WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #1  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Default too many points???

Hi all,

I've started on weight watchers again (online), and I've been given a point target of 44/day... which is a lot of food! I know I can use points to eat "less healthy" things, but I'm trying to eat more whole foods and less processed stuff, so I don't want to eat unnecessary junk to meet my points for the day.

Anyone else go through this? Any suggestions? I just feel incredibly full already and I have like 12 points left!

Thank you all in advance!
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #2  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Are you getting all of your health guidelines in?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #3  
trying to impress myself

Yes! I've planned out my meals for the week and I've hit all my health guidelines, but I keep coming up short and not meeting my daily target. I can eat, don't get my wrong, but looking at my meal plan for the week, it's pretty well rounded...can't imagine adding more
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Yes. I went through it. It actually helped me get used to the idea and the changes.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #5  
trying to impress myself

thanks for the replies...I feel kind of silly being like "I can't use all my points"!
Lioness, how did you wind up using the extras?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

Lol peanut butter, string cheese, pretzels with hummus. And dessert. I have to have dessert everyday. I don't miss sweets during the day at all but no dessert after dinner avd I get crazy! So, done peanut butter with an apple, graham cracker and dark chocolate peanut butter, sugar free jello and cool whip free, or even an ice cream sandwich. No more than 6 points for any of the above - I am good to go.

What I love about weight watchers is there are no off limits. Just better choices. If I want a mini cupcake for dessert or a bacon cheeseburger for lunch, it's fine. But I have to go extra on the treadmill, or make another choice.

It may not be the "right" way but it works for me. I am not missing anything, I don't feel deprived or guilty and there is no "wagon". 60+ lbs, 5 pants sizes, and the muscle I am building cannot be all wrong.

You will find what works for you. But I had a hard time eating all of my points at first. Didn't need to "earn" any activity points and was convinced I was doing it wrong. Now, at 35 points, I have to work out. Or I don't get my creamer in my coffee or my mini cupcake lol!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #7  
trying to impress myself

I think the scary part for me is just that it looks like soooo much food...i will take the peanut butter suggestion. i could just use the regular version and have points add up that way without adding too much
thank you for your suggestions and support!
and kudos to creamer!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #8  
OMW to a brand new me!

Yes it does look like a lot. And it actually is, if you are eating quality healthy food. Do an experiment, add up the points of an old typical day. What you would eat without thinking about it. I don't know about you, but for me it was never about how much I ate, I wasn't necessarily an over eater, but what I ate. High points foods.

Personally I love to eat. I am Italian and German. Raised to eat. Lol. Food is love. The kitchen is the center of all home avd family life. I love that part of me. WW has made me learn how to do that, avd still be healthy.

Don't use the reduced fat peanut butter. The points are no different than the regular, and it's not as good! 2 Tbs. Is 5 points. An easy way to add points avd get some relatively healthy fats and protein. I am a peanut butter junkie, lol, but I have found that 2 Tbs. Is a lot!

We are all here for support I can't wait to hear about your weigh ins!

Don't worry! You got this
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #9  
trying to impress myself

thank you so much! it looks like you're well on your way- definitely inspiring for me

I was also raised in an Italian household, so I'm totally with you on that. And for me, portions have always been an issue. I found that my diet wasn't as balanced. I wasn't eating fast food everyday, but I found that most of my meals were just carb heavy. I would come home from work and just make pasta and basically eat almost the whole box. Or I would make myself tacos and eat like 6 of them. Also, I wasn't eating throughout the day. I would go hours without eating, and then would overeat when i finally got a chance to. Whenever I've lost weight in the past, I've always been successful when I've eaten snacks throughout the day.
Long story short, with me it was often a matter of how much, and sometimes what I ate. I think using things like regular peanut butter or low fat vs fat free (I prefer low fat anyway), and maybe using a bit of olive oil rather than cooking spray will help add points without actually eating more. Honestly, I'd go broke buying groceries
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #10  
OMW to a brand new me!

Thanks! Glad to be inspiring to someone, since I never seem to be inspired myself lol!

I never ate at the right times either, now I feel like that's all I do!

This is what my day looks like

6:30- coffee, vitamins, banana, 20 oz water
8-8:30 am, fiber one granola bar 20 oz water
10- Special K breakfast sandwich 20 oz water
12:00- apple and peanut butter or pretzels and hummus or string cheese water
1:30- lunch (usually something frozen like WW SmartOnes)water
2:30- SF jello parfait or an apple if I have not had one earlier water
5-6 gym
630 dinner (usually 10ish points)
730-dessert

Total water: 100oz
Total work out 1hour

The whole day, 35-40 points. I get 35 a day, but I earn at least 10 activity points a day, I have started eating half of my activities. Trying an experiment
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #11  
trying to impress myself

let me know how it works! good luck!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #12  
Returning Lfe-timer

S/C/G: 176/160/145

Height: 5ft 1in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillupthesky View Post
Hi all,

I've started on weight watchers again (online), and I've been given a point target of 44/day... which is a lot of food! I know I can use points to eat "less healthy" things, but I'm trying to eat more whole foods and less processed stuff, so I don't want to eat unnecessary junk to meet my points for the day.

Anyone else go through this? Any suggestions? I just feel incredibly full already and I have like 12 points left!

Thank you all in advance!
Which plan are you on? When I started WW in 2002, it was Winning Points. I started at 176 lbs and a target of 33 pts. I returned in 2013 at 158 pts on the Points Plus program and a target of 26 pts
kit1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #13  
trying to impress myself

i'm on the current plan, 360? is that the official name?