Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #1  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default Has anyone gone organic?

I've been highly thinking of going organic for most veggies, and buying grass fed meat. I find that these products are more expensive and harder to find, but you do pay for quality.

Just curious if anyone has gone this route and if they find it expensive, and if they feel better because of having gone organic? After reading so much about all the toxins/pesticides/antibiotics in everything we consume, I'm highly thinking of going 'organic'.

Thanks
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2  

Organic is mostly what we consume at home.
We have a home vegetable garden and I shop at Farmer's Markets and get to know my farmers where the meat, eggs, and produce are grown.
We avoid GMOs in our food or in the feed our food is fed.

It is impossible to be 100% organic or we would never go out to dinner & IP products aren't organic (there are some "claims" but it surely isn't on the box!). Organic meats have more naturally occurring Omega-3s.

We just do the best we can. I've been canning tomatoes so I don't need to buy canned through the winter/next spring (for my eventual phase off).
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #3  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 299/260/150

Height: 5'2"

I would say we are pretty much like Lisa. We try hard to only do organic, especially with meat. Look into buying a share of a cow, it can be much cheaper in the long run. I do feel better on og and I do think that how your food is produced makes a difference. But I try not to freak out about it too.
Zictory75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #4  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I try to buy organic whenever possible. I have a strong feeling that all the processed foods, chemicals, etc...are what contributed to my migraines, which stopped when I started IP, with only a couple of exceptions...and those were more like just bad headaches. At first I thought it was gluten, as many people had suggested to me, but I have had wheat in many of my IP products with no bad effects. I think organic is my life now, as much as I possibly can.

Oh, almost forgot...I do find it is a bit more expensive for produce and much more expensive for packaged items I have looked at for maintenance.

Last edited by dak1lls; 10-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I try to be mostly organic. A good friend started an organic produce delivery service so I have that for my produce every 2 weeks. In between, if I run out, depending on the time of year, I shop farmers' markets. If I can 't do that, then I'm more likely to pick up the organic items at the local grocery.

Grass fed meat is a little more difficult, not as readily available as I'd like it to be around here. I am actually getting some free range/organic fed chickens tonight from a farm - they are soooo yummy!

But, also do eat out occasionally so that is a consideration.

I think there are so many different things that we aren't aware of in processed food so between being more aware of what we're eating, trying to be as organic as possible is good for us.

Jo
PurpleMomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #6  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

I am pretty much in the same vein as the rest of the responders in this thread. I buy organic when I can find it, and I get farmer's market items when I can. As far as my pantry goes, where I can't get organic, I go for clean items and am trying to stick to whole foods where I can. I am only in P3 so haven't been able to try much yet, but maintenance will be a whole new clean eating life.
CrystalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #7  
Back at It!

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to see that you all are mostly organic and see the benefits. At my gym the owner is very against chemicals in anything going into our mouths. I've recently switched to natural deodorant (without aluminum), and non-fluoride toothpaste. I have bought a few things organic, but will be definitely going more organic very soon for good reason.

I've also been doing a lot of reading and came across this article of fruits and veggies with the most pesticides. Thought I'd share with all of you.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9160/...rty-dozen.html
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #8  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo381972 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It is good to see that you all are mostly organic and see the benefits. At my gym the owner is very against chemicals in anything going into our mouths. I've recently switched to natural deodorant (without aluminum), and non-fluoride toothpaste. I have bought a few things organic, but will be definitely going more organic very soon for good reason.

I've also been doing a lot of reading and came across this article of fruits and veggies with the most pesticides. Thought I'd share with all of you.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9160/...rty-dozen.html
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and cringed!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #9  

Yup. That list is what I for sure buy organic!

I had to chuckle at the farmers market a couple weeks ago. A woman came to the ONE organic stand, sorted they some peaches, tossed them aside, said they were ugly, and walked away.

If I wanted perfect-looking food, I'd go to the grocery store. I want mine pesticide-free! Some blemishes come with the territory! I bought a bunch and canned them for when Im no longer on P1

I just canned some applesauce tonite. P1 won't last forever
DH was my taste-tester.

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-09-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

I had to chuckle at the farmers market a couple weeks ago. A woman came to the ONE organic stand, sorted they some peaches, tossed them aside, said they were ugly, and walked away.

If I wanted perfect-looking food, I'd go to the grocery store. I want mine pesticide-free! Some blemishes come with the territory! I bought a bunch and canned them for whenimoutnrunningmerrands no longer on P1

DH was my taste-tester.
My friend who runs the organic produce delivery has notes all over her website and the newsletter that comes with the produce explaining why it doesn't "look" like the stuff in the store. I'm a lot happier with my produce not looking so "bright" when I think of what producers do to make it look like that.

Jo
PurpleMomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #11  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

i only eat organic frozen broccoli for my vegetable. it's to die for
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #12  

You are not alone in this. I feel you too. Unfortunately there are many temptations around so it's difficult to adjust.
bishopnimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #13  
Back at It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

If I wanted perfect-looking food, I'd go to the grocery store. I want mine pesticide-free! Some blemishes come with the territory! I bought a bunch and canned them for when Im no longer on P1

DH was my taste-tester.
That applesauce sounds amazing. Do you have a recipe?
I know what you mean..it is the extra GMO chemicals that keep your fruit big and colorful. Reminds me of the song, 'Big Yellow Taxi' by Joni Mitchell.

Avalon: That organic frozen broccoli sounds delicious. I'll have to look out for it. What name brand do you use?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #14  

I just looked for one using google.
I didn't save it