Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Angry Question!

Hi everyone--
I've been browsing this site for awhile...my sweetie and I plan on starting atkins Monday.

Here is my question:
They give you foods you can eat during the induction period, and at the end of the book there are a bunch of recipes.... Are any of those recipes good for the induction period?? I read the book and I don't know if I'm missing something or what! With the food they say we can have, I know of many ways to make things, but a recipe would make it even that much easier. I would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks
Marti
Old 11-08-2003, 05:19 PM   #2  

I am not real sure about the recipes in the back of the book being for induction but I do know you can go on the Atkins website and under recipes you can search for each phase. I have made the cheese n chili chops for induction...they are tasty!!! planning on making the meatballs but havent yet.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/207/185

Hi there Marti,

Glad to hear you are trying the lc way of eating. Make sure stick to the induction list of acceptable foods for at least two weeks. That being said, while the book has been re-edited for the latest version, I believe the recipes have not! So there may be menus and recipes in their which say they are safe for induction but have ingredients which are not on the induction list - so don't get confused by this.

As recommended the Atkins website has some good recipes as do many other low card boards.

Try www.lowcarber.org - you will find recipes on the website - but also go to the Support Forum area for more food ideas. You can also try the boards at www.atkinsbythebook.com. for other menu ideas.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Froufy
Old 11-08-2003, 09:03 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Nursenickie & Froufie--

Thank you for your reply's! I'm very determined to make this work and stick. I will definately keep you posted on how it goes. Starts on Monday!!

How did you feel when you first started Atkins? That is the only thing that worries me. I can sacrifice any foods....that's the only way to make a difference isn't it.... it's just how I feel that scares me a little. Also, how much excercise did you do when you started? I've heard that you feel very tired or weak... is that true? If so,, how do you get the motivation to workout?

Ok... I'm asking more questions... sorry about that. I'll check out those websites and get more information. I've browsed around all kinds of places. I like the results I hear. But I've also heard about a lot of people not staying on it.... I wonder why?

I'll keep in touch.

Marti
Old 11-09-2003, 12:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I started my exercise plan months before I started the Atkins WOE and it was no problem to keep up my routine, even during those first yucky days. I had the carb headaches you hear about (and caffeine withdrawal). I took a couple of Aleve in the morning and again at night. After that I felt like I had a low-grade headache and not 100% but was able to do my workout and a "normal" day. It lasted about 3 days. I made sure to drink LOTS of water which helps flush out your system.

It's even possible that the exercise would help burn through your glucose store faster and expedite the switch to ketosis - thoughts anyone?
Old 11-09-2003, 02:45 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Marti don't be sorry for asking questions, if you don't, you won't learn. You can bet your bippie I asked about a bazillion questions over and over. Atkins is a new way of life so ask away.

The only thing I can remember feeling the first couple of weeks was tired, I was very tired, but DUH !!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't taking any vitamins, so please do yourself a favor and stock up!!! I learned my lesson lol.

I've been on atkins since July and today I feel really good, I make sure I drink ALOT of water and pop those vitamins and I'm okay.

Just a suggestion......stay away from any kind of low carb chocolates and bars for as long as you can....they only trigger cravings for the real stuff AND they can give you bad gas

Good Luck !!
Closed Thread