Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 05:23 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Angry 300+ and Ready to Try Again... #437

WELCOME !!!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
Long ago we started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

We chat on Wednesday and Sunday at 8:30 EST, 7:30 CST.

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share.
We have found them very helpful.
We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:28 AM   #2  
Dancing those pounds away

It is 4:30am and I am headed for bed but decided to start a new thread before went.
I want to welcome back the MIA's We missed you. Welcome home.
I want to welcome back the MIA's. We miss you. Come back home.

I will try to get back myself tomorrow. If not before 11:00am (SOONER FOOTBALL !!!) ... then after 2:00pm.
I am looking forward to finding lots of posts to read.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:01 AM   #3  

Good Earrrrrrrrrrrrly morning Girls,

One more day, then I am off Sunday and Monday!!! Whew! AM I READY!!!

Something fun to look forward to tonight. My mom is having a birthday dinner for 2 of my cousins (brother and sister), they haven't shared a birthday party since they were children...should be special night. Dinner....my mom is cooking!!! should I say more, but, I am planning ahead, and mapping out my portion sizes in my mind...so I will be prepared, and NO CAKE FOR THIS OLD GAL!!!!

Headed off to work in a few, but did want to say CONGRATS TO JOANNE!! TWOTERVILLE, YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :cp

All the rest of you chickies, have a great day
Old 11-08-2003, 09:12 AM   #4  
a work in progress...

Morning, chickies...

Not much to say...I'm recovering from a leftover Halloween candy blitz...I have thrown out the rest...should have done that last week...duh...live and learn.

Rededicating myself to fruits/veggies/protein/water/exercise.

I raked and bagged the leaves from the front lawn yesterday. (7 big bags) I'm sure they're blowing all over the neighborhood by now, judging by the sound of the wind this morning! I just hope they didn't blow back onto MY lawn! Today, I will attempt the back yard. (Much worse than the front) Ah, it's good exercise and fresh air anyway.

I'm off to a cottage cheese and cantelope breakfast.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 11-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #5  

Congrats, Joanne

Kat, isn't that the way with cars? Car repairs are one thing that can make me want to s c r e a m or go into a depressed state.

I awoke to more gun shots today. Deer season is officially open here. I have to say after all of these years deer season always worries me. Most of the hunters should be home in bed sleeping off the night before NOT walking around with a loaded gun.

Also, I am royally ticked off today. (this is kinda like the car thing) For years we have heard how bad coffee is for you, in my early 40's I decided to be "good" and quit. I have drank coffee since my Swedish Grandmother started giving it to me when I was 4. I rarely drank coffee during my 40's but when I needed something to drink that didn't have any calories in my early 50's I decided to start again. Plus, my life is nearly half over so I figured a little of "bad" drinking couldn't take it's toll until I was REALLY old. NOW , I heard yesterday, they say coffee is good because they have found it helps prevent colon cancer!!!!!!! Okay, so I lived without coffee for awhile but the point being "they" do this all the time. Tell us things are bad for us - even make doctors make us stop and then go "oops" we were wrong. Okay, I feel better now after venting.

Off to have my second cup of coffee, join me?
Old 11-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #6  
BELIEVE!

Good Morning.....there is no "rise and shine" involved in my day! I think I may crawl back into bed but I know I'll just throw off my entire weekend if I do. We played poker until nearly 3am this morning. It was so much fun. I only had one beer, but the late night is making me feel like I have a huge hangover. I can't even thing straight to type, so I'll just say Hello for now!
Catch up with ya'll later!
Barb
Old 11-08-2003, 10:59 AM   #7  
a work in progress...

Default Shall I pour?

One lump or two?

I love my coffee! Strong, hot and black! Yessiree...no milk or sugar for me! I don't know what I'd do if I had to give it up.

BTW, Lucky...don't you just hate "them?"

Those know-it alls!

PS...I think Barb could use a cup or two...

Last edited by katrinabgood; 11-08-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:03 AM   #8  
Syn
ONE BITE AT A TIME*Loser*

Hello Gals,

After reading LuckyLadybugs post; I'm wondering if the coffee thing applies to colas too???? I am assuming that the caffine is the principal ingredient in both that was in question as to being a health hazard! I have been trying to restrict my caffine consumption for months....I have a big addiction to diet colas And yes I am trying to improve my daily water intake.....Not my favorite thing to do either.

Me thing: I have been having a lot of trouble with my right ankle and leg, swollen and nasty looking foot...I thought it was from going to CURVES and really exercising with a vegence...I want to get fit so badly so I have been going extra times and staying on some machines longer than usual....so when my foot began hurting so badly I blamed it on exercise. When it got so bad I had to crawl to the bathroom, I knew something was definitely not right....I have gout! Now I think of old King Lear with a large old turkey drumstick in each hand and a greasy chin when I think of gout.... But my dr quickly infomed me that skinny people get gout too. It is so painful.....I gained a small amount this week but I am blaming it on fluid. My foot and ankle are terribly swollen and I can't wear shoe...it is better this morning and I can bear weight on that foot again! The pain killers they gave me have wiped me out...and then I feel hungover when I wake up.....So I hope that will be the last of those I have to take for now too. It is a cold yet sunny day and I feel so lazy wanting to go back to bed....but I believe I will.... Not much sense in sitting in my recliner with my foot up trying to watch tv and dozing off there..may as well be comfortable in my bed.

It gave me a start to think that Christmas is coming up faster than I thougt too.....time to start figuring out the gift list....
Do many of you do Christmas in a jar gifts to have handy in case someone drops by that you hadn't planned on? I try to have some home made jams or mixes made up in advance. Need ideas for a 2 year old girl and a 4 year old boy!

Love to all...
Old 11-08-2003, 11:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies!

Its one of those cold gray days. I had planned on going to work this morning for only the morning but got up and said, nope, not interested. I'll pay next week. The dog wanted me to stay home for a change.

I'm glad that busy week is over. We had stuff every night except for Monday.

Last night was our dinner for the couple from church who have been teaching us for the last year. I made lasagne, salad, and garlic bread. I haven't done that in a long time. I too, get very spastic about the house being spotless when someone is coming over. I am hyper-vigiliant about the dog smell as I've said. She didn't have any big allergy attack while here last night so it must have been okay. He was certainly pissed about being put in the garage though!

DH's son always, ALWAYS, shows up unexpected when the house is a diaster and never when it looks great. I know he doesn't care but it bothers me.

I didn't go to WI. I'm so because pre-TOM weight gain hit yesterday. I've been doing great with food for the last two weeks and I know I was down a few pounds. I've been making a conscious effort to not hop on the scale every day but I did earlier in the week and was down. Then I did yesterday and am up about 4 pounds. I'm not paying to be up and to feel really disappointed about it. I'm human. Even though I know its all hormone related, its still hard not to be disgusted (which is probably hormone driven too). So that sums out how I feel this morning.

I stopped by Fashion Bug on Thursday to see what they have. They have a lot of cute stuff in plus sizes. However, I'm struggling with the age thing. I tried on a pair of cords that turned out to be low-riser/low-slung like the old hip-huggers. They fit but it felt weird to wear them low. I really liked how they fit on my butt - for a change, no bagginess. Although, I'm thinking if that is what a 43, 240's pound woman should be wearing. I think DH is going to drive me back over and I'll try them again. I want some stuff to take to NYC.

Speaking of NYC. I finally found out our itinerery. We land around noon on Thanksgiving Day. We have all afternoon to shop Times Square (what is there to shop at?) then its dinner at BB Kings. At 9 pm that night we're taking the subway over to the Empire State Building. On Friday morning, the kids have to be up at 6 am, have breakfast at a local deli, then rehearse from 9 am - 1 pm. I get to do what I want during the 9 am - 1 pm rehearsals. Then we meet up to take a 4 hour bus tour which ends in Little Italy for shopping (again, for what?), dinner and music. I think we ride the subway back to the hotel to be in bed by midnight. I will die. Then Saturday is rehearsal again - for which I'm free - then in the afternoon, the kids get to do whatever they want as long as they are chaperoned (me) and then we're off to see Beauty and the Beast at 8 pm. Sunday is rehearsal and they sing at Carnegie Hall at 2 pm. After that is more running wild - perhaps its when we go to Statue of Liberty and then a dinner cruise. Monday is their free day and I have to go where they want and we head home in the evening. Looks like I get two mornings free. I don't know any of the other chaperones so I can meet up if anyone is free. However, shopping in NYC on Friday after Thanksgiving may be a bit intense. I'm really started to get excited.

Kat - That really sucks about the car. Never good timing. I myself am trying to ward off a jelly bean attack in my fit of disgust this morning.

Barb - Poker sounds fun! However, I would be ruined for the whole day.

Joanne - Twoterville!!

Lucky - My motto is - anything is moderation - and don't listen to all the scientist about what is going to kill us. Enjoy!

Pam & 2Cute - Howdy! Have great days!

Where is everyone else? We need some strong motivation this morning.

Be good!
Old 11-08-2003, 12:00 PM   #10  

Syn: Any "mix" receipes you want to share?????

I would love to know what and how you make them.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #11  
I'm on my way!

Just a quickie! As usual! Just wanted to pop in and say "HI" so you won't think I have fallen off the face of the earth!

We took Andrew for his Christmas pictures today at WalMart. THey came out so cute! I got the disc so if anyone wants to see them send me your email! Proud mama here!!

I have rededicated myself to healthy eating again. I have been good since starting over Thursday. Still have to get all the water in. It use to be easy but now it gets harder. I even buy the flavored water at walmart. I love the black cherry and the white grape tastes just like grape soda...I always loved grape as a kid! I want to be a healthy mom for my son. I don't want him growing up with a mom out of breath trying to do stuff with him. I want to be able to get down on the floor and play and be sure to get up again. I want my knee to stop aching! I want a new body!

Anyways...Lucky I think I have a cookbook with those mix recipes for all different stuff. I will try and dig it out today and let you know.

Kat I had to rededicate myself last week so I wouldn't eat the halloween candy! However.....I did have a piece of the inside out reeses peanut butter cup that was in Andrew's bag. It was 3/4 of an ounce and I counted the points as 1 oz and went on my merry way. I wasn't deprived, I didn't need any more because I knew if I really really wanted it I could have it. Its the don't tell me I can't have it thing that makes me want it more!

Ok you all...I have to go fix a lean cuisine for me and get John and the boy some lunch. I'll try to get back here later. I have to work on one homework assignment, clean out my car and then do a little bit of housework today. John now has weekends off so we try and do the housework during the week and laundry but there is always something to be done every day. Can you spell
D I S H E S!

So much for a quicke huh? Anyway....I seem to be saying that alot today...Where the heck is my girl TINA???

Last edited by MichelleK; 11-08-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #12  
Syn
ONE BITE AT A TIME*Loser*

Hi Again,

LuckyLadyBug: http://recipebox.net/recipe4gifts/giftjars.htm

Potato Soup Mix

1-3/4 cups instant mashed potatoes
1-1/2 cups dry milk
2 Tablespoons instant chicken bullion
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1-1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Place in 1 quart canning jars to store.
Makes 6 servings.

Instructions to attach to jar:
To serve: place 1/2 cup mix in soup
bowl and add 1 cup boiling water. Stir until smooth.

Another Soup in a jar mix:
SPLIT PEA SOUP MIX

2-1/2 cups green split peas (16 oz. pkg.)
2-1/2 cups lentils (16 oz. pkg.)
2-1/2 cups pearl barley (16 oz. pkg.)
2 cups alphabet macaroni (8 oz. pkg.)
1 cup dried onion flakes
1/2 cup celery flakes
1/2 cup parsley flakes
1-1/2 teaspoons thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons white pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.
Makes 10 cups of mix.

TO COOK: Combine 1 cup of soup mix with 4 cups of water or seasoned stock in large pan.
Add 1 cup of cooked chopped meat, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer gently for 45 to 60 minutes, or until peas are tender.
Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt if desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Make Your Own Pancake Mix
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
8 cups flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups buckwheat flour (or use whole wheat flour)
1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk powder
5 Tbsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. baking soda
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. malt powder (optional)

Place instant oatmeal in a food processor or blender and process until ground. In a very large bowl, blend ground oatmeal, flours, buckwheat flour, corn flour, cornmeal, ground oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and malt powder. Pour pancake mix into four 1 quart jars (you may need to tap the jars to settle the mix and get it all to fit). Store in a cool, dry place for up to one year.

RECIPES

Pancakes

1 cup homemade pancake mix
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 - 2/3 cup water
2 Tbsp. mild vegetable oil

In a medium bowl, combine pancake mix with 1/2 cup water, egg, vanilla, and vegetable oil just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add more water, if necessary, to make batter desired thickness. Drop by 1/4 cup measure onto lightly greased hot nonstick skillet or griddle. Cook until surface is bubbled and edges appear dry. Flip pancakes and cook until risen and browned on second side.

Waffles

2 cups homemade pancake mix
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup water
1/4 cup mild vegetable oil

In a medium bowl, combine pancake mix with water, eggs, vanilla, and vegetable oil just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add more water, if necessary, to make batter desired thickness. Bake in heated waffle iron following manufacturer's instructions, until steaming stops.

-------------------------------------------------

Chai Tea Mix
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered non-dairy creamer
2 tsp. vanilla powder*
2-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cardamom

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. In a blender or food processor bowl, place 1 cup at a time, and process until mixture is blended and the particles are fine.

Add 2 heaping serving tablespoons Chai tea mixture to a mug of boiling water and stir to mix well.

*If you can't find vanilla powder, mix 2 tsp. vanilla extract with some of the sugar until blended and dry. Then process with remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.

Every year I make a large batch of the Chai tea mix and hot choc mix for my daughter to take to the hospital where she works as gifts for her co workers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Onion Soup Mix
3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef flavored instant bouillon
4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. celery seed, crushed
1/4 tsp. sugar

Mix all ingredients together well, and store up to 6 months in cool, dry place. Stir before each use. Five tablespoons of the mix equals 1.25-oz. pkg. of purchased dry onion soup mix.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://busycooks.about.com/library/r...blspicemix.htm

*This web-site has a lot of recipes to make your own spices etc...

---------------
I have made and given away the recipes I have written down here, have only made a couple of the spice ones...I like the *taco spice mix... and the onion soup one tastes much like the expensive onion soup mix ....

I am also planning on giving a lot of jars of the Hot Chocolate recipe I submitted in here last week.

As I said these are some of the mixes I have tried and people said they liked when I gave them as gifts.

They have everything from beverage to bath salts to cookies etc as gifts in a jar all over the internet... I can't vouch for any I haven't tried...I think they even have dog and cat treats too..

A couple of my friends and I used to go in together on purchasing the ingredients and we would make up some jars together and decorate the jars with ribbon and would attach a recipe card with instructions.... lot of fun and not all that expensive.....

I hope this hasn't been too confusing...enjoy!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:44 PM   #13  
a work in progress...

What wonderful gift ideas...thanks for sharing, Syn! I was just pondering what sort of "clutter free" gifts to give my family. I was going to make up a cookie basket for each, kind of a "family gift," maybe I'll add some hot cocoa mix and some chai to each basket.... Those soup mixes would be good for my daughter and her friends away at school.

Oh, you've gotten my wheels a turnin'!

Thanks again!

PS...anything with "the Wiggles" is big with the two to four year old set these days!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #14  

Thanks, Michelle, I would like the name of the book if you find it.

Syn thanks for the information - I WAS going to get off the computer until YOU posted!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #15  
You and Me in 2003

my computer is on the fritz so I may be in and out
Closed Thread