General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

when I was at a similar weight I found that regular pads were just fine for me....somehow over the years my TOM got lighter and lighter to where I don't really need pads much these days....I just switched to a different birth control though, so we'll see how that goes
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Default Plus size women and menstrual pads

Does anyone know if it's typical for plus size women to require longer pads? I stopped using pads years ago, and opted for a cup instead, but have recently had to return to pads (ugh) and I find that I need 'overnight' pads regardless of how light my flow is. My current periods are not heavy at all (that's not the reason I use the overnight pad); the reason for their use is usually due to where the flow settles on the pad vs. my panties, even during a light flow. So, I've been wondering if it's due to my size and if it's a common experience among (menstruating) plus size females. Although shorter pads would be more convenient, I'm not bothered by it, just curious if this is typical.

Last edited by belovedspirit; 09-23-2013 at 03:21 AM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

weird!!! my post appears ABOVE yours....i'm sorry, I have no idea how I did that
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
weird!!! my post appears ABOVE yours....i'm sorry, I have no idea how I did that
No worries! Thanks for the response!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also need overnight or other extra long pads. I found a variety that had "plus size" listed on the box once, but never again.

I've also looked for, but haven't found a panty liner that is wide or long enough.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

The doctor once told me that fat cells affect your oestrogen levels, making them rise, which can cause heavy or prolonged bleeding. However I'm sure there's many women for whom it doesn't affect them- maybe make a GP appointment just to be on the safe side? It could just be totally normal for you, but always better to be safe I figure!

Good luck!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #7  

^ That's a good point. I guess what I was trying to say in my original post (and edited to make more clear), is that my periods now are not heavy at all -- that's not the reason I use the overnight pad. I'm curious if that's common among (menstruating) plus size females.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 318/263/258

In my personal experience, my period is heavier than ever before. Yes, I've been checked out by my GYN and everything is a-ok but I wish I had a lighter period.

As for the "size" of the pads, I'm no help there. I switched to a cup years ago.
shrewlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I use a cup too. Also, if you are interested in pads, there are reusable pads and they do have longer ones. There are some various brands and even some on etsy. GladRags are one popular brand.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedspirit View Post
^ That's a good point. I guess what I was trying to say in my original post (and edited to make more clear), is that my periods now are not heavy at all -- that's not the reason I use the overnight pad. I'm curious if that's common among (menstruating) plus size females.
Oh, oops! I've never really classified myself as 'plus size', but even at my new lower weight i do find that i have to use pads with wings as ones without always shift to the right and leak on the left- maybe it's just how our legs are shaped or something!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I think needing a longer pad for plus size has nothing to do with flow, and everything to do with undergarment real estate. A bigger pair of panties mean a bigger crotch section which has more area to cover. Using a pad built for smaller panties creates the dilemma of where to place the pad and how to prevent panty shifting.

The longer pads solve the dilemma, because they cover the whole crotch section (just like average-sized pads do in average-sized panties).

I need four regular sized panty liners to cover the crotch area of my humongous granny panties. Why can't they just make an extra-wide, extra-long panty liner to fit larger panties?

The "long" panty liners usually are still too narrow, and using multiples doesn't work well, because for some reason it seems to increase the odds of the liners rolling and ending up adhesive side up (Ouch).

It all boils down to bigger panties needing wider and longer pads to cover the same area that smaller pads fill on smaller panties.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Yes, I found I needed longer pads when I was heavier - it was due to my shape, not the heaviness of my period, which has changed slightly but not enough to explain the difference.

Then I started using a menstrual cup, and won't ever go back. Pads are backup, cloth pads are even better. And they don't need to be long, because they're just for gushes or spillover if I've been too busy to empty the cup.

Epic TMI, but there you go.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

I know that this is a bit on a tangent off of the subject but I have Mirena, the IUD which has helped me tremendously with my periods, they were disgustingly heavy, long and painful at times, causing me to be iron deficient anemic. My gynecologist said that she has had patients who are not overweight yet have had heavy periods. The Mirena is expensive but very worth it, I have no periods anymore. I will probably get Mirena again, the maximum amount of time for one to stay in is five years, I am much less anemic now.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #14  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

I had fibroids and epic flows that had me doubling up on overnighters with wings plus tampon and still I had problems with coverage. I no longer have the equipment, praise the Lord and pass the fan for the hot flashes.

Even before all that got started though I needed to use long, big, winged things to deal with my shape and where things went to when seated as I had a hard time with tampons with lighter flows.

A big P.I.T.A. is Auntie Flo!
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Yes, I found I needed longer pads when I was heavier - it was due to my shape, not the heaviness of my period, which has changed slightly but not enough to explain the difference.

Then I started using a menstrual cup, and won't ever go back. Pads are backup, cloth pads are even better. And they don't need to be long, because they're just for gushes or spillover if I've been too busy to empty the cup.

Epic TMI, but there you go.
Hear, hear! I love cups. I've used a cup for about 5 years, and never looked back. But I recently got an IUD and I'm concerned that the suction of the cup might expel the IUD, particularly during the first couple of months when expulsion rates are highest. I have an appointment with my gyno this week, so I'll check in about that. If I can resume using a cup, that'd be ideal. They are indeed awesome!