Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/206/160

Height: 5'7

Default Protein Shakes- 1 scoop or 2

My plan (starting IP Monday) is below. I plan to have 2 shakes and 1 protein bar. In regards to the shakes, the protein powder I intend to use is low in carbs and sugars and tastes terrific. The serving size per scoop is 153 calories, 2g carbs, 0g sugars, and 34g of protein. Now that only makes about 5-6 ounces which seems to be gone after a few sips. Since there is a chance that I will still be hungry, am I allowed to use 2 scoops per shake or will I be too much over on carbs or protein?

Breakfast - 2 Egg whites and a shake

Lunch - 2cups of vegetables and 4oz of protein

Snack - Protein bar (190 calories, 19g carbs, 4g sugars, and 13g of protein)

Dinner - 4oz protein and 2 cups of vegetables

Snack - Shake
mperkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

No. While 2 scoops would only have four grams of carbs, you would be doubling the calories and protein.

To be honest, 1 scoop barely meets the requirements of an IP non-restricted at 153 calories. Most are 80-120 with a couple being 150 calories (mango RTD, rotini)

Most IP shakes are 15 grams of protein so I, personally, think 34 grams per scoop is too much.

I think you would be better off with a different alternative shake.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #3  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

34 g per scoop would be too much... and especially if you have 2 scoops

Too much protein will inhibit or even prevent ketosis.

Also, at 153 cal per scoop (and if you have 2 scoops), that is almost 3 times more calories than what is in an unrestricted Ideal Protein packet.

Might want to check in with the Alternatives thread or wait for someone who knows the Alternative values to sing out.

Good luck! The programme really works!
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/198/145

Height: 5"8"

I made a similar mistake. I purchased the Premier Protein shakes from Costco without realizing there were different variations. The one I bought had 160 calories and 30 grams of protein. I was getting discourage because I was losing weight much slower than the first time I was on Ideal Protein and finally figured out it was the shakes. i have switched to a 'snack' version of the premier protein shakes that have only 100 calories and 18 grams of protein, and I'm finding the losses to be much more in line with my first go around.

Good Luck!
dk8258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/206/160

Height: 5'7

Thank you all for the info. I am glad I found this out now (before I actually start) so I will not be wondering why I am not losing. I will definitely try to find another shake that tastes good but surely falls within the guidelines for what I can have
mperkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #6  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I use two of the premier protein shakes from Costco daily, sometimes three and have since starting 9 weeks ago, and it hasn't slowed my losses. I am averaging 3.62 lbs loss a week. From what I understand, there is no way that your body can turn protein into fat, so I don't really think you can get "too much".
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #7  
Started IP May 17, 2013

I don't know if it is my imagination or if they really make a difference, but I find that when I use the IP drinks (peach and mango or the blueberry/cran), my weight loss seems to happen more easily.

Can't quite pinpoint what it is about them that works for me but during the times that I have felt particularly hungry, I will reach for one of them ... even if it means that it might be the 4th packet of the day.

Annik
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #8  
Started IP May 17, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I use two of the premier protein shakes from Costco daily, sometimes three and have since starting 9 weeks ago, and it hasn't slowed my losses. I am averaging 3.62 lbs loss a week. From what I understand, there is no way that your body can turn protein into fat, so I don't really think you can get "too much".
Too much protein can inhibit ketosis according to some of the literature I have read.

Jimmy Moore (of Livin' la Vida Low Carb) also says this, too. He lost a lot of weight on Atkins but then started to gain. He started becoming very disciplined about measuring his ketones with a ketone metre. He started losing again when he kept his protein within a moderate range.

Just wondering, too (without meaning to be critical. Asked in the spirit of 'it is important to ask questions in science'): Are you absolutely sure that more protein hasn't slowed your losses? Ideal Protein is not a high protein diet. It is a moderate protein diet. A loss average of 3.62 pounds a week is very good. But how do you know that you wouldn't get better value for your effort if you curbed the protein to the recommended level... unless you actually do that? Unless you know for sure, it is possible that you are shortcircuiting what could actually be a higher average weekly loss.

As I say, 3.62 pounds a week is excellent. And if you are happy with that, that's great. But by following the protocol on protein intake, it is possible that it could be more.

Last edited by Annik; 09-13-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #9  
Third time's the charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Too much protein can inhibit ketosis according to some of the literature I have read.

Jimmy Moore (of Livin' la Vida Low Carb) also says this, too. He lost a lot of weight on Atkins but then started to gain. He started becoming very disciplined about measuring his ketones with a ketone metre. He started losing again when he kept his protein within a moderate range.
From the research I have done, it seems that "too much" would be more than 1g of protein per pound of body weight.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #10  
Third time's the charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkows View Post
My plan (starting IP Monday) is below. I plan to have 2 shakes and 1 protein bar. In regards to the shakes, the protein powder I intend to use is low in carbs and sugars and tastes terrific. The serving size per scoop is 153 calories, 2g carbs, 0g sugars, and 34g of protein. Now that only makes about 5-6 ounces which seems to be gone after a few sips. Since there is a chance that I will still be hungry, am I allowed to use 2 scoops per shake or will I be too much over on carbs or protein?

Snack - Shake
Check out the alternatives thread! Lots of info in there!!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #11  
Third time's the charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Just wondering, too (without meaning to be critical. Asked in the spirit of 'it is important to ask questions in science'): Are you absolutely sure that more protein hasn't slowed your losses? .
Like anything else, there is no way to truly know if something slows or quickens a loss. Just the same that someone may say that they find the shakes slow their losses, or restricted items, there is no way to be sure since there are so many other factors that could be going on (constipation, TOM, water retention). I did IP in 2010 without any alternatives, and my average was about 3.7 a week after 17 weeks, so I am using that as a basis as to what is "normal" for me. Perhaps without them, I would lose more weight, or less. But like you said, 3.6 is a great average, and I'm happy with it, so as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Perhaps if I start to stall, I will cut one out a day and see if it makes a difference, but for now, I can't imagine my life without them! LOL They are so easy for the amount of traveling I do!

Last edited by shrinkingsusie; 09-12-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I would also re-evaluate that bar. Calories are high for IP (restricted can go to 200, but for most people they seldom want to go that high.) carbs are also high for restricted (17 is tops; this bar seems Super Restricted 1-2 per week) and a tiny bit low in protein.

Also when posting nutrition for others to comment on, include calories from fat as those should not exceed 30% of total calories) and post fiber so we can see net carbs.

Hopefully someone can quickly post all the nutrition stats you want to follow when choosing alternatives. I am on my cell and don't have them to cut/paste!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkows View Post

Snack - Shake
Why don't you give us the brand names so we can evaluate them more closely?
There may be fiber not accounted for in that bar with the high carbs, for example.
No way egg whites plus the shake. Breakfast is already high on protein.

To the person who said you can't convert protein to fat.
Do some reading on Gluconeogenesis.
This is the process of converting protein to glucose.
As we all well know, Glucose (sugar) can easily be converted to be stored as fat.
In a nutshell, too much protein is NOT recommended.

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-12-2013 at 08:30 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you can find an unflavored microfiltered (also called cold filtered, cold processed or undenatured) whey protein isolate, making your own shakes and packets to fit Ideal Protein guidelines (or any other plan, you'd like to follow) becomes much easier. This type of whey protein isolte dissolves easily and has a very mild flavor, more like milk than heat processed whey protein powders.

Syntrax is one brand that uses this kind of whey protein. Syntrax medical is the unflavored variety.

Depending on the brand, one scoop (30g) has about 110 calories 27g protein, 2.5 g of fat or less, and less than 1g of carbs.

I generally try to make my "packets" fit within IP AND my plan specs, by starting with 20g (67 calories, 18g of protein, and 0-2g fat and 0g carbs). This leaves a little room for sweeteners and other ingredients.

My plan (The Simple Diet) has slightly different guidelines than IP for the meals that would be considered packet analogues: 100-200 cal, 10-26g protein, and 5g max for fat (there are no carb guidelines, although meeting the other guidelines will limit carbs indirectly).

Last edited by kaplods; 09-12-2013 at 08:42 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #15  
Third time's the charm!

Wouldn't it only be converted to glucose and then stored as fat if you are in starvation mode? From what I have read (mostly online, so not sure how accurate the info is) is that if you are eating every 3-4 hours, you just eliminate all of the excess.

If I remember correctly, from the phase 1 sheet, I believe it is recommended for a person of my weight to have 4-5 packets a day, plus my lean protein at dinner, (even though most people just do 3 packets a day regardless of start weight) so perhaps that is why I have had success with the extra protein every day? Because it balances in the end? Something to think about as my weight drops and the recommended number of packets decreases.

I had posted a couple weeks ago in the daily chat, asking about the premier shakes and whether I could divide it into two because of the higher protein and count it as two packets, but didn't get any responses..