Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Podcast or Audio Books on Weight Loss/Health?

I read this really interesting article yesterday about a study done in 2009 where study participants listened to a podcasts and how it affected their weight loss.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/sep...h/he-capsule21

Participants were randomly divided into two groups. The control group listened to a popular weight-loss podcast currently on the market. The study group listened to a weight-loss podcast based on social cognitive theory, the belief that some learning can come from emulating the behavior of those we want to be like; it included an audio journal of someone else trying to lose weight, on whom they could model their behavior.

After three months, the study group lost an average 6.4 pounds and one point in their body mass index. The control group lost an average of 0.7 pounds and lost 0.1 BMI point. The study appears online in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

I listen to podcasts and audiobooks when going to and from work and sometimes when I run. I have a ton of favorites but VERY FEW on health and weight loss. I enjoyed Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules audiobook (mostly because Bob Harper is a hottie and I would listen to him read the phone book). But I do NOT like Jillian Michael's podcast (I love her -- even more than Bob-- but only 1/3 of it is worthwhile and the rest is really annoying chatter). I am going to try her new book (Slim for Life) on audiobook because she's narrating it and it will be more focused.

Does anyone have a favorite podcast or audiobook that is health and wellness related that they recommend?

There are SO MANY podcasts out there that seem like marketing scams.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I am going to come back to this thread and note the podcasts and books I've been trying out.

Audiobooks:
Slim for Life (Jillian Michaels) - Really not doing it for me. If you're going to read this book, do it in the paper format. A lot of the audio book is her reading lists. Super boring.

The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg) - Fascinating listen. All about the science behind creating good and bad habits and what we need to break them.

Podcasts:
Making Mountains Move - I don't know WHAT this guy is selling but whatever it is, I am not buying. I should have know something sleazy was going on by the fact that all the reviews for his podcasts were 5 stars but really didn't say what the podcast was about. He does a lot of talking about getting motivated but not really HOW to do that. Terrible, terrible podcast.

Fit Girl: Your Guide to Getting in Shape - Not impressed. She seems nice enough but pretty boring. I'll try this podcast once more but overall, it just didn't seem like there was any content.

Half Size Me - Okay, now THIS is what I am talking about. A real person with a real story talking to other real people. I started with episode #88 where she talks about her story and I found it a excellent listen. So far, I highly recommend this.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #3  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I've never even thought about weightloss podcasts! What an interesting article! I'm also finding the reviews helpful so please don't stop. I'll check out Half Size Me for sure!
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #4  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

I've also never thought about weightloss/health podcasts. That's a really neat idea! I'll have to look into it. Thanks for listing the ones you've tried! I'm going to go check on some now.. Pretty excited about it haha.

Last edited by pixiefalls; 10-18-2013 at 11:19 PM.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I'm pulling up this older post to mention a podcast that I've found helpful. Not just for weight loss, but for making some other changes in my life. It was recommended by somebody here, can't remember who.

After being pulled into the series by a particularly motivational episode, I went back and started at episode one with a notebook. I'm only up to episode 23, but this post reminded me to go back and work through some more episodes.

http://podcasts.personallifemedia.co...ut-weight-loss
mrainy is offline   Reply With Quote