Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:59 PM   #1  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Default Skin Care

OK all you lovely ladies out there with clear skin!

What do you use as a daily skin care regimen? I used to have OILY skin with dry patche under my eyes and lots of Acne! SInce using the Retina A therapy and the topical antibiotic, the only thing the doctor would let me use was Dove soap and sun screen. No Moisturizers or other soaps/cleansers to wash with.

Now if I go off the Retin - A and such, I would like to use a good skin care regimen. WHat do you all use. I am really starting to get dry now.(Could be the prescriptions though with the cool weather we are having too) Any sugestions would be great! Or should I head to Clinique or Estee Lauder counters? LOL! I would rather go to my local drugstore and save the $$ for now.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:05 PM   #2  
Head Princess

I'm a low maintenance girl myself. I use olay daily facial cloths and ponds or olay moisturizer. That's it. My skin is starting to look so good that I rarely wear foundation anymore.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #3  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default First - look at this book

"Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter with Me."

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/books.asp#dg5

Then, pick a moderately priced good moisturizer. That should be all you need. Don't spend a LOT of $$ on moisturizer.

I have loved ALL of her "Paula's Choice" products, fwiw....

But, interestingly enough, when I went to see my dermatologist about my acne and breakouts, he told me to STOP using Dove and start using Neutrogena. So, now all I use on my face is Neutrogena and he was right... for me. Now that our FRIGID weather has kicked in, my skin is dry. But, it still breaks out if I use any form of moistuizer on it so I'm still searching for just the right one.

I still get breakouts, but they aren't as bad as the used to be except around TOM or pregnancy. :P
Old 11-07-2003, 01:31 PM   #4  

KarenW: I have never had a big problem with acne but I have always had problem skin in other ways. I have eczema under my eyes believe it or not and to boot I have dark circles because of my allergies so using a concealer only makes the eczema worse!

It is a never ending battle for me.

I use Aveda products. I like the foundation and the face wash. I have always had good luck with this line. I recently started using M.A.C. eye shadows only because the pigment is richer and the shadow lasts longer than the Aveda.

My dermatologist has recommended various things over the years but he said it really doesn't matter. As long as it isn't too harsh and there aren't any harmful ingredients in it.

I would just find a gentle cleanser and a good moisturizer and that should do it.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:01 PM   #5  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Dermatoligist put me on Dove only with Aquaphor for dry exzema type areas at night. Works well for my skin type!
Old 11-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

WOW! You guys are great! I have to say, I love my Dove for my face! (That rhymes ! HEHE) So maybe I will find a good moisturizer... Even if I stay on the therapy, I need something for this dry skin!

Kim I love Aquaphor.. didnt think of that for my face at night... I used it on my kids for Diaper rash!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:02 PM   #7  
reaching my goals

I usually use Oil of Olay daily facial clothes. I also use St Ives facial scrub once or twice a week as I still have slightly oily skin. The humidity here brings it out. I use L'oreal Plentitude moisturizer and under eye moisturizer.

I used to use Avon's Anew line. I only stopped as I didn't know an Avon dealer here in VA.

Bath and Body Works has a new skincare line. I love the cleanser but the moisturizer leaves my face a little oily at the end of the day and I was using the one for oily skin.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #8  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

OK this board is a little freaky....
Is it just me or have a lot of you found people on this board who are VERY similiar to you?

Between Karen, Froufy, Jane and Star (without her tiara)....there are just so many weird things we have in common.

Oh - that reminds me Karen...Do you think it inappropriate if I ask my church to have "2" loaves of bread to break for communion? I could bring the Atkins lowcarb loaf....and Ralph could continue to supply our Freedman's Bakery loaf.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #9  
I'm a Jovi Girl

LOL! Kim! What a great Idea! LOL!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #10  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Kim,

Don't forget me with the c-sections and surgeries, not to mention the GD and Insulin, too!!

It IS a little freaky - but not so much if you consider that we are probably all doing Atkins because of our insulin resistance which lends itself to the "apple" shaped body anyhow.

Last edited by StorybookMama; 11-07-2003 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I use the Aveda products, both for face, body & hair and I LOVE them. They are a little more expensive but last a long time (a little goes a long way) and really do a phenomenal job!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 AM   #12  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hey we must have all been "sisters' in a previous life?

I join in with the c-sections (3 of them for all 3 kids!!! - talk about having no stomach muscles left)...and had GD for one of them too!

Eczema around my eyes - ohmygod - I just started having that a while back - now seems under control - I was scared to put any prescription creams near my eyes as I was not sure if it was safe.

Have an appt with dermatologist to discuss...but a 3 month wait - how effective is that?

As for skin care - as Froufies age they need to be more careful with their skin to maintain their youthful appearance! ha ha

I currently use a neutrogena cleanser (pump bottle) and was using a neutrogena moisturizer as well (healthy skin?)...but recently noticed when getting out of the shower and putting it on it stung my skin! So I have stopped using is and have not bought anything new - just using up all those little samples I have. Lancome sample (new stuff called d-something?) is pretty good, but I think its supremely expensive so will go to drugstore instead.

Another great cleanser I use in shower is actually soap free - called spectroderm, very mild and excellent - I try hard not to use soap on my face or body as I find it too drying.

Time to go for hair appt (YIPPEE)...then maybe shopping for new moisturizer??? and need a new blue eye pencil (mine seems to have disappeared - should I dare questions my 12 yr old dd?)

Froufy
Old 11-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #13  
I'm a Jovi Girl

OMG, I am in the c-section club too! (I had 2 of them, one after 18 hours of labor and NOt dilating past a 4 and DS was in distress, the other after trying a VBAC, after having the nurse from H*** turn up my pitocin from just starting an hour before to max [she didnt "believe" in working up to strong contractions] and screaming after the 2nd hour that I wanted my c-section! LOL. Got it since yet again I wouldnt dilate!)

Seems like most of us are sisters in the skin care area too! Drugstore seems to be the place of choice for products.. and neutragena or Olay as the choice brand! LOL! I always loved Olay as a teen and in my 20's. And I love the Neutragena tinted Moisturizer (Pre-Retin A) Who knew!
Old 11-08-2003, 10:53 AM   #14  
Movin' and Losin'

Thanks for all the good ideas, ladies! I'm never sure what to try in the facial cleanser/mositurizer area. It seems like I'm trying something different each month! And, nothing ever seems to work like I want it to. I might try Neutrogena now?? It sounds like a lot of people are happy with it. I'd like to find a decent one and stick with it! I need something for oily, occassionally acne-prone skin (the zits are becoming fewer since Atkins, but I still worry about it!).

Jina
Old 11-08-2003, 08:42 PM   #15  
Pure Energy

Jina,
I tend toward oily skin too but that has gone way down since starting Atkins. I use the Neutrogena for oily skin and also the medicated Apricot scrub from St. Ives. It has scrubby stuff in it and makes me feel really clean. There's also this stuff called "Pure Zone" by Loreal that is wonderful because it has menthol in it that leaves you feeling tingly and super refreshed. I used that when I need a pick me up.

Have any of you had any problems with Melasma or brown spots on your face. Sometimes it comes during pregnancy. I got some near my eyes and they just stick around even post baby. I also fight dark circles. I've had them since birth. The evil work schedule I have doesn't help. Thanks.

Jamie
Closed Thread