General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1  
just do it :)

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'6

Default First job interview [urgent!]

So tomorrow I have my very first job interview!! I've worked before but it was for family and/or volunteering so it was a lot different. I've always been really self conscious and that held me back from a lot of stuff, but having lost upwards of 60lbs since last year, I decided to just give it a go and submit applications hoping to get hired in the seasonal workers rush. I took another chance on a place that I've applied to many times, always with no response, and they called me today to set up an interview.

ITS TOMORROW!

I'm freaking out but I'm also really excited! I want to work there very badly as it's within walking distance of my house and I could really use the extra cash. But I've never had a job interview before so I don't even know what to expect. Any tips or advice to help me out here? Much appreciated!!
lanabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Make eye contact, don't fidget, study up on the job and the company in advance, ask questions but not ones that you should have been able to get answers to with basic research. Do not answer your cell phone in the interview or even look at it. Better still to leave it off entirely, but barring that at least have it on silent. Monster's website has interview questions you might expect. A common question: Why are you interested in this job? Try to have a good answer, not just "I need a job." Say something that shows you're genuinely interested in working for that company specifically. Another question might be "List one of your weaknesses." Try to pick something that can also be turned into a strength. For example, if you're a perfectionist you could say "Well, I'm a perfectionist which sometimes makes me take a little longer on my projects- but on the flip side my attention to detail is great." But make sure all your answers are based on truth. So for example if you're not a perfectionist, don't claim to be one. Pick another answer. Job websites have a lot of advice on acing interviews. Also if you have a friend who has interview experience you could ask them to do a mock interview with you.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 10-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #3  
Growing My Wings

S/C/G: 350/334/150

Height: 5'3"

I agree with EagleRiverDee. I think its ok also to let them know you are a tad nervous about the interview. Anticipate some questions that may seem odd and be ready to think out the box! Always highlight a positive even its a negative question.

Call on your volunteering people really get into that kind of stuff if you are willing to volunteer it shows that you are definitely going to do an outstanding job if you are in fact getting paid for it!

Also as Eagle stated do lots of research on the company hiring managers tend to smile highly on someone whom has done their homework and knows abit about what they are getting into.

Most importantly Relax and Have Fun .. You'll do Awesome!!!!
IvoryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Some of these may seem to be common sense, but sometimes people forget.

You will want to wear either a suit, long skirt, or slacks with a nice blouse. DO NOT WEAR JEANS. Make sure hair is tidy, don't put on too much makeup, and be sure to brush your teeth well. Make sure your phone is completely off.

When you meet your interviewer, be sure to firmly shake their hand, make eye contact, and smile. If you have a typed resume, give it to them now. They are going to ask you some tricky questions. Common questions include:

Why do you want to work here?
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?

Be sure to have answers in your head. Google common interview questions and responses for ideas.

Before you leave, be sure to shake their hand again and thank them for their time.

You'll do fine. Don't worry.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #5  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Be confident! I'm not saying to be cocky, but you have to go in there knowing you have the confidence to do the job well! That is, after all, what you're trying to convince them of .

Good luck!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Good luck

I have my first job interview on Friday and I'm really nervous as well. Let us know how it goes
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

It's a good idea to do some online research on what are some common interview questions. If this is your first job interview you may have little experience working, so think of some strengths that you've acquired by other means like volunteering, organizing at school etc. Something like "thought I've never worked in a store like this I was the project manager of my sorority's fund drives for two years and had the opportunity to manage and all the community events, which involved tasks such as hiring caterers, contacting all the alumni, writing a blog in our news letter and being on the welcoming committee."

And don't wear a lot of perfume, hopefully none!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Be confident about your skills I just had a really important interview this past Thursday, and I really wanted to demonstrate that I could do the job they were looking to hire for. When I walked in the room, I shook both the interviewers hands and they asked me how I was. To lighten the mood a bit, I was like "aside from the jitters I'm doing just great" and flashed them a winning smile. We all chuckled, sat down and got on with the interview. At the end, the one interviewer told me that the first thing she wrote down on her paper was "great smile", so I felt it was a great way to break the ice.

Some interviews will ask questions, while others are more behavioral (tell me a time when you had to do this...), and you'll want to have some regular answers as well as maybe a short story or two that describe some of your experiences. Look up regular interviews as well as behavioral, and you'll see there is a difference between the two.

If it's a retail job, do you go there often? In one of my previous jobs, I was a customer at this particular store for almost a year, going over there multiple times a week (it was right across the street from the school I was going to), so the people who worked there saw me regularly. When it came time to hire someone new, I instantly put my application in, and made a habit to keep going to the store regularly, chatting with the other employees, etc. I wanted to make it look like I would be comfortable and fit in with the other people who worked there, and t hat it wouldn't be a problem for me to be at that store often.

I'm sure you've got this!!!! Please let us know how you do!!!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #9  

After two interviews and a lot of waiting, they hired me before I left!!!! Thank you all so much for your advice, it made such a huge difference in my confidence because I felt pretty prepared. Most of the questions are behavioral and I looked a bunch up yesterday and thought of some possible answers. The first interviewer seemed more nervous than I was haha he kept dropping his pen and stuff and apologizing every three seconds, so I felt like the put together one which really made me calm down weirdly enough! I just went with the fake it till you make it strategy and I guess it worked because they told me I was great for the job. So excited, thanks again!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #10  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Congrats!!!!!!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #11  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

That's awesome! Congratulations!!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

That's excellent. Your news made my day! Congratulations.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #13  

Thank you so much! I seriously thought I was going to bomb it but I practiced a lot last night thanks to your advice, and Dee, I never would have thought twice about it but I caught myself bouncing my leg and remembered not to fidget and now that I think about it that alone probably helped me 'fake' being calm and confident a lot better. I still can't believe it, I thought they'd give me the old "We'll call you!" and I'd be sitting here for a week going crazy. Feeling super blessed
Old 10-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Congratulations
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #15  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Congrats on getting the job!
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote