Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Wink Everyone had a look of horror as I poured a lot of butter on my shrimp

I was preparing my lunch at work a little bit ago. I had a bowl of shrimp and I was heating up a good amount of butter seasoned with garlic powder to pour over it. People looked horrified LOL! I do not talk about what I eat or what plan I am following anymore because I feel I don't have to justify my choices. I have been discouraged in the past by well meaning coworkers. It's amazing to see how many are calorie counters and how many people think that you NEED carbs such as bread, fruit for energy. I am more energetic following this way of life than any other plan I followed in the past.

I also had a salad with spinach, peppers and a couple tomatoes with olive oil dressing.
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #2  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Calorie counting works for me We all have diet plans that work for us. I am glad that Atkins is working for you, but please do not put down other diet plans.

Thanks a bunch!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/199/130

Height: 5'4

I don't think the poster was putting down other plans simply stating she has been put down for her choices before. At least I didn't take it as a slam against any other plan.
Dolly Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also didn't take it as any kind of slam. While I'm not amazed that calorie counting is so prevalent (I think the least restrictive plan that works for you is best, and for many that is calorie counting).

I am surprised though that so many people assume that grains and other high glycemic and non-fiber carbs are nutritionally necessary, especially for weight loss. I'm not talking about low calorie fruits and veggies.

I'm also constantly surprised at how many people believe there is only one healthy diet for all humans. I don't believe that. In fact, I don't believe there is a single healthy diet even for one individual. I think there are many ways of eating that can be healthy (or unhealthy for that matter).

The trick with weight loss (or other health goals) is finding one (or several) that meets your needs/goals with the least adverse effects in the most convenient and enjoyable way possible.

I find that my needs change depending on various factors, so I switch between plans as necessary. When I'm very active, I want and feel best with a few more carbs than when I'm unable to exercise due to health issue flare. It's taken years of experimenting to find my personal carb "sweet spot" range (and taking even longer to stick to and adjust to staying within that sweet spot (or non-sweet spot, more accurately).

For me though, calorie counting is still a required component, because my hunger often has no off-switch, and I can and have overeaten and stalled on any diet plan, even Atkin's Induction and low rungs on the carb ladder.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I get a lot of horrified looks because I'm eating very low carb (think induction range) and counting calories. I use oils and butter with abandon, and I always eat the fat on my meat. It's great when we find something that works, and unfortunately, everyone forgets that there isn't a one size fits all answer to dieting.

A girl down the hall has lost the exact same amount of weight as I have, to the decimal point. In the same amount of time, give or take about two weeks. She's solely counting calories and I think she said her carbs are around 200g a day, 10X what I take in!

Don't worry about the looks. you've found what works.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #6  

Sum38 - I'm sorry you saw the post as putting down other diet plans. I was not doing that. I was simply stating that many believe that you need carbs to lose weight/have energy when you don't. It takes a different mind set to understand the Atkins approach. I am happy that your plan is working for you! This is what works for me I have done calorie counting in the past and I did lose some weight....but my sugars never stabilized and I always felt hungry while eating every 2-3hrs. Now I go 4+ hours with no hunger.

For health reasons, this is what I have to do for the rest of my life if I do not want to follow in the path of my father. I am already diabetic and have had other health scares which made me rethink my way of living. I will not stay this restrictive for the rest of my life, but until I reach a healthy weight range and am comfortable adding more to my diet, this is best for me.

Good luck to everyone!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

You definitely just need to find what works for you and your body. Some people need carbs, including myself, while others find that they hinder their weight loss.

Congrats on finding something that works for you!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Dragonfly.... I am happy that you have found the way to eat healthy for your body and soul.. (Me too!) and please don't let your friends at work change you or ruffle your feathers. I would hope that they are happy that you are taking control of your health... your way! People have ideas of what is the right or best way and want to tell others what works for them. Its kinda a human thing to help and I hope your colleagues are just trying to do that. ENJOY your food WooHoo.. Your scampi type shrimp sound (deep voice here) goooooodddddddddd
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Sum38 - I don't think that she was putting down other plans either. And this is the Atkins forum.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #10  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Sum38 - I don't think that she was putting down other plans either. And this is the Atkins forum.
Do we have a policy here at 3 FC's that only certain people are allowed to post on certain forums? Mods please help? -- I am sorry if I offended anyone. I was just taken a bit aback that calorie counting was frowned upon. " It's amazing to see how many are calorie counters and how many people think that you NEED carbs such as bread, fruit for energy. " I do not "dish" any diet plans. I salute what ever works for one. Aren't we all here to lose weight? And to support each other?

I am so sorry if I was out of line

Last edited by Sum38; 09-12-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #11  

People here on this forum are going to promote Atkins way of life over calorie counting because it didn't work for them, as the other forums promote whatever plan they are on because that works for those people. I see calorie counting as a negative for ME though it works for others.

I think you misunderstood my post but it was directed at others who are doing the Atkins plan and would understand my frustrations.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
Do we have a policy here at 3 FC's that only certain people are allowed to post on certain forums? Mods please help? -- I am sorry if I offended anyone. I was just taken a bit aback that calorie counting was frowned upon. " It's amazing to see how many are calorie counters and how many people think that you NEED carbs such as bread, fruit for energy. " I do not "dish" any diet plans. I salute what ever works for one. Aren't we all here to lose weight? And to support each other?

I am so sorry if I was out of line

I don't know if it's a written policy, but within the specific plan threads, I have noticed that much more freedom is given when criticizing "other" plans, and far less criticism allowed from "outsiders."

This is as true in the calorie counting threads as in Atkins (perhaps even more so on many topics) as I've personally found more support in the Atkins threads for using calorie counting as a back up than I've found in the calorie counting threads for using exchanges, WW points or other types of less precise calorie counting - or even acknowledgement that those techniques are a legitimate form of calorie counting (which I argue that they are).

Atkins and other non calorie-counting plans are criticized and "bashed" more freely in the calorie counting threads, and posts from Atkins followers (or other plans) promoting their plan or criticizing calorie counting are generally NOT welcome there.

Even Weight Watchers is often bashed in the cc threads, which is sad, because as I've said I believe WW and exchange plans should be considered a type of calorie counting.

Likewise in the wls threads it's more acceptable to say "wls is the only way to go" and less acceptable to tell wls horror stories (unless you have had wls personally and experienced them yourself).

So yes, specific plan threads are an appropriate places to overexaggerate the benefits of that plan ("Yeah Team! We're the Greatest!) And likewise a less inappropriate place to "bash" the other "team" (Boo! Rival Teams, they Suck!)

There are plenty of places on 3FC where people can appropriately discuss and debate the relative merits of their plans, but the plan specific threads aren't it.

Likewise, the MOST appropriate (or least inappropriate) spot to criticize "other" plans is in your own clubhouse, the plan specific threads, where it's least likely to offend outsiders.

Mistakes happen, especially by those of us who search "New Posts" and don't always pay attention to the forum to which a thread belongs. I may not have responded, or my initial response may have been different if I had realized or thought about the fact that I was posting in the Atkins forum. More respect and deference to the plan is required when responding in a "team" thread, especially when you're not a member of the team (and even more so if you've never been a member or oppose the beliefs of the team itself).

Last edited by kaplods; 09-12-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: for clarity and grammar
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #13  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Well put kaplods!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #14  

Great post Kaplods!! I post here with the thinking that only Atkins followers are reading it.

Have a great day, ladies!!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #15  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hi, wow, interesting thread, I was wanting to post that sometimes it's amazing how much other people, especially at work, pay attention to what you're eating. Got a little distracted by the interesting side topic.

I feel sometimes I get a funny look when "caught" eating chips, they don't know I plan for them and it's really none of their concern.

I'm one of those followers of many plans Kaplods talks about, I've tried so many different plans over the years, there's something good in all, you just need to find what parts work for you, I guess I kind of follow what I heard at a meeting many years ago, take what you need and leave the rest. Keep evaluating and adjusting and you'll be successful.

Best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote