Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #1  

Default NEAT non-exercise activity thermogenesis.

So I just hate to exercise and I think it is bad for me. I hurt myself rather constantly. So I saw this the other day and got really excited. Study came out that talked about why some people can eat what they want and not gain

Quote:
New studies have shown that the likely explanation for this phenomenon is that your thin friend engages in non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), according to the American Council on Exercise. This means that while you are sitting and answering calls at your desk, they are pacing back and forth and burning twice as many calories. NEAT accounts for every type of physical activity, whether it is standing and cooking dinner, taking an extra flight of stairs or simply walking further to get to your car, all these calories contribute to your metabolism..
Later... I found this great website with calculators so you can see exactly what standing for 1/2 hour can do for you.http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/default.aspx

Has anyone ever tried this? In theory, just standing for 15 minutes each hour for your work day could burn off as much as going to the gym.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I'm a big believer in this... Now that I spend more time at a desk in front of a computer because of a position change for work, I went ahead and got a treadmill workstation and desk so I could walk slowly while working on the computer... But if I have to be sitting I set a reminder every hour so I can get up and just move around... I will also sometimes sit on a stability ball instead of in a chair while at my desk to do some "active sitting"... All of which has made a huge difference... I also take the stairs pretty often and try to do at least 10 flights a day, but often do 25 to 50 with just a little more effort and even did well over a 100 one day, although I really did feel that... lol... I also just try to walk more in general... which for me means things like getting off the subway a stop or two before I need to and walking the rest of the way or getting out of a cab 10 blocks early and walking from there...

One thing that has really helped with all of this and I've found to be very motivating for me personally has been the use of various "activity" monitors... I started off using a Nike FuelBand... and then tried out the FitBit One, which I really like... and I"ll probably try out the FitBit Flex as well, since I've been such a fan of the One... I think they're great for anyone that's looking to get some more NEAT into their day...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
of a position change for work, I went ahead and got a treadmill workstation and desk so I could walk slowly while working on the computer...
Wow... I wish I had something like that. I was excited to see how much you can burn per day. My brother was always thin. But he also had this weird thing that he naturally moved his feet while sitting or lying down. He wasn't really aware he was doing it. I have noticed certain people I work with... we get off the subway and they consistently go up the stairs while I knock people over to get to the escalator.

It seems like I have been raised to look for these things at every opportunity. Just like I look to sweets for reward ... I look at things like a seat / elevator as a reward. I have been conditioned every day, in every way to look for these things. Rushing to get on the subway so I will get a seat (and I am not even sure why I want one because I am only going two stops)

And, if I just trained myself to think differently about every one of these things... I could actually increase my metabolism substantially.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Yes. And studies show that people who engage in deliberate exercise actually have lower NEAT....too tired or just think they moved enough at their exercise session. So, yes! Overall daily expenditure can be more than deliberate exercise.

Edited to add....that's not the only reason to exercise deliberately though. Weight training is great for overall health and bones. Cardio is great for heart, lungs, mind...everything. It doesn't all have to be to achieve weight loss.

Last edited by kmac1196; 09-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1196 View Post
Yes. And studies show that people who engage in deliberate exercise actually have lower NEAT....too tired or just think they moved enough at their exercise session. So, yes! .
I had that happen yesterday. I went to the gym and tuckered myself out so much I fell asleep for 2 hours in the afternoon. I burned off about 200 at the gym and probably lost about 80 of that sleeping.

I wonder too sometimes if standing doesn't provide a better option for keeping leg muscles and bones strong than weights ever would? And or... that your weight lifting can be done much more infrequently than gyms would have you believe.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #6  

Since posting this -- yikes a long time ago-- my workplace got ma a Neat desk. It just lifts the computer so I can stand. So ironic when I worked at Sears all day I wished for a seat and now that I got one and an office I wish to stand. But I love it as sometimes when your working you don't even notice 30 minutes has passed.