Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
I have to ask you ladies, what about like Palmer's and other creams? No luck? Is surgery the only way? I'm so scared of going under the knife!
I think it depends on the severity of the problem skin. I was obese from puberty and maybe before. So around 20 years. I carried most of my weight in my stomach. I have big skin fold that isn't going to just shrink up. It's terrible to deal with while doing any exercise and I cannot wear form fitting clothing.

My boobs are so empty that they cannot stay in a normal victorias secret bra. They have little volume and somehow wind up half falling out toward the middle throughout the day.

My arms... well, they could still get better, but I'm not holding out much hope. What's funny is my husband thinks my arms need the surgery most and that my tummy and boobs aren't that bad. That's how I know I need to do the arms hahaha!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
I have to ask you ladies, what about like Palmer's and other creams? No luck? Is surgery the only way? I'm so scared of going under the knife!
I agree that it depends on the severity. I have been over 200 pounds since I was 15, over 250 since I was 18, and from 25-29, I was 350 pounds. At current (31 yo), I am the lightest I've ever been since middle school. I carry all of my weight in my stomach, and have a "double stomach", the lower of which is an "apron". I lost my first 100 pounds in 9 months, 3 weeks. The last 60 pounds took me from October 2012 - now. The surgeon said I have (when I weighed 208) 10 - 12 pounds of loose skin on just my stomach. I have lost about 20 pounds since then, but do not look much different. So I am guessing, I am around 15 pounds of loose skin now. I've included 2 pics. One (red undies) is my stomach after losing 100 pounds. It was taken after maintaining 100 pounds lost for 3 months. The second (blue undies) is after 160 pounds, I took it after maintaining 160 pounds for about 2 weeks. It has not changed in the past 3 weeks at all. Even according to my VERY honest boyfriend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater View Post
What is the difference between mons lift and just getting the skin tightened? I guess I thought it was the same thing, but I haven't been to see a surgeon yet.
I am not having that area in particular lifted, which is what I thought you meant. I am having a traditional tummy tuck with an anchor cut (to fix my upper stomach), but all the surgeon is doing is pulling the skin up, so it won't be perfect, like my stomach, but just better. Thighs will be the same. Part will be fixed by the pulling of the stomach skin, but it is not the focus of the procedure. Does that make sense?

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010063.jpg (13.7 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg P1010111.jpg (19.4 KB, 189 views)
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesgirl80 View Post

I am not having that area in particular lifted, which is what I thought you meant. I am having a traditional tummy tuck with an anchor cut (to fix my upper stomach), but all the surgeon is doing is pulling the skin up, so it won't be perfect, like my stomach, but just better. Thighs will be the same. Part will be fixed by the pulling of the stomach skin, but it is not the focus of the procedure. Does that make sense?

Chris
Yes. I am excited to see your results!
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #19  

Report from the surgeon!!!!

1. He can't believe I've lost 20 more pounds since I've seen him last!
2. I asked if I had to kill myself to lose 10 more pounds in the next 10 days, or can I just maintain and still be happy with my results?

He said MAINTAIN!!!!

3. Has loosing the 20 pounds lessened the amount of fat on my upper stomach (Where most of the remaining fat was located)?

He said YES!!!

4. When he makes the horizontal incision on my lower stomach, will that pull everything up and at least partly fix the loose skin "here" (as I grabbed the mons area, lol)?

It won't be perfect, but there will be a huge improvement. The thighs will have less, but since I don't have much loose skin there, he thinks I will still notice positives.

My surgery is June 6th, but I will be spending the night in the hospital, so it will probably be Friday night or Saturday before I can report on the actual changes!

Chris
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

*bump* what happened ikesgirl80?!?
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 95/Ticker/70

Height: 170cm

Thank you so much for posting this Q! I have exactly the same issue and I HATE it! It's such a pain when buying pants and I have to buy larger size or wear long tops. It was making me feel like such a freak but now I know I'm not alone with my chubby lady part
mascara blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkrckpixikat View Post
*bump* what happened ikesgirl80?!?
Oh it looks good!

Sorry I have not been online much in the last 3 weeks!

Short story, and then tomorrow I PROMISE I will have a nice long post!

Mom and step dad arrived June 5th.
Had surgery June 6th. Went perfect.
Home June 7th.
Kicked my boyfriend out on June 12th (see long story tomorrow!).
He had his stuff out on June 15th.
Went off ALL pain meds June 16th.
Mom and step dad left today, June 23rd.

Healing beautifully. Scars are NOT as bad as I thought they would be. Pain is NOTHING. Sneezing is a B*TCH! Can't wait for an evening with my BFF's tonight (they are spending tonight with me, just for my mom's sanity!) and then a day more or less alone tomorrow (to type up my story/experience). Promise pictures will be included tomorrow!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 216/216/125

Height: 5'4"

I think even when I was skinny I had a pooch there LOL... Good Idea to have it corrected w/ skin removal surgery :P
Mommy2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #24  

hi I'm 16 and starting to lose weight I too have sort of large mons pubis, I'm 222 pounds and I'm really worried that when I lose weight it either won't go with weightloss or ill be left with lots of unwanted excess skin, which do you think is more likely to happen do you think the mons pubis will just decrease in size because I really don't want to have surgery, sorry if someone else has already posted a similar comment it's just I'm really scared
mcsickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

McSickie - I wouldn't worry to much. The thing about the mons pubis is that it doesn't gain super fast so it often doesn't get stretch marks - so most people skin there is in pretty good condition. And at your age, you probably have great skin tone there. So I think the skin will probably bounce back just fine - particularly the sooner you lose weight and the less time that area spends big.

Don't be scared!!! Worst case scenario - you can have it fixed. There are even really minor procedures you can have done - some can be done with local anesthesia.

But really, with age on your side,your skin is likely to bounce back. If not, you can always pursue surgery.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 338/196/160

Height: 5 foot 8

Congrats on your weight loss. I've lost 130ish lbs and i have noticed quite a substantial difference in this area. I was really worried about this as well, i figured since I couldnt exactly "work out" the area, I was doomed to have a fatty area there forever. While other areas are looking like they are going to need some nipping and tucking once Ive hit my goal, im pretty confident that wont be one of them. I would be curious to hear if the surgery helps though! Good luck!
graciaincito is offline   Reply With Quote