Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

Default Challenge getting enough calories? (Phase I)

I honestly never thought I'd say this, but I am NOT always eating enough calories each day and I think it may be impacting my loss rate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My coach and I set a target calorie goal of around 900 calories a day.

There are a few days each week where I am too low (650 or 700), even with the 3 packets, the 4 cups of veggies, 6-8 oz. of lean protein and unlimited lettuce. Plus the recommended oil and salt.

Here is what I focus on eating:
  • Stay away from restricted IP foods
  • Eat lean, broiled or grilled proteins (chicken breasts, white fish, pork tenderloin) with homemade spice rubs
  • Eat grilled or raw veggies (heavy on zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers and green peppers)
  • Love the unlimited lettuce
  • Lots of water and the occasional club soda + lime or La Croix

This plan is so strict that I want to stay in the right calorie range without going over on veggies or proteins for the day.

Hunger really isn't an issue. If I'm hungry and low on calories I'll grab a naked Jimmy John's turkey unwhich (mustard & cucumber only).

Any recommendations?
berteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I use my fitness pal app and I range from 450 to 900 calories a day. I think your coach is wrong to tell you how many calories you should be having. If you are following protocol then you are OP! If you are not hungry and are doing ok don't worry about calories just stay OP. but as a side question why are you staying away from restricteds? The plan is designed to have one a day.
trishthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3  

Another question what is your loss rate?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthayer View Post
Another question what is your loss rate?
Thanks for your comments.

I'm addicted to MyFitnessPal too. What a great tool!

My next weigh in is on Tuesday and it will be just shy of 2 months. I've lost 20+ pounds, averaging 3.2 per week. The first 20 came off really quickly; it stalled for a week and is heading in the right direction again.

As far as restricted, I'm just not a big fan of the ones I've tried. That being said, I did have the super-restricted IP Spaghetti Bolognese Mix for lunch today and it was good. Add that to the "You Know You're on IP if...." forum. I really like the pudding and packets that allow you to get a little more creative.

Ex: I'd rather turn the lower calorie crispy ceral packet into pancakes than use the restricted chocolate pancake or regular pancake/crepe packet.
berteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post
Thanks for your comments.

I'm addicted to MyFitnessPal too. What a great tool!

My next weigh in is on Tuesday and it will be just shy of 2 months. I've lost 20+ pounds, averaging 3.2 per week. The first 20 came off really quickly; it stalled for a week and is heading in the right direction again.

As far as restricted, I'm just not a big fan of the ones I've tried. That being said, I did have the super-restricted IP Spaghetti Bolognese Mix for lunch today and it was good. Add that to the "You Know You're on IP if...." forum. I really like the pudding and packets that allow you to get a little more creative.

Ex: I'd rather turn the lower calorie crispy ceral packet into pancakes than use the restricted chocolate pancake or regular pancake/crepe packet.
Have the required packets and follow the P1 sheet and you are fine and OP! The beauty of IP is you DON'T count calories or carb or anything. You only follow the sheet!

That being said, many have found if they only eat low fat meat (chicken, fish, pork) it doesn't necessarily equate to bettrr losses. it can actually be helpful to spur a loss by eating a nice steak or slightly higher fat burger once in awhile (not dripping fat, just a nice cut).

Last edited by JLUS; 09-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #6  

I agree with JULs, the weeks that I go a little higher on a few days because of a steak or burger seem to be better losses or me. Also we naturally stall and slow down the closer we get to goal and you are getting closer. I love MFP and even though we don't count calories and carbs on IP I really like seeing the numbers. With that said I do not worry what they are as long as I follow protocol!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #7  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

My calories are usually 1000-1200 per day according to myfitnesspal and I am I would say 90% following protocol. I do the odd small tweak here and there (I use some non-approved salad dressings, and add an extra hard boiled egg or cream in my coffee sometimes) and my losses have been fantastic! I am a firm believer that you can "mold" the protocol to help make it easier/better for you and still have weight loss- which is the ultimate goal no matter how you get there. In my opinion anyway!
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/212/169

I add egg whites sometimes. Totally on program. I add a few scallions to them, and mix in spices like red chili pepper seeds. I bought a couple little gadgets that allow you to micowave eggs in them. I buy the egg whites already separated, at Trader Joes. pour them into the the little microwave gadets, add the spices and scallions, and microwave for a minute or a bit more. I'm not a big microwave fan, and I only use it for heating water and a quick warm up sometimes. I cook the eggs like this because I usually am in a hurry and running out the door to work when I decide to make them.

I agree with others, however. just stay on the program. It will all work out. I've now lost 80 pounds since Jan. I really don't go off the program except I do drink a premade vanilla protein shake in my coffee once a day. I just use it like a creamer and It fluffs all up using the steamer head on the cappuccino maker. My little cheat , Hasn't seem to affect negatively. still, I pretty much just stay on program. Some weeks lose more than others, some weeks don't loose at all. But overall, it's all falling off and I"m shrinking , and it's way more successful than anything I've done in 25 years. Have gone from size 26 to size 14 on top and 18 on bottom. And am almost in a 16 on the bottoms now.

Good luck to you. and very spot on for wanting to stay on program.
California Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

trishthayer: 450 calories/day seems awfully low. Even if you chose the lowest calorie IP packets (orange drink or pink lemonade) and no restricted that particular day, I don't see how you could end up with that few calories.

Are you always getting 3 packets, 4 cups of veggies, 8 oz of meat and your oil?

ETA: Without knowing exactly what veggies you ate that day, 3 of the lowest calories packets at 80 each is 240. 1 teaspoon of oil is 40, 8 oz chicken is roughly 200 calories. That's already 480 without adding in veggies.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 09-14-2013 at 08:32 AM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post
I honestly never thought I'd say this, but I am NOT always eating enough calories each day and I think it may be impacting my loss rate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

My coach and I set a target calorie goal of around 900 calories a day.

There are a few days each week where I am too low (650 or 700), even with the 3 packets, the 4 cups of veggies, 6-8 oz. of lean protein and unlimited lettuce. Plus the recommended oil and salt.

Here is what I focus on eating:
  • Stay away from restricted IP foods
  • Eat lean, broiled or grilled proteins (chicken breasts, white fish, pork tenderloin) with homemade spice rubs
  • Eat grilled or raw veggies (heavy on zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers and green peppers)
  • Love the unlimited lettuce
  • Lots of water and the occasional club soda + lime or La Croix

This plan is so strict that I want to stay in the right calorie range without going over on veggies or proteins for the day.

Hunger really isn't an issue. If I'm hungry and low on calories I'll grab a naked Jimmy John's turkey unwhich (mustard & cucumber only).

Any recommendations?
I did Not use restricted because of the fact they all have gluten and I have to avoid that. My cals were always on the lowers side of the goal. I am also under 5 feet tall.. So my coach and I thought it was not a big factor for me. If I felt the lowered cals caught up to me with a really hungry monster morning...I was comfortable with adding a 2 egg white veggie scramble mid morning... But honestly after the first months it wasn't a problem. I was exercising after 3 months. I'm older, smaller than most people and I lost just under 70 pounds. In about 7 months!! Was able to do it with out breaking any IP rules... And it was no fuss for me. That part was an important factor in making it easy. Black and white choices removed a lot opportunity to get derailed for me, and I'm not sure anything else would have been faster for me either.

We are al individuals... I wasn't into ordering alternatives ..but found EAS shakes readily available where we live and used them as a handy convenient RTD option for busy days since the IP RTD stuff also has gluten.
Good luck all.. You'll find your mojo! Knowledge of the program, dieting in general and some common sense goes a LONG way!

Last edited by 65X65; 09-14-2013 at 08:33 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
trishthayer: 450 calories/day seems awfully low. Even if you chose the lowest calorie IP packets (orange drink or pink lemonade) and no restricted that particular day, I don't see how you could end up with that few calories.

Are you always getting 3 packets, 4 cups of veggies, 8 oz of meat and your oil?

ETA: Without knowing exactly what veggies you ate that day, 3 of the lowest calories packets at 80 each is 240. 1 teaspoon of oil is 40, 8 oz chicken is roughly 200 calories. That's already 480 without adding in veggies.
I looked at MFP and the days I was towards 450 calories I had had egg white omelette for dinner. My average calories seem to right around 750 ish but I always follow protocol so I am not worried about calories. There have been a few times I was over 1000 because I had great tasting steak.

Last edited by trishthayer; 09-14-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #12  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Don't forget to add 80 calories for 2 tsp of olive oil (on the phase 1 protocol) and 4 cups of vegetables has more calories than you might think (4 cups of steamed broccoli has 200 calories for example). Three IP packs will add up to nearly 400 calories. And 8 oz of chicken breast adds another 250 or so calories. So that's about 930 calories right there. Some meats are a bit more caloric than others. Plus you add in the unlimited lettuce.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 09-14-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

If you are having an omelet as your main meal shouldn't there be at least one whole egg in there? I think it's more but don't have the sheet handy and it's been a while since I was on phase 1.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
If you are having an omelet as your main meal shouldn't there be at least one whole egg in there? I think it's more but don't have the sheet handy and it's been a while since I was on phase 1.
Yes that would be true..but I subed whole egg for the IP herb omelette packet after week 2. Totally better tasting..WAY cheaper..and it was real food.
Coach approved and agreed. I never used eggs for my main meal while on this protocol. Just personal preference...
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
If you are using an omelette as your protein meal (instead of meat) it is 4 (FOUR) whole eggs and two egg whites!! Yes that is correct though it seems a lot! If it instead of a packet it is one whole egg and two egg whites!

I think if you are truly following protocol, then you are fine! Relax!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote