Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/170

Height: 5'10

Default Feel like I'm far too easy on myself

When I started my plan, I was very strict and would never go over my calorie limit. This lasted maybe three months. In the months since then, I've started to become very on/off. As in when it gets too much, and all I wanna do is eat cheesecake or just not care about my plan or counting calories, I give myself permission to do it... for a day, a week, a month. Basically, however long until I feel ready to commit again. I don't usually gain, except the last occasion, when I took a few weeks off, with one very bad junk food filled week thrown in. I've been back on plan for the last week, and any pounds that were creeping on have already all gone.

I feel like you're supposed to commit even when it gets really hard. But when I really don't want to do it any more, I just say to myself, well, don't then. And I feel completely ok about it. I feel ok about eating rubbish, and I feel ok that when I'm ready, I'll stop eating rubbish. I keep weighing every now and then to make sure I'm not gaining. I don't know. I feel like this isn't enough commitment, but for me, it seems more sustainable. When I don't do this, and I try to keep going and going even when I'm finding it impossible, I just end up thinking about food constantly, and craving it constantly, and finding it harder and harder to control until I give up anyway, feeling a lot worse.

At the same time, I feel like I could be doing a lot more, and all I'm really doing is giving up when it gets hard? Except I never even consider it giving up or starting over because it's always at the back of my mind that it's just a temporary indulgence. lol I'm just not sure this is the right attitude to have?
terichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #2  
Started IP Nov 1 2013

S/C/G: 271/251/145

Height: 5'7

I understand what you are saying...i have found that having one cheat day a week works for me. That way if I am craving something really bad i can say to myself i can wait for sunday...it stops me from binging or feeling like I can't enjoy a treat with the family.... As long as i stay on plan the rest of the time I feel like I'm in control of it.
sologirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Commitment means sticking with it even when you don't feel like it.

But I understand what you're saying... I go through moods too, I think we all do.

Hugs and good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #4  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I think your approach is completely sane and actually quite sensible. It sounds like you're aware of when you start to feel deprived, and rather than keep such a tight sense of control on your diet that you eventually snap and do some major damage, you allow yourself time off as you need it, and then eventually resume your weight loss diet.

I think one of the reasons people stop weight loss efforts and regress is because of this sense of deprivation, and not being able to get back on track. It sounds like you're able to circumvent both issues. Honestly, I don't think you're being too easy on yourself -- sounds like the difference between smart vs. hard dieting. Smart dieting just makes more sense. No reason to drive yourself into the ground with an approach that will backfire. Way to go!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #5  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Also, if it works for you (which it clearly has -- way to go on your weight loss!), then I say it's absolutely a great attitude and approach to have. Sounds like a green light to me!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/208/165

Height: 5'6"

I'm with belovedspirit. I think you have really hit on a great balance. I'm doing kind of the same thing. I joined Weight Watchers at the end of February, but I've only had one week so far where I actually wrote down all my points and stayed inside my points target. I'd go crazy if I couldn't have some
Ben and Jerry's or a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich sometimes. Or we made apple muffins this morning using the apples we picked last week. I have to have some indulgences and family activities that involve food once in a while. But, like you, I am down 60 pounds, and I intend to keep going. Balance is my mantra for now.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #7  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Whatever works for you belovedspirit! The reason 'cheating' gets maligned is that a lot of us, myself included, have to stay strict every day because otherwise our cravings get out of control.

But that doesn't sound like a problem for you ... so keep dieting your way! Each of us is different so there is no right or wrong, just what does or does not work for you!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #8  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

This just is too easy and weight loss is supposed to be painful! Why in the world would you stick with something that is working and not hard?????

Like the others have said, if this works for you it great! Sounds like good practice for maintenance too. I am envious because I have never been able to maintain. I either lose or gain so have to learn how to maintain.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote