General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 352/263.2/170

Height: 69"

Default Cedar Point walk of shame anxiety MF

So my husband wants to go to CP for our first anniversary. Last time I was there I was 10lbs lighter and they barely got me on millennium force. It straps around my hips on that ride instead of waist. I was a 16/18 then and 18/20 now. I heard rumors they made the belts longer, but I'm just as scared at walk of shame as I am about telling my husband I don't wantto even wait and be told i can't go, in front of my 150 lb husband who hasn't realized I'm overweight yet. I tried talking to him about it and his response was, "I don't get it. We went before." He's never had to know the difference 10lbs makes. I don't know what to do!
skatardrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Call and ask if they did make the belts longer. An embarrassing phone call is a lot better than potentially being embarrassed in person.
Kaliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

No idea what cedar point is or what exactly you're talking about but I'm guessing it's some sort of activity that requires a harness like ziplining or something like that.

You're at a cross roads, you're at the point where you're too uncomfortable to do something but would really like to. My advice? Go with it! Once you give in to your insecurities about weight then it's hard to go back and feel secure again, even if you do lose weight. Try sharing your thoughts about your husband and then maybe find out some information by calling this place and asking about the weight/height limits before you go, no need to fret when you can have the actual facts.

I know this is a strange thing to compare it to but for me I was at a crossroads this summer about wearing sleeveless tops. I've always worn sleeveless tops, I always kind of liked my arms eventhough they're not skinny. A couple of years ago I started getting too nervous about wearing spaghetti straps and so I stopped. I haven't been able to feel comfortable enough to wear them again even though my arms look pretty much the same. This summer I struggled with wearing sleeveless but I forced myself to and glad I did because I know that once I start covering my arms then my willpower to go sleeveless again will go away!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatardrummer View Post
So my husband wants to go to CP for our first anniversary. Last time I was there I was 10lbs lighter and they barely got me on millennium force. It straps around my hips on that ride instead of waist. I was a 16/18 then and 18/20 now. I heard rumors they made the belts longer, but I'm just as scared at walk of shame as I am about telling my husband I don't wantto even wait and be told i can't go, in front of my 150 lb husband who hasn't realized I'm overweight yet. I tried talking to him about it and his response was, "I don't get it. We went before." He's never had to know the difference 10lbs makes. I don't know what to do!
It's your anniversary? Shouldn't you do something you BOTH want to do? That seems like a good enough reason not to go. You've tried to explain. If he had any sensitivity at all, he'd back off and save you the potential embarrassment. Choose something else fun that suits you BOTH.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #5  

Sorry Wannabeskinny. Didn't think about explaining. It's like six flags but it's the biggest foster park I think in the world. I did just go for it before, but I don't want to waste 2 hours in line and have to take the walk. Really I could care less what the other people think. But I'd like to preserve my husband's point of view. He loves me for me but he's also one of those guys who doesn't notice details. He's not going to notice anything about my weight or anything else unless a big deal is made about it. I think most good hearted people are that way. It's more for me I don't want in the back of my mind that my husband watched me get shame walked in public for being overweight.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #6  

Secondhalf, oh I want to go to CP more than anything!!!! I'm just scared of being shamed on MF. It may not even happen, but I worry. I like kaliii's idea. I think I will call an ask if they can find out. Millennium has the worst design. It's like sitting on a platform with folding chairs. The seatbelt runs from the floor by the back legs, so it goes aroun your waist, hips, and part of your butt. The seatbelts on that ride are the single greatest complaint. You'd think they'd do something about it.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

My husband had to take that walk last year. We were at Universal Studios and he was trying to get on the Rock N Roll Roller coaster. It was the first ride he tried (I don't do roller coasters) and it set the mood for the rest of the night.

Call ahead! Every other ride in the park he was fine on, just not that one. We even got on the Mummy..... I almost committed homicide on the people that swore to me it wasn't a roller coaster LOL. I screamed and cried the entire time, got off shaking like a leaf and so ticked off I could barely speak coherently. And it's not even a major coaster. Yeah, I've long ago accepted that I am a wuss with coasters

Amusement parks are on my top 10 reasons for getting skinny list!
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #8  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I had to take that walk at the beginning of the year. My husband had to do it for the first time a few weeks ago on one ride at Magic Mountain.

If it means anything...I was able to get on the rides at one of the local amusement parks when I was your weight...of course there were a few that were a bit tight still, and my husband is well over your weight and he fits on everything except that one ride. But I also realize that people carry their weight differently.

You can try a few things, check online...all of our parks here have a section online that explains what size the rides are for. Here it is 225 lbs or size 18-20. I am obviously more than 225 lbs but I wear a 18-20. Or like another poster suggested, call ahead. There are also usually a few seats on the rides that have bigger seats or belts. You can discreetly ask the ride operator when you get to the front.

OR

Have the hubby change his mind. Suggest something more romantic, private whatever. Or just be honest with him. My husband is like yours, he does not notice bad things about me at all. He barely notices bad things about himself. It is great. Super supportive...until it is not and it becomes enabling. Just sit the hubs down, ask him to really LOOK at you and recognize that there is an issue, and while he may not be able to understand it, ask that he understand how you feel, and that you are not comfortable right now with going to an amusement park that may cause you embarrassment. If your husband is as much like mine as I suspect, he will not want to in any way be the cause of your discomfort or embarrassment and will be OK with changing plans.

You can always use the Cedar Point trip as a reward for a mini goal
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #9  

Height: 5'2"

I'm so sorry that you're having trouble making hubby see this! I would just be honest with him and suggest an alternative activity.You could try one of various indoor water park/lodge attractions around the Great Lakes. There are several on Erie; Splash Lagoon and Great Wolf Lodge come to mind. Great Wolf Lodge even has a location in Sandusky. That way it would be something that would be very fun and you wouldn't have to worry about the walk of shame.

Conversely, this could make a motivator/mini goal and reward. When is your anniversary? Is there any hope of losing the 10 pounds safely and sanely by then?
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #10  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatardrummer View Post
Secondhalf, oh I want to go to CP more than anything!!!! I'm just scared of being shamed on MF. It may not even happen, but I worry. I like kaliii's idea. I think I will call an ask if they can find out. Millennium has the worst design. It's like sitting on a platform with folding chairs. The seatbelt runs from the floor by the back legs, so it goes aroun your waist, hips, and part of your butt. The seatbelts on that ride are the single greatest complaint. You'd think they'd do something about it.

An overweight woman died after falling from a roller coaster here in Texas this summer. The seat belts are there for a reason and hopefully engineered to be foolproof in holding people in their seats. I second calling the park to ask. I'm sure they're all aware of the safety issues and would be glad to inform you of any size guidelines or restrictions.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote