have worked wonders for me.
Great advice, I'm going to recommend for hubby. He's not on IP but has lots of joint pain that he thinks he just has to live with.
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Since it just came back with phase 3, I'm more inclined to look at the foods that phase 3 adds. This is when it is important for ONLY IPers who understand the diet to join in. The above advice would be more "mainstream" and would be great for people without the specific concern of the OP but doesn't explain the symptom change immediately after entering IP phase 3.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #13  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Since it just came back with phase 3, I'm more inclined to look at the foods that phase 3 adds. This is when it is important for ONLY IPers who understand the diet to join in. The above advice would be more "mainstream" and would be great for people without the specific concern of the OP but doesn't explain the symptom change immediately after entering IP phase 3.
+1 That's essentially what happened in my case. Since my symptoms started when I added back in grains and dairy, those were the most likely culprits. It turned out I was celiac. (I ultimately found out I have Crohn's as well, but that's another story ...)
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #14  

It's been a few weeks while I tested out all of our theories. #1 culprit: wheat, but I've found the dairy and the fruit are only tolerable in small amounts. As someone mentioned, the best is an (embellished) phase 2...adding restricted veggies such as all of the seasonal squashes, tomatoes, etc.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Lisa, It's amazing how many people have intolerance to fruits. That used to be unheard of years ago, but more and more there appears to be an uptick in fruit sensitivities, even things like apple, avocado and melon!! Berries and citrus were more commonly noted as an allergen from fruits in the past as I recall from my days in the lab when testing first went beyond initial skin reaction tests. Now kiwi, pineapple and also some green veggies like asparagus and celery are showing up in test profiles. A cross reactivity/sensitivity to other plant allergens is what we were told when our grandaughter tested positive for almost everything that grows in the dirt. Seriously...she was on white rice and grilled meat for about 12 months after beginning shots for food allergies a few years ago. I suspect the hybridization of a lot of our produce has fostered this. Couple that with a diet where some of that is restricted and BINGO...there will be some who react quite strongly to the reintroduction.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote