Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default Morning shakes ?

Does anyone do a morning shake instead of food? Is it healthier ? Should you eat something with it ? And what should you put in it ? Wanted to start shakes wasn't sure if it was a good idea ...and if it isn't healthier then what should i eat in the morning !? Thanks
AmberJ241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #2  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I do a morning shake because I work so early in the morning. I use unsweetened almond milk and a scoop of protein powder (right now I'm using click espresso powder). It's a better option than some things (donuts, waffles, pancakes, poptarts). For me it's easy and I know I'm getting some protein and nutrition from the powder and there's lots of added vitamins in almond milk. It really keeps me full for most of the day - no crash! Mid morning I'll usually have a hard boiled egg, apple or yogurt.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #3  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Just an update, I got some fit frappe powder in the mail - REALLY yummy stuff. the mocha smells to die for, I had the chai with some unsweetened almond milk and it was yummy yummy
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I do morning shakes! I use 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a couple handfuls of baby spinch, 1/2 frozen banana and 1 cup pineapple. Sometimes i'll do an evening shake if I don't feel like cooking and use almost the same recipe. I swap out the pineapple for 2 tablespoons of cocoa and I use a whole frozen banana instead.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #5  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Most mornings I fill up my Nutribullet with some frozen fruit, spinach, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, and small handful of walnuts, with light prune juice and/or light orange juice as a base. It's so yummy and definitely keeps me satisfied until lunch.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

I started making shakes for breakfast when I had to go into work at 6:45. I'm usually not hungry that early so the shake helps get something in my stomach to last for a few hours. I usually put some spinach, kale, radish, carrots, green apples, and whatever other fruit I have available with almond milk and blend. It's super convenient and I love it. Sometimes I need a snack before noon but most days, the shake will last me until lunch time.
Ladybug10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/147

Height: 5'8"

My go to shake these days is the Vega One nutritional shake in natural flavor. One scoop and 16 ounces of water in a blender bottle and I'm off to work. It tastes good and provides lots of good nutrients in a convenient drink.
konablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I have a coffee protein shake 3x a week for breakfast. I freeze leftover coffee from the day before and blend that with 3/4 a cup of low fat milk and a scoop of vanilla protein powder. It is delicious, caffeinated and keeps me full for hours.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Healthier? Not necessarily.

For weight loss, you want to maximize nutrients and satiety (the satisfaction and fullness factor), while reducing calories (and if you have blood sugar/insulin issues you may also have to consider carbs).

You can do that with shakes, but you don't have to, so choose whichever you prefer and find most convenient and most satisfying.

If you find shakes a satisfying and perhaps even self-indulgent treat - awesome.

If you find them revolting sludge you have to choke down holding your nose and follow with a water chaser to rinse away the vile aftertaste, then don't bother.

I find most RTD and flavored powders too revolting to consider. I do like my own shakes, made with some combination of frozen fruit, milk, yogurt, almond milk, and unflavored and unsweetened, undenatured whey protein isolate (which is made without heat and dissolves and tastes better than the standard heat-processed whey proteins).

If the fruit isn't very ripe, I do add a bit of splenda or other low-calorie sweetener, but with bananas or pineapple I find it usually isn't necessary.

You can put anything you want in a shake and you can eat something with it, or not - your choice and depending on what you put in your shake and whether you want something with it.

A lot of people put veggies in their shakes, but because I like veggies, doing so seems like a waste of perfectly good veggies. When I want veggies in my breakfast, I'll stir leftover cooked veggies into some scrambled eggs. Or I'll have homemade veggie soup for breakfast.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 203/199/130

Height: 5'4

I have one every morning with 1/2 pumpkin, 1 tablespoon chai seeds, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder and almond milk. I usually am not hungry till 9 or so and it's easy to bring with me to work and gets me through till lunch.
Dolly Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #11  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I do sometimes. My go-to is 1 cup frozen berries, a couple handfuls of spinach, a banana, 1 tablespoon flax seeds, a scoop of unsweetened unflavored protein powder, 1/2 a lime, and about 2 cups of ice water in the blender.

A new one I've just tried is 1/2 cup pumpkin, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg/cloves to taste, a handful of ice cubes, plus the flax and protein. Very tasty!

I don't do it every day because I crave variety, but I do enjoy it a lot.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #12  

Seaurchin has me trying it right now. My favorite so far is 1 apple, little ice cause there wasnt anything frozen, 1/4 2 x the protein greek yogurt, 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 packet raw monk fruit sweetener, 1/2 cup spinach or as much as I can pack in, about 1/2 c milk. I love this one. I tried the pumpkin one above, but as I figured, I cant get past drinking "pumpkin pie". lol

Last edited by tammyinwv; 11-10-2013 at 07:05 PM.
tammyinwv is offline   Reply With Quote