General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default The Bravo Housewives

Anyone else a fan? I am! And before anyone posts and calls it drivel let me just say that I'm a pretty hard working person, raising my kid, I have college degrees, I like going to the ballet and the opera and my friends are all smart and erudite. The seriousness of my day and the reality of life (bills, stress, work, commuting etc) weigh heavily on me and I like to indulge myself in a bit of stupid tv. That said, I'm obsessed with the Housewives, I kind of hate all of them but love to hate them if you know what I mean.

If anyone watches the Jersey housewives I'm a bit annoyed at Jacqueline lately. Her insecurities are so severe, like get a grip girl! She can't work out in public because she's too self conscious, she can't be seen without make up even after cosmetic surgery, she's too scared to do anything and she looks so uncomfortable in her own skin I kinda feel sorry for her. All the others on the show are so confident in their looks that her insecurities really stand out and I just hate to see a beautiful woman feel so poorly about herself.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Anyone else a fan? I am! And before anyone posts and calls it drivel let me just say that I'm a pretty hard working person, raising my kid, I have college degrees, I like going to the ballet and the opera and my friends are all smart and erudite. The seriousness of my day and the reality of life (bills, stress, work, commuting etc) weigh heavily on me and I like to indulge myself in a bit of stupid tv. .
I agree, only instead of reality tv, I choose to watch the Mets lose again last night, while switching over to and eventually falling asleep to the Jets losing lol...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

No need to justify it! I totally get it, haha! While I've never seen Housewives I will confess to watching the occasional episode of Here Comes Honey BooBoo online. lmao.

I definitely know what it's like to feel that insecure though, although it's hard to understand in someone who society at large has granted the "beautiful" label. I had a friend in high school who was very beautiful, tall, blonde, thin, and she suffered from severe insecurity which unfortunately resulted in her taking her own life at 17. It's sad but I think it's how more sensitive women react to the intense pressure placed on women in our culture in regards to appearance. Other values need to get some spotlight if things are going to change.

Last edited by Lecomtes; 09-13-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecomtes View Post
Other values need to get some spotlight if things are going to change.
Truer words have never been said. But of course we're all guilty of perpetuating the value of beauty.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
I agree, only instead of reality tv, I choose to watch the Mets lose again last night, while switching over to and eventually falling asleep to the Jets losing lol...
You're going to have to toughen up if you're going to be a Mets fan, they'll disappoint you every time.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
You're going to have to toughen up if you're going to be a Mets fan, they'll disappoint you every time.
lol.. dont I know it..But they won yesterday!!...against the Marlins..

My dad is a Mets fan, so I've been a following them on and off since I was a kid...I figure the Giants used to be kind of a losing team when I was a kid, now look at them, people are proud to be giants fans...I figure I've got at least another 40-50 years of life, I'm going to hang in there and hopefully the mets will turn around. I'm a loyal fan, I dont jump on band wagons for winning teams.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #7  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

The housewives are my guilty pleasure! My favorites are the original Orange County housewives, but I also enjoy New Jersey and Beverly Hills too. Who am I fooling, I watch them all!

I've long wished they would develop a housewives of Dallas or Houston. How awesome would rich Texas housewives be?
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #8  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Not a fan of the wives...

I guess our guilty pleasure is Wipeout and MXC. Taking pleasure in the pratfalls of others.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #9  
diamondgeog

As a guy who has watched little snippets, I have to say I pity the fools who marry or date those women. Assuming they are anything like the edited world we see. What is the point about sharing your life with a person who is as self-centered and high maintenance as they appear on the shows? **** on Earth.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #10  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
As a guy who has watched little snippets, I have to say I pity the fools who marry or date those women. Assuming they are anything like the edited world we see. What is the point about sharing your life with a person who is as self-centered and high maintenance as they appear on the shows? **** on Earth.
Agreed 100%.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #11  

Don't knock a girl's guilty pleasure, what's the point of that? I could say that wrestling is stupid, or any show but really what's the point? I'm kind of fascinated by this fake little world where all the drama is generated artificially. I get a little chuckle out of it. I can't make any judgement on their marriages on a deep level because it's a tv show, in reality we don't know what's going on. But I don't like to put down women in general, even if they seem shallow and focused on things differently than me.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #12  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

I can see why people are fascinated with the wives. Their lives are certainly foreign and entertaining worlds for many people. It reminds me too much of my family dynamics though, the midwest version of wives and fading beauties. I can't go there and only initial curiosity had me peek in once or twice.

Of all of the wives, the NY ones were the most interesting IMO. My husband can't deal at all with them. He leaves the room. My family also makes him crazy. He loves them but has to take them in measured doses.

I get the guilty pleasure and frankly nothing is more stupid and pointless than Wipeout but we love it when we catch it.

Last edited by vintagecat; 09-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #13  

My husband can't tolerate the housewives either... Except NJ which he seems as addicted to it as I am.