Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #1  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

Default Discouraged to exercise because of excessive sweating

I feel like 2 minutes into doing any kind of activity I'm sweating like crazy. I just joined a gym and they don't have any fans. I look around and everyone seems fine and here I am looking like I just got out of the shower after being on a treadmill for 10 minutes. Even at home it's frustrating because I could easily fit in 10 minutes here and there to add up to more exercise but after each time I would be so sweaty and feel gross that I would feel I need a shower each time. There's probably nothing wrong with 5 showers a day but my hair takes forever to dry and that adds to my time which I don't have endless amount of.

Anyone else experience this? Do you just deal with it or do you have any tricks?
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I deal with it, knowing that 40 minutes of sweating will net me a relaxing shower and a more toned body.

But...baby powder up prior to a workout and carry a towel to wick moisture away. It helps. It doesn't solve the problem, but it does help.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

One of the reasons I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE water exercise is because I can't feel myself sweating (unless I get out of the water before cool down). If my face gets too hot, a quick dunk and I feel all better.

I can't really endure intense land exercise, because shortly after I begin to sweat, I overheat. M face, hands, neck, and chest turn fuchsia, I get lightheaded, nauseous and short of breath. My head and heart literally feels like they're going to explode.

In water, I can work out really, really hard without feeling like it's going to kill me. Not only do I love that, I also love that in the water I can feel strong and proud, because I can better "keep up" with much thinner and healthier swimmers. I even can "compete" (in my head) to some degree. I'm often, but not always slower than fit-looking swimmers, but I do tend to stay in the pool longer and complete more laps. So in my head, "I win."

When I do floor exercises like the treadmill or cycles, I have to pace myself so as not to let myself to get too hot and sweaty, and all the time I'm thinking about how great it will feel to get in the pool.

I use a shower and then the pool as my reward for the treadmill and the hot tub as my reward for the pool (though the hot tub is entirely optional. The pool is it's own reward for me).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes. Always have. At 281lbs. And still at 170lbs. I use sweatbands on the head and the wrists. I also try to wear vests rather than T-shirts. And definitely wear shorts. Keep the weight down. And I always go for the treadmill near the AC vent. I would not worry about it. I certainly don't and my treadmill at the gym looks like it's been through a carwash after I do my usual 6 miles on it.

I shower a lot. So much that I no longer shampoo my hair because it was getting too fluffy with all the washing.

You could also try to run outside. I do that at the weekends and it is noticeably cooler than the treadmill.

Oh, and having people run on treadmills next to you makes you hotter. Go for one at the end or without anyone on either side (at least when you start, as people may join later).

There is no way anyone here sweats more than me.

I wring my clothing out at the end of runs and it's like squeezing a wet sponge.

Last edited by IanG; 10-04-2013 at 10:24 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #5  
Haley wants to run!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

zoesmom- I will get some baby powder thanks.

kaplods- There's no pool at the gym I go to but I know what you mean. I can do all kinds of flips and what have you in the water but not on land lol

IanG- I can't run at this point because of a knee injury. I always try to get an end machine just for anxiety reasons. I'm glad to know I'm not the only compulsive sweater.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

You keep those knees sweet Haley. I found weightloss and good running shoes (I used, and still use, ones for heavier runners) helped a lot. I walked (about 2 miles a day) until I was about 220lbs (i.e. 60lbs down) because of my knees. Then I tried my first run. It was 0.5 mile on a treadmill. And it almost killed me! But it was awesome. I then had a knee problem come back when I was running about 2 miles. And I definitely rested to get over that. And then it got better and I never looked back.

Last edited by IanG; 10-04-2013 at 11:10 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #7  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

When I first started working out I sweat like crazy, I don't as much anymore. I miss it actually lol. I feel like I am accomplishing more when I sweat!

My husband sweats all the time, he takes a towel and wears moisture wicking clothes. That seems to help.

Good luck finding what works! Don't let it stop you!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8  
Haley wants to run!

Thanks for the input everyone! I've discovered this area in my gym called the "Theater".They have some cardio equipment and it's dark and they play movies. The girl at the front desk said it's usually empty so I think that will be my home. Even if someone is in there they won't see me sweat because it's dark. I'll bring a towel and a mini fan that I can slip in my bag and take out here and there so I don't completely overheat lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

OH! Forgot...clothes that wick moisture away are a god send too. Good luck with the exercise!
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

I sweat a lot too...to the point where multiple people at my gym have come up to me after a class to actually COMMENT on my sweatiness. To me, it's just an indication of how hard I'm working, and I love it. I actually take photos of my sweaty t-shirts and email them to my husband at work, to show him how hard I'm working! I say, embrace it!
Frances123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

I sweat so much that when I'm walking or running in the heat even my knees sweat, it's the weirdest thing to me! I've always just been told that some people sweat way more than others and I just accepted that I'm one of those people!
As far as what you said about your gym, mine also has a cardio theater and it's my FAVORITE place in the whole gym!! There's nothing like working out as hard as you can and feeling free because it's dark and you're really not worried about what others think because it's unlikely that they can even see you!! I Hope you enjoy that room as much as I do!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote