General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1  

Default Was this cruel?

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, I just want to tell someone. I just read on facebook, one of my fb friends posted she found outside a mother mouse nursing her babies, and "threw them over her fence"...that really pissed me off. Its one of my husband's coworkers so I wont even start with her.

I'm not an animal lover, we dont even have any pets but fish. I don't hold animals equal to pople and I'm not saying she needed to adopt this mouse family, but gees, throwing them over a fence is pretty shitty...I'm sure there's a less ahole way off getting them off her property.

Idk, that just bothered me. We have a rule with the kids, no killing anything outside that isnt hurting you. My boys dont step on bugs outside though they do like to play with them lol...

I could never throw anything thats alive over a fence...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

I may be the wrong person since I'm an animal lover (but for mostly cats & dogs) and I cry when a bird dive-bombs my car and I hit it, but that seems pretty cruel to me. I kill spiders and mosquitoes, and other bugs if they are trying to kill me, but I would never kill an animal.

OK, so I fish, but I feel like thats on a different level.
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I remember when I was a kid, my neighbors caught a mouse in the house, filled up their sink and drowned it by holding it under water with a glass. It really upset me. Even thinking about that upsets me. I have a very empathetic personality.

I get that mice are considered pests. And I don't want them in my house, either. But if I found a nest outside I'd probably leave it alone. They have enough challenges with cats and birds.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Mice can and do survive much greater falls without apparent injury, so she probably did them much less harm than she intended.

Personally, I love rodents, but on the other hand they are also a potentially a serious pest that can cause damage and spread serious diseases. A wild mouse's life is a very brutal one, so being injured or even killed in a fall would be a relatively quick and painless way to go.

I think killing them quickly would be more humane, but I don't know if I could do it, especially to babies. I wanted euthanize my pet rat myself when she was clearly suffering from terminal cancer, but I was so afraid to do it wrong that I ended up taking her to the vet.

I often let my rats out of their cages and they would climb, fall, and leap from great heights with no ill effects. I have read that being smaller, mice can actually fall further than rats without injury.

I'm not saying she did Momma and babies a kindness, but if she meant to keep them from invading her house and property, she probably failed.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #5  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

This is so sad. . I had pet mice and they can be very cute and sweet. This is very sad and upsetting to hear.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #6  

I agree, I wouldnt want them in the house, and bugs in the house get squished, well not by me, I find it too gross, DH does it. But he agrees that to just kill something out side for no reason is cruel.

And a mother with nursing babies? Seriously how cold hearted does one have to be? And this woman is a nurse!! That scares me too...

EagleRiverDee- that is horrible and would upset me very much to see. Was your neighbor a child or an adult?

Last year at the bus stop my son and the other girl there found a ladybug, and the girl kept telling my son to kill it and he refused. He said he doesn't like to kill things because it mean. And she said that when he (my son) got older he would like to kill things because that's what boys do and he brother is older and likes to kill things...well I could not keep my mouth shut at that. I told her that her brother is mean and boys do not like to kill things. I also told her that he mom and dad should have taught her brother not to kill things and that there is something wrong with him to enjoy killing even bugs. I was mad she said this to my son, my response was more about telling my son that her brother was wrong, so my son didnt think the brother's behavoir was normal. But she looked at me like I was nuts, like all the little girl knew was to kill things for fun...I'm sorry but I think that's sick...and not for nothing, but she was a nasty little girl otherwise, to the other kids, she was a real brat!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #7  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I love mice as pets, in an aquarium. But outside of that, if I see them, they die. They try to invade my house every fall/winter and I can't stand it. They are gross. I had one POOP in my silverware drawer. So no, mice get no love at this house.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Mice can and do survive much greater falls without apparent injury, so she probably did them much less harm than she intended.
I hope you are right. I hope the mom found all here babies and went some where else with them.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
I love mice as pets, in an aquarium. But outside of that, if I see them, they die. They try to invade my house every fall/winter and I can't stand it. They are gross. I had one POOP in my silverware drawer. So no, mice get no love at this house.
When I was a kid we lived next to a field and the town cleared the field and our house was infested with mice. I do know the damage they can do and how gross the poop is when its everywhere. I remember many times opening drawers (dressers, desk etc) and finding nests with babies! I know my mom would catch them and when she had a lot, drive to this other field and dump them there. I just can't imagine throwing a living creature, and I definitely couldnt kill them, not unless it was attacking me or my kids...and that would be one ballsy mouse!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

So, I initially read this as moose, not mouse and thought "and the mother didn't kill her?!!!"
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #11  
Cat Cuddler

S/C/G: 287/266/150

Height: 5'5"

I can't stand people who do things like that.

A coworker once joked that when he was a kid, he and his friends used to insert firecrackers in cats' rectums and light them! He got a major lecture from me that ended with, " how would you like it if someone did that to you, ***hole!"

People like that should be charged with cruelty to animals and punished severely!
doingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
So, I initially read this as moose, not mouse and thought "and the mother didn't kill her?!!!"
I wish it was a moose, then it would have thrown her over the fence!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingmybest View Post
I can't stand people who do things like that.

A coworker once joked that when he was a kid, he and his friends used to insert firecrackers in cats' rectums and light them! He got a major lecture from me that ended with, " how would you like it if someone did that to you, ***hole!"

People like that should be charged with cruelty to animals and punished severely!
In my life experience, people that are cruel to animals for entertainment, are not very compassionate people to their fellow man either. Typically they are also the same people that would yell out "fatty" while driving by an overweight person. There is a lack of ability to empathize. I'm talking people that for no other reason than amusment, injury, torture or kill animals. I have never met a person that is a caring spouse, loving parent, kind friend, that has a history of this type of behavoir. So I think it speaks volumes to the kind of person they are. Whether they were born defective and are unable to fully empathize with living creatures or they were abused themselves, I dont know, but I think these kinds of people are just water down versions of sociopaths...they never quite amount to full fledged murdering and cereal killing, but the potention is there...

And for what its worth, this coworker of my husband's is a litte nasty. She has posted other rude stuff unrelated to animal torture, and I heard a story from another nurse that this woman can be kind of mean..so like I said, this is someone that has already had other "actions" that say she possesses the personality of someone that I would find less than becoming, so this just adds to that...
Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

Yes I think that's cruel!
I don't want them in the house but If I see them outside they won't be harmed by me.
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 85/83/60

Height: 156cm

I'm not impressed :/ My partner and I are strong believers in respect for life. My partner even more so than me. He saves every spider in the house, moth, fly... anything really. Let alone a family of mice. We ALL only get to live once and I'd rather go to the effort to remove something from the house than hurting it to get the job done quicker. Where's the love!
Fresh Feeling is offline   Reply With Quote