Default October Chat

Hope to see you all here soon!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #2  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Hi everyone: I have been able to stick to plan. On Saturday I worked really hard to stick to it, which was incredibly hard.
In addition to having a couple of cookies on Friday night, we had a very stressful and difficult day at work. None the less I am still on plan, and doing ok.
Right now though, I have a really nasty cold. I can't get cough syrup with codeine that is sugar free. I did get some nice sugar free cough drops. I also think cold tablets affect my sugars. I am not taking any today and am taking a sick day, but the cough is bad, and I will need something tonight. I am not sleeping well because of the cough.
And of course, being sick is affecting my exercise. I plan to do some gentle warm yoga here at home later today.
I am hoping to be below 180 for good after the weekend, or sooner.
Madeleine, glad to hear you are sticking to plan I do hope your cold gets better. I agree that regular cough syrup and drops affect our bs. I'm so glad that Halls makes a sugar free cough drops. I wish tussin would make a tussin CF for diabetics it would work so much better to get below the 180's soon
Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi. I have been having computer problems. I could get online, but it was such a horrible experience I avoided it. I think I finally got the problem straightened out. No problems all day today.

Sounds like everyone here is doing well, except for Mad and her cold. Hope you feel better soon. I usually don't take any cough or cold meds because of my sugar, and also my BP. I do use Halls SF cough drops, though. The only thing I take that is not prescribed by my doctor is Tylenol, occasionally. I don't want anything to interfere with my meds.

Nothing has changed for me, unfortunately, but I'm still not giving up, just smacking myself in the head every once in a while!

Carry on!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #4  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, good to hear you're doing well. I need to smack myself periodically ... maybe I could knock some constant sensible eating into play

I had to go to urgent care yesterday due to really bad back spasms. Had me moaning out in pain. I had this problem before but wasn't diagnosed as a diabetic back then. So far the medicine I'm taking for my back hasn't affected my bs readings at all thank goodness. I'm better today than yesterday. Praying for better better

Oh I got a new meter, the Bayer Contour Next USB. Walmart had it for $20 and the test strips I found online 100 for $29. My old meter which I will still use until the end of this months when my test strips expire (it's $80 for the test strips out of pocket) so I had to go a new route in order to keep testing. I also bought an A1c test kit. Have any of you used one before? I haven't used it yet but I will soon. It's made by Reli On.

Well hope all is well as can be with you all
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. Still struggling to heal from the cracked ribs. Did get bloodwork done last week and HA1c is up a tad but still in the controlled diabetic range at .061, I really want to see it back in the .05s next time. My cholesterol is fine though.

Certainly is difficult dealing with cracked ribs. I can finally get a good night of sleep though which makes the days less dozy. Food is a tad "carby' though - friends are bringing me things like bean and pea soups plus pasta casseroles. One friend brought me a zucchini loaf that she said would be OK since there was no sugar. (It was sweetened with honey!)

I'm hoping to be able to do a bank run later today. Getting in and out of the car is difficult but I just need to get back into a normal routine. I'm missing MOD meetup this weekend and am feeling a bit sad about that.

This morning I will make some chicken and veggie soup which should perk me up. Weight has been pretty much on hold and I need to get it moving downward again.

Be well.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #6  
~Rennie

Ruth I must have missed something. I didn't know you had cracked your ribs. I'm sorry to hear that. My spasms which are getting better are nothing compared to what you are dealing with. I do have a little trouble getting in and out of a vehicle, I've found that it doesn't matter high or low. Last night I actually slept with little pain and used the bathroom today for the first time without it taking forever to wipe, LOL. Who knew the things that would be difficult with back/rib issues. I pray for healing for you and me or at least more comfort until we are healed. Sorry about the carby foods but at least they are trying, maybe you could offer some suggestions without hurting their feelings, just a thought. Glad you got your bloodwork done. Hope you have a good day

Weight was up this morning to 188 up .6 from yesterday. fbs was 233 not good I know.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie Glad you finally got your blood work done. So sorry about the cracked rib. I pray you have a quick recovery. You are a busy lady so I know this has to be difficult for you.

Rennie Sorry about the back spasms. I have back aches a lot especially in the evening. For me, I know a lot of my problems would go away if I could get just 25 to 30 lbs off. Still working on that one.

Carol Sue So glad you got the computer working again. I am having a problem with mine because I've some how gotten a certificate that will not let me sign in to my MSN and Hotmail account on my laptop. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. So I've had to change my homepage to yahoo. Some times I just hate these modern technology, but then I also appreciate a lot of it as well.

Fatmad It is good to see you posting again and glad you've been able to get back OP. Keep checking in.

Bonnie Hope your knee is doing better and you are okay.

I ended September with a gain, but it is coming back down and my fbs is lower again, but still not where it needs to be. I have been seeing some good lows for me so I will keep trucking.

Busy afternoon so I won't linger. DH has a blood draw to check thickness of blood and then we will go out to eat. Sam's has finally opened a store in our town and we are going to go walk around there and see what we can purchase there that we used to travel to Charlotte to get at Costco. Will be nice to have them here. We always make doctor visit days our days to get out for a while. So I'll try to get back here again soon.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #8  
~Rennie

thanks Trish, I know it would help if I could get this weight off also. Glad you'll have less travel time with the new store opening, saving gas is a big plus to me

My weight stayed the same 188, fbs 227. I bought a new meter which I think I mentioned but haven't got any feedback yet. The new meter shows lower numbers and I am wondering if it is because the strips I have left for the old meter expire the end of this month. I went on the website from the urgent care that I went to and pulled a lot of great information on how to eat better and balance the carbs out correctly. I'm doing one of the meal plans today and prayerfully I will see a difference. I really need something that will convert the carbs for me. I'm trying to get in to see a nutritionist to get some help. I found one close but it's a bit pricey so I will definitely keep looking. Back to work today, walked with my daughter to the bus stop this morning, doing ok not as well as I'd like, son has plans for tomorrow that will be more walking. Praying for strength and endurance.

I hope you all have a great day
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
I went on the website from the urgent care that I went to and pulled a lot of great information on how to eat better and balance the carbs out correctly. I'm doing one of the meal plans today and prayerfully I will see a difference. I really need something that will convert the carbs for me. I'm
trying to get in to see a nutritionist to get some help. I found one.
Rennie Could you send me the website you went to either on the thread or PM. I personally believe that balancing the carbs are important for nutrition especially for me. I would like to see what the site has to say about it. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #10  
~Rennie

Trish it's a link through the Duke Medicine portal, I had to enter my medical number from the urgent care. I typed diabetes into their search engine and it has 585 matching files. I don't know that you will be able to access it but I PM'd you what was in the browser.

I could maybe email what I found interesting if you want to PM me your email address, it is 19 pages long. There is a ton of information there and it's the closes I've come to answering the questions I wanted answered regarding carbs until I can get to a nutritionist.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #11  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

happy October friends. next weekend will be our Thanksgiving, and I am planning for hosting with some nice anticipations.
I will make a pie for others, but will make other desserts for me. Haven't decided yet on pumpkin pudding or pumpkin cheesecake, and always an apple something.
I have been sticking to plan and the scale is moving, so I have moved my ticker. I am slightly constipated, but got some insoluable fibre in there today, hope that will help.
Bad combo of very busy work life with lost sleep and one co-worker who is being a knob. Sigh, I guess it just has to be that way.
Cold and cough much better, DH also has it and we slept in separate beds for a bit so maximize sleep, but we are doing well enough to be able to snuggle up to sleep again.

Rennie: every metre will read a bit differently, so lower numbers doesn't mean your own numbers have dropped, but that the metre reads lower. It may be more accurate as well. Take it with you if you get blood work done and do comparisons for a while.
Have been reading a lot of medical research about type 2: the research doesn't support doing testing much if at all. However, the research also doesn't talk about people changing eating habits based on the testing. I really rarely eat bread and rarely have spikes now due to changes based on testing when first diagnosed. There is no way that this is not better for me overall.
I don't test too often these days, I am eating well generally, I know what makes my sugars spike, and I take my meds and they are working well for me. So I test 4 times a week at most now. (2 fasting and two at other times, like 2 hours after a meal, or to check on a different food. )
For the rest of us, what is your goal in testing? how often do you test now?
Is it helpful in changing behaviours for you?

Ruth: hope you feel better soon. Taping doesn't help heal, but does help movement if you are having trouble. Ouch.
Helloes to my other friends, keep in touch
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #12  

Mad - I have also heard that testing is not really recommended for Type2, mainly because there's not much we can do to lower a high reading, like Type1s inject insulin. My doctor explained that this is why insurance won't pay for very many strips. I think it's important to test throughout the day if you are not in control because it will tell you what spikes and what doesn't. Right now I am so out of control that I rarely test.

Rennie - When I was diagnosed they gave me a Bayer meter because that was the latest thing out. The strips were too expensive for me so I switched to One Touch. Now, with Medicare, I am having a problem finding the strips. They keep changing where I'm supposed to order from, so I gave up. I have a wavesense meter from Target and have used it for the past couple years. I recently saw that the strips for the WalMart Relion meter are so much cheaper than the ones at Target so when I run out of strips I will buy a Relion Meter. I have never used an at-home A1c test. How do they work? Do they give you results right then and there?

Trish - I will warn your to be careful about Yahoo. I belong to a forum on Yahoo and many people have a lot of issues with viruses through Yahoo. So bad that I haven't even posted on the forum for about a year and have discontinued emails from the forum. I didn't have problems, but I am afraid to take the chance because I am not good at fixing things. I have my computer working well and I think I know what the problem is. I use Firefox and my husband still uses Internet Explorer. After he has been on here, I have been finding Malware that is getting through somehow. I don't know if it's because of IE or from the websites he visits. He says the malware is my fault, but he doesn't know any more than I do, and I only find the malware after he has been on the PC. So I am assuming..... It still doesn't make sense to me that my virus protection would work for Firefox but not for IE. But I am a novice when it comes to technical issues.

Ruth - Good for you for getting your bloodwork done. See, it wasn't as bad as you expected! I hope your ribs heal quickly, and also Rennie's back.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #13  

I have decided that the first thing I'm going to do every morning is look at the size of my belly in my full length mirror. LOL I record my stats on FitDay and before my surgery my abdomen measured 39.5 inches. After my surgery I gained 10 lbs and my abdomen measured 42 inches. Now I have gained another 5 lbs and now it's 45 inches. I have not gained any inches anywhere else. I know that a big part of the problem is that any muscle tone I had is gone since they cut through my abdominal muscle, twice. Any more and I'm going to have trouble standing erect. LOL If I look at that belly every time I want to eat something it might change my eating habits. It cannot all be blamed on the surgery. I remember years ago my waist measured 27 and I was trying to get it down to 25. Where did I go wrong?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #14  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Where did any of us go wrong Carol Sue? for me it was lack of exercise, eating to stay away, and a real addiction to baked goods. Also, unfortunately, in my youth, I could get away with it all and over eat and not gain weight, so I had terrible eating habits, that I have failed to change over time.
Have managed to stay on target this week.
I do think I am getting shingles though. I had them about 25 years ago on my left hip. I have this irritation a bit lower down, where the thigh meets the butt on that side, and it reminds me of that. No rash yet, and the doc says I don't get the meds until the rash comes out. Using my Livrelief nerve pain cream, slightly effective. Would prefer it not to be shingles though......
Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #15  

I had shingles around 6 years ago. I was in so much pain over Thanksgiving but I would not go to the hosp because I was hosting the holiday dinner. I went to the ER the next day because of the intense pain and the rash came out while I was sitting in the waiting room. I got a burning sensation on my belly and up popped three little blisters. My daughter had it in high school. In the couple months before I got it there were about 5 people at work who had it. After I had it my son got it and not long after that my son-in-law got it. I am afraid to get the shot for fear it will trigger it. I hope you don't have it, but I also hope whatever you have is not serious and goes away quickly.

I started gaining weight around 20 years of age, when I went out into the work world and started eating lunch in restaurants and doing more socializing with friends. Overweight runs in my family. I kept my weight around 130 until I got married at 35 years old but it was a constant battle. I started cooking for instant family...my 2 step children moved in with us, and I let my eating get out of control, plus I quit exercising. I could shoot myself for letting that happen. I can't blame it on anyone but myself. But enough blame. Just get back in control asap.
Closed Thread