Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Default Hypothyroid and Diet Suggestions

Hey All,
I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started medication about 3 weeks ago. I am starting to feeln somewhat better and now I want to start taking control of my weight (again). I have a book from the library coming and I ordered The Thyroid Solution Diet...it is in the mail. But I just wanted to see if anyone was following a specifc diet and having successs (2 pounds a week possibly). I am sorry for the short hurried post..I am work. I appreciate anything you can add!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I do paleo and when I stay strict about it I lose 2-3 lbs a week. However, I've read that going very low carb (VLC) is bad for the thyroid so I make a point to eat 100-150g of carbs per day. Which is still considerably lower than the standard American diet of 300-400+ g of carbs per day. High quality paleo friendly carbs are easy to get- fruit, berries, nuts, sweet potatoes, etc.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #3  

Wow thanks for that. When I as uploading my calories in fitnesspal, I normally didnt go over 100 carbs...not on purpose but because of my food choices. Thanks for your response!! It really made me feel better. The meds are taking care of some of my symptoms but I have become overwhelmed and distraught about finding a "special" eating plan that I just haven't being doing anything. If I go back to what I was doing initially (before I gave up for other reasons), I could still see results. Light at the end of the tunnel! You made my day!

Last edited by RoyalAthena; 09-17-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

Hi RoyalAthena,

I've been on thryoid meds for a couple of years with adjustments. Unfortunately, it's been hard to balance and I've been thrown both ways. It stinks. Right now my numbers look good but considering what I've been through I'm going to have my numbers checked regularly. I'm meno as well. I've gained twenty pounds over two years.

Funny - I just purchased Thyroid Solution Diet and received it over the weekend. I was really excited about the book but I'm completely disappointed in it. Okay - I have to say I haven't read the whole thing but he recommends soy products and raw goitrogenic vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables and goitrogenic foods aren't even mentioned in the index. I've always read those are really bad for thyroid patients. Some books say avoid those vegetables altogether, others say at least cook them. I wouldn't eat goitro vegies raw on a regular basis.

Let me know what you think of the book. Would love to hear your thoughts and your results if you try it.

I'm picking up a book at the library by a Chiro who does body shape diets. Who knows? Keep in touch.

Lizzy (Crimzon)

Last edited by Crimzon; 09-19-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: An addition
Crimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/187.4/119

Height: 5'4"

Default Kick sugar!

Hi RoyalAthena. I feel your pain, I was also diagnosed as hypothyroid this year. Something that really helped me was giving up sugar. I am sure it sounds horrific to some, but it helped me no end and kicked off my weight loss journey. I can honestly say, as a former sugar addict, that after the first week or two, I didn't miss it, and noticed many positive changes in the way I felt and functioned. A good site to check out is Iquitsugar.com.au, which was put together by a girl with hashimotos - a type of thyroid disease. There is so much research emerging about the major problems the huge amounts of sugar in the typical western diet is causing, it is quite frightening. We with thyroid problems need to take extra good care of our bodies, and kicking sugar out of my diet is an option I found to have helped. Good luck with your journey
Lyndality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Hi RoyalAthena,

I have had hypothyroidism for many years. I am currently on a medically supervised low carb diet and it has worked well for me. My doctor says that it is perfectly safe to have 20 to 30 net carbs a day. I have found that the most important thing is that I take my medication correctly, on an empty stomach with water and wait an hour to eat.

Hypothyroidism can certainly slow weight loss but, in my experience, as long as the hypothyroidism is treated, weight loss is possible.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #7  

Thanks so much everyone! I did get the Thyroid Diet book in the mail and The Everything Thyroid book from the library.I am going to pick it up today and also look at the diet section to see if there is anything else that pertains to me.

I am also going to check out the website for giving up sugar. I desperately want to get over my addiciton to candy and diet soda. I would like to enjoy fruit as much as I do M&Ms. I have tried several times but never lasted but maybe now I will have try motivation with my health being at stake. I have alot of reading to do this weekend since I am starting some proper eating plan on Sun/Mon. I will come back and update. Thanks again!!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I am hypothyroid and I do a plan that is moderate carb and carb cycling. I was able to lose 2-3 pounds per week early on plan...but, after 20 months in I lose more like 2 lbs a month now. I am not that close to goal, either. But, any loss is better than a gain.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 231/187.4/119

Height: 5'4"

Hi Ann, if you are interested in extra motivation for kicking sugar, The Bitter Truth, which you can find on You Tube, is definitely worth watching. It's a talk by Robert Lustig, one of the leading researchers in the world, based at University of California, about the damage sugar does to us. It's pretty long, but you can skip through! I found it pretty scary, but so interesting. It's not too preachy but gives you information you can use to make healthier decisions.
Lyndality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Hi RoyalAthena,

I have had hypothyroidism for many years. I am currently on a medically supervised low carb diet and it has worked well for me. My doctor says that it is perfectly safe to have 20 to 30 net carbs a day. I have found that the most important thing is that I take my medication correctly, on an empty stomach with water and wait an hour to eat.

Hypothyroidism can certainly slow weight loss but, in my experience, as long as the hypothyroidism is treated, weight loss is possible.
Agree...and the low carb/low glycemic choices work better for me. VERY careful with fruit.Berries are the lowest on the glycemic index. Fruit has changed over the years and is hybridized to be..... SWEETER...DUH???
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndality View Post
Hi Ann, if you are interested in extra motivation for kicking sugar, The Bitter Truth, which you can find on You Tube, is definitely worth watching. It's a talk by Robert Lustig, one of the leading researchers in the world, based at University of California, about the damage sugar does to us. It's pretty long, but you can skip through! I found it pretty scary, but so interesting. It's not too preachy but gives you information you can use to make healthier decisions.
University of Sydney has done a lot of research on glycemic index and produces a enews letter on low glycemic eating.

Last edited by 65X65; 10-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #12  

Hello ladies!

There are a few causes of low thyroid, one of them can be low Iodine. Including Celtic sea salt into your diet can be very beneficial! Or just putting a few drops of Lugo's Iodine into the water can help a lot! Another one is Copper toxicity, and anyone on the pill probably has it... The best way to fix that is to supplement with Zinc (try biglycinate form) which replaces copper. 50 mg per day should be a good amount. Zinc also helps with digestion, immune system and it is basically in every chemical reaction in our body - wonderful mineral, not gonna hurt anyone!

About goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables - I wouldn't recommend avoiding them all together since they are very healthy, but you must cook them well!

I hope you find this useful! I have a blog if you want more nutrition advice (www dot nadyapeche dot com)

Good luck!
NadyaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #13  
Jacksonville, FL

Can someone share how they do carb cycling? I will look it up, but have found someone with experience so often more helpful...working on getting thyroid in check...
Deelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I think a lot of carb cyclers tend to make it up as they go by figuring out what numbers make them gain and lose. This is my system...Mon Wed and Fri I eat 40 carbs or less. Tues and Thurs I eat carbs with dinner only and typically under 100 and not from wheat. On Saturday and Sunday I will have about 200 carbs. I still eat them with dinner/dessert.

I know my "magic number" is 100 if I am doing straight carb counting and not cycling. I have to stay under 100 carbs per day if I want to lose. So, knowing that, I could also plan for 700 carbs in seven days and theoretically it should work out about the same. So, if I ate 200 on both Sat and Sun that is 400 and I could divide the other 300 up for around 65 per day. But, for me personally it tends to work better to zig zag between high and low days. I hope that makes sense.

Another method...I have heard of some who rotate betweeen 50 and 100 carbs all week; three rotations of each and then have one cheat/refeed day on the weekend where they don't count. Good luck!

Last edited by mariposssa; 10-17-2013 at 03:42 AM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote