Old 10-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #1  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Default Red Team Fall into Fitness 2013 CHAT Thread Week 1 (10/6/13 - 10/14/13)

Hello Red Team-
Welcome to the Fall into Fitness Biggest Loser Challenge!

I'm so excited to be leading a Biggest Loser Challenge for the first time! Special thanks to Mel, for being such a great leader and supporting me in this endeavor!

My name is Darcey, and I've been on the 3FatChicks site for just a few months, and it has changed my life. Not only have I lost 50+ pounds since I started in March (give or take a few here & there - I'm up quite a bit right now due to birthday celebrations all last week), I've established friendships that I know will last a lifetime. This month my goal is to get back on plan 100%, get down to my low of 203.8 (less than a month ago ) and incorporate mild exercise daily (physical therapy or walking).

Share as little or as much as you like. Please respect this chat board & challenge. "Losing weight is very personal, but if you open your ears there is much to learn from one another as we embark on our own personal journeys." ~Mel, who is now maintaining, but will pop in to check in on us occasionally.

Here's to a great Challenge!

Go Team Red!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Just wanted to share some advice to team members: don't wait until the last minute to post your weight! We lost so many team members the last time I did this challenge because they didn't weigh-in. Do your weekly weigh-in and post it on Friday or Saturday, or at least set yourself some sort of reminder to post on Sunday.

Good luck everyone! Go Team Red!
Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

SuperHeroTeacher - Thank you for taking on the role of red team leader and congrats on the 50+ pounds lost.

Novus - That is awesome advice. I know that's why I didn't finish the last challenge, I became busy and forgot to weigh in. The last one that kicked me out I missed by an hour or so. I will be setting a reminder this time around since I really want to finish.

I am really excited for this challenge to start since right now I need the support of other people trying to lose weight. I have joined some other challenges but I have found that everyone is just posting about themselves and no one is taking the time to do personals/acknowledge problems/help with solutions. I know this thread is really good for that so I am looking forward to this challenge. I have been losing weight pretty steadily, however, this past week I have been bouncing between 170.8 and 171.8 I am ready for the 160s!!!! I want to see 160s for my first official weigh in here.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #4  
MF 3/31/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Just wanted to share some advice to team members: don't wait until the last minute to post your weight! We lost so many team members the last time I did this challenge because they didn't weigh-in. Do your weekly weigh-in and post it on Friday or Saturday, or at least set yourself some sort of reminder to post on Sunday.
Excellent tip Novus!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY TO POST YOUR WEIGHT. It was never a problem for me personally because I have my official weigh ins with a nutritionist on Saturday morning, so just come home and post immediately. Last challenge the red team finished with just 4 members still participating... I think we started with 24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated View Post
I am really excited for this challenge to start since right now I need the support of other people trying to lose weight. I have joined some other challenges but I have found that everyone is just posting about themselves and no one is taking the time to do personals/acknowledge problems/help with solutions. I know this thread is really good for that so I am looking forward to this challenge. I have been losing weight pretty steadily, however, this past week I have been bouncing between 170.8 and 171.8 I am ready for the 160s!!!! I want to see 160s for my first official weigh in here.
Thanks Rated -I will do my best to do personals here, but I have to admit, I'm guilty of just talking about myself sometimes. I'm hoping this will be a place that we can all come to support one another. My fingers are crossed for a 160s weigh in for you soon!

Everyone - I'd like to post a new topic, theme or question in our weekly chats to keep people engaged in conversation. If you have any recommendations for topics please let me know!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone!

Thanks for hosting SuperHeroTeacher!

Great tip Novus! I have learned in other smaller challenges here that I usually keep my regular weigh in day (though I weigh daily, only one is "official") and post that day.

Rated, I see the 160s in your very near future!

Now for me... I'm Sommer, but Fawn or Finding work just fine. I'm a stay at home wife and mom. Hubby and I will celebrate our10th anniversary on Thursday, we have a 14yo son who goes to a technical high school learning electronics, an 8yo daughter, a 7yo son and a 4yo son who are all homeschooled. We live on top of a beautiful mountain just outside a small town in northeast (but kind of more central) PA, we live a pretty simple quiet life and wouldn't have it any other way.

I look forward to getting to know you all better.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Casie. I live in NW Florida near Panama City Beach, on the coast of the Redneck Riviera, aka Gulf Coast, and the World's Most Beautiful Beaches. My husband and I will be celebrating our 3rd year anniversary on November 1st, but we've been together for a very long time so it's more like our 15th. We have no children, yet, but I consider my 2 cats and 2 dogs my babies!

Thanks SuperHeroTeacher for hosting! I'm new to this and look forward to having something keep me accountable!

Sunday is/was my normal weigh in day, but if it will be easier for y'all, I can switch it to Saturday. That won't be a problem!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/226/140

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone,
I can't remember how many challenges I have participated in, but I missed the last one, so I am excited for this one. I am 43 and have been married for 19 years and have 3 children - a 14 year old son, 12 year old daughter, and a 10 year old son. I work the night shift so my sleep is very erratic which can make exercising tough, but I am determined to stick with it. I like to workout at home mainly using Cathe Friedrich's dvds and I also use my StairMaster too.

Darcey - Thanks for being our team leader Congratulations on losing 50+ pounds, that is awesome!

Novus - Great advice!

Rated - I agree that the support here is wonderful. I bet you see the 160's this week - you are so close!

Sommer - You must be so busy with 4 children! I would love to live on top of a mountain, it must be so beautiful.

Casie - I consider my cat to be my baby too

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Last edited by Narnia99; 10-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #8  

Hi everyone... I have been around in the form for a month now and I am first timer when it comes to this challenge... Found this one while I was browsing the forum and immediately jumped in

Moving to my story.. I have always been a chubby kid, grew up to be not so fat due to some Indian traditional dancing that I used to do.. But once I joined college I put an end to almost all the physical activity.. gained several pounds.. When I started to work..it was desk job and kept gaining.. I was a whopping 195 lbs 2 years ago and managed to reduce to 172 lbs in a year. But I had to move to US and since then have been gaining weight constantly.. When I saw my scales at 196 lbs a month back I decided that I really have to get the weight loss mode on...

Now I am 27 and weigh 189 lbs as of when I signed up for the challenge.. My goal is to move in to the normal BMI range which would be close to 153 lbs or less.. SO I ahve to lose close to approximately 36 lbs or more... Personally I am aiming to reach the 140s...

Looking for lot of motivation and support from the team to keep going and hope we all rock as a team

Looking forward for this one!!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #9  

Good afternoon everyone.

Novus, you are spot on with your advice. I got caught last year when I forgot to log my weight. I had completed several previous BL Challenges and guess I got lazy, took a couple of weeks off for vacation so I only had one freebie left and FORGOT. I still can’t believe I dropped out of the Challenges because I FORGOT. You can bet that won’t happen this time. LOL

Nlaugh, I could have written your post accept I am way past 27. I was at your point when I was 27 and when I started having children is when my weight really went totally out of control. YoYoed for 30 years between 289 and 220 and have finally figured out what it means to make a life style change. That is such a critical step for anyone who wants to take it off and keep it off. You have to have that moment when you start eating like your life depended on the choices that you are making, because it does. It has taken me a couple of years but I’m down over 90 pounds and still losing, not fast but still losing. The beauty of the Challenge is you don’t feel like you are making much progress but when you get to the end and look back at where you were when you started and the results are always really motivating. Those ½ lb – 1 lb losses each week really add up by the end of the challenge.

Hi, Narnia99, FickleHearts, findingfawn, SuperHeroTeacher.

As for me and my life, I’m in my 60s, married for the past 13 years to a trucker, moved to TX 4 years ago (time goes by so fast) after spending 20 years in AZ, 10 years in NM and being born and raised in NY State.

I have two daughters and 4 grandchildren plus numerous step-children (4 + 2 from two marriages) and a dozen step-grandkids and even a couple of step great-grandkids. I have 3 fur babies (2 pugs and a lab/pit cross that someone kindly dropped in our neighborhood, poor guy) Peanut and Ebony are spoiled rotten and I blame them insisting on sitting on my lap for my lack of exercise. Levi decided we must be a nice house to cling to when he was scared and alone because the little pack we had going on in the backyard sounded friendly. What a sweet guy he has turned out to be and we are all very lucky that he showed up afraid and a lone. I was thinking about getting a bigger walking partner NEVER would have chosen anything with Pit in it and have learned so much about them in the past year that I would never be so quick to judge again. He really is a fun dog.

Well lunch is over and I need to close.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

I am melodie and have been on here actively for a couple months but joined in 2012 and lurked occasionally. I am also a Nurse in cardiac intensive and have been overweight to some extent my whole life. I have been as low as 170 and high as 280. Last year I started having high blood pressure problems and knew eventually I would not be able to do my job and perhaps would be in a bed in my unit unless I shaped up literally. I was a walking time bomb with a bp of 184/110. There comes a time when you hit bottom and this was it for me. May 28th I walked into a new gym near my work "Planet fitness" and joined. This literally has changed my life. I met a trainer josh who explained why I should be clean eating and got me on a strength and cardio plan and a nutritional sources to get me started. Since I have lost over 50lbs and over 35 inches on my body. I still have a ways to go but walking over 5 miles a day now and working out about 3 times a week on weights. Bp still working on it but recent dr check 130/90 with no meds just exercise and weight reduction. I still have around 70 left to go but I will get there.
This is my first with the biggest loser thread challenge and glad to be a red team member.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #11  

Thanks EofAZ... Thanks for sharing that!! I am pretty alone where I live as I moved from my country due to work reasons. I am still single so that gives me a lot of time to focus my attention on weight loss.. on the downside I often get depressed because of the loneliness sometimes driving me to binge-eat just because I do not have anything else to do..

But I am sure being here is going to help and will be giving me some accountability
Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #12  
MF 3/31/13

Welcome to our new and returning members! I hope everyone had a terrific official first day of this Fall into Fitness challenge. I'm battling horrendous sweets cravings, but trying to get into a state of mild ketosis, so I'm sticking to my guns - NO CARBS!!!

Happy Anniversary findingfawn! Your "simple quiet life" sounds divine!

FickleHearts - you can post your weigh-in whatever day of the week works best for you. Just be mindful that if you miss the Sunday 6pm (central time) deadline to post you'll be forced to use a freebie. You're only allowed 2 freebies throughout the challenge.

Hi Narnia99-Welcome back to the challenge! I'm glad you're back - best of luck this round!

UGH! I hear you nlauah in my career before teaching my desk job contributed to a 10-15 pound gain per year! So happy to be on my feet teaching now. If only my knees were as happy to be standing all day - lol! Welcome to 3FC and your first Biggest Loser challenge! I too battle binge eating. Sadly I wasn't even able to admit it to myself until a couple weeks ago. I would just conveniently "forget" to food journal on binge days.

Great to see you back EofAZ! I was heartbroken when you were eliminated from the last challenge! You're doing great! 90 pounds lost is impressive! I too have fur babies (in addition to the teenager human babies). My dachshunds are 13-year old spoiled brats, but I love them to pieces!

Congrats on joining a gym cleancowgirl! I wish I could find the ambition to get back to the gym... I will get there eventually! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #13  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Fickle~ my cat is my baby too, funny we have 2 dogs, one of which is technically mine but I really prefer the cat.

Narnia~ you aren't far behind me with your 3 kiddos. The mountain is great but your avi says it all...lol it can get windy up here and from now till May, if it's raining down in town it's most likely snowing up here. I also prefer to work out at home. I use lots of Leslie Sansone videos.

Nlauah~ Sounds like you have a love of dancing in you. I can totally picture you dancing your way down the scale

EofAZ~ "My" dog is a lab/pit mix. She is a wonderful dog.. the combo of the lab traits and the pit traits are amazing! We have her mom, she is pure pit and a good dog too.. so sad how they get a bad rap. We have been told many times we are crazy for owning her... or that she will eat my kids faces off. Yeah don't see that one happening.

Cowgirl sounds like you found a great gym. We have one tiny gym here in town, it's in a run down house.. yep I'm not kidding..lol Hubby went to check it out a few years back and said the treadmill (yes only 1) looked like the dinosaurs might have used it once. We then began building our own home gym. We add to it as we can, but I really prefer to just do vidoes in the living room... I'm a loner at heart..lol

SuperHero~ stay strong!

As for me, I didn't eat great yesterday, didn't blow it calorie wise, but not the best choices. Hubby is working a weird shift right now so he is home for lunch and dinner... he thinks we need a "real meal" for lunch when I'm used to just making the kids some sandwhiches and myself a turkey wrap. We ended up with hot sausage and tater tots yesterday for lunch. Hope this funky shift only lasts this week. I love him being home more but he throws a quick wrench in everything...lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #14  

Unhappy

I am not sure where I should be asking this but I thought it would be gud to put this here.... Below is the change in my scales from Oct 3rd:

3. -1.6
4. no change
5. -1.5
6. -0.7
7. +1
8. +0.8

I have stayed on plan all the days.. I am not sure of the fluctuation.. I felt so bad that despite trying so much I have moved in the wrong direction.. Also my TOM is not until around the 18th..

Can someone please help me understand this... I havent updated my tracker because I am not sure if it is temporary or permanent..... (On second thought I did change it though )

I feel so demotivated when this happens.. that too 2 days in a row Also I am finding it difficult to move to the lower 180s I have been hovering around the higher 180s for a while now

Am I missing something??? I am confused

Last edited by nlauah; 10-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #15  

Hey Darcy.... I feel so happy that someone understands what I am going through... Hope you will get over the sweet craving.. Fruits help me deal with them better...

Hey Sommer - I love dancing and have stopped it for a longtime now because I am not in the right shape.... One of the main reasons I want to get back in shape is to dance again ... Also hope you have make healthier choices today! Sending my wishes for that