General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/205/135

Height: 5'5

Question Green Coffee Bean X and Nextrim Cleanse reviews?

I recently read a few articles that talked about loosing 20+ pounds a month without exercising nor changing your diet by taking one Green Coffee Bean in the morning and one Nextrim Cleanse in the evening and it's supposed to be safe.

I had been on Ideal Protein a while back and lost 20 pounds in the first month, but had to stop because it was too expensive. I know that loosing that much in one month can be considered unhealthy, but I was feeling one hundred percent fine and my health had never been better.

so I was just wondering if someone has tried this? Does it work? is it a scam?
mamanmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

I would consider it a scam. There is no magic pill that will make you lose 20lbs in a month.

Ideal protein works because it is a meal plan that is low calorie and follows a particular nutrient bias (high protein, low carb, etc). I'm not as familiar with it, so that's really just a very broad description, lol! Someone with more Ideal Protein knowledge may come along and give you some of the finer details of why it was able to work and get you the results

If Ideal Protein worked, and you can't continue to use the system itself, perhaps you can create your own diet plan revolving around the methods they use? Use an app like LoseIt, or MyFitnessPal to track your calories (both free apps, as well as websites t hat have databases and barcode scanners,etc), and use a food journal to maybe document any scale changes/fluctuations as well as mood changes for food triggers? I spent several weeks calorie counting where I ate a bunch of different things and monitored how I felt (was I moody? was I grumpy? was I lethargic? etc), as well as weighed daily to check fluctuations (I learned that after eating 2 servings of regular pasta I retain about 3lbs of water from all the carbs. I continued to monitor carb intake and found a range I'm comfortable in where I don't retain water but can still enjoy some of my favorite foods).

The best way to lose the weight for good is to make small lifestyle changes that you can live with for the rest of your life (not every minute of it...but I'd say 90% of the time). The problem with these "magic pills" is that no one is going to want to take them every day for the rest of their life, and there are no studies done on how that could affect you that long-term.

My rule of thumb when I go into the diet aisle is if the testimonials sound too good to be true, then it usually is Also, the fine print on a lot of these bottles (if you can read it, I've come across several that have all the fine print stuff in Asian languages) say to follow a proper diet and exercise regiment....which if you do that already, you are going to lose the weight regardless if you're taking the pill or not.
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/205/135

Height: 5'5

thank you very much for your reply! I'll look into those apps you recommended and see if I can't try doing something with

the woman who was getting me through the Ideal Protein said it's the protein packs that make you loose 20 pounds a month, so without that, even with a balanced diet, I won't loose to that point (and I need to loose my weight to my 135 pounds by the end of 2014 for career reasons)

do you have any suggestions on a way to loose quickly as I change my diet as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
I would consider it a scam. There is no magic pill that will make you lose 20lbs in a month.

Ideal protein works because it is a meal plan that is low calorie and follows a particular nutrient bias (high protein, low carb, etc). I'm not as familiar with it, so that's really just a very broad description, lol! Someone with more Ideal Protein knowledge may come along and give you some of the finer details of why it was able to work and get you the results

If Ideal Protein worked, and you can't continue to use the system itself, perhaps you can create your own diet plan revolving around the methods they use? Use an app like LoseIt, or MyFitnessPal to track your calories (both free apps, as well as websites t hat have databases and barcode scanners,etc), and use a food journal to maybe document any scale changes/fluctuations as well as mood changes for food triggers? I spent several weeks calorie counting where I ate a bunch of different things and monitored how I felt (was I moody? was I grumpy? was I lethargic? etc), as well as weighed daily to check fluctuations (I learned that after eating 2 servings of regular pasta I retain about 3lbs of water from all the carbs. I continued to monitor carb intake and found a range I'm comfortable in where I don't retain water but can still enjoy some of my favorite foods).

The best way to lose the weight for good is to make small lifestyle changes that you can live with for the rest of your life (not every minute of it...but I'd say 90% of the time). The problem with these "magic pills" is that no one is going to want to take them every day for the rest of their life, and there are no studies done on how that could affect you that long-term.

My rule of thumb when I go into the diet aisle is if the testimonials sound too good to be true, then it usually is Also, the fine print on a lot of these bottles (if you can read it, I've come across several that have all the fine print stuff in Asian languages) say to follow a proper diet and exercise regiment....which if you do that already, you are going to lose the weight regardless if you're taking the pill or not.
mamanmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanmag View Post
thank you very much for your reply! I'll look into those apps you recommended and see if I can't try doing something with

the woman who was getting me through the Ideal Protein said it's the protein packs that make you loose 20 pounds a month, so without that, even with a balanced diet, I won't loose to that point (and I need to loose my weight to my 135 pounds by the end of 2014 for career reasons)

do you have any suggestions on a way to loose quickly as I change my diet as well?
I definitely understand wanting to lose the weight for your career, and it is possible to lose the weight without going to extremes. I took a glance at the Ideal Protein forums (it's under the packaged meal systems forum), and it looks like there are a lot of people who do a do-it-yourself method also, so you will probably find a lot of help there if you really enjoyed how that system worked.

For myself, I do calorie counting, and like I mentioned in my original post I document my mental and physical changes so I can identify trigger foods. I am meticulous about my food intake about 95% of the time (there are days where I do not count, which are generally special occasions). i use a fitbit one to track all of my movement and exercise so that I can be as close to accurate as possible and make sure I'm always in a decent deficit for the day. I've been dieting for just over 17 weeks now, and I've lost over 25lbs. I chose calorie counting because I love all different types of food and didn't want to give that up. calorie Counting (Weight watchers is similar) allows me to eat the things that I like, just not in the same large quantities.

The best diet is going to be the one that fits as closely into your lifestyle as possible. That's why I mentioned making smaller lifestyle changes, things that are simple enough that you can do it 100% of the time. For me that started with cutting out soda. Once the initial 2 weeks of ickyness wore off from the withdrawal, I felt much better. Then I moved to lowering my carb intake. Then I moved to walking more often, etc. You don't want to feel restricted on your diet, otherwise it tends to build resentment, which can cause rebellion/binges.

I could go on and on about my own experiences with dieting, what's worked for me, etc. But the thing is, what works for one person may not work for another. Browse the different forums, read the stickies to see what different diets are about, and look for things that already fit your own lifestyle Good luck! You can do this!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote