Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #1  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Default Transition Clothes

Hey everyone:

I was wondering if anyone has any hot tips for dressing during transition. I'm hoping to pass through a couple of clothing sizes before I am done so I don't want to spend a lot of money as I go along ... but I also want to celebrate how good I look and feel with each smaller size.

Right now I mostly wear loose dresses that I can cinch with a belt ... but that's starting to get a little boring.

Any ideas?
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #2  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

You can always check out thrift shops and consignment stores. I recently turned to them for temporary maternity clothes, and I can't believe all the awesome, like-new clothes I've been able to find for next to nothing. I've also tried on many things I normally wouldn't have bothered with and have found my tastes in fashion changing because of it.

I can't wait to go shopping at these same places once I can start losing again, there are so many cheap options of lovely items, it's just that sometimes you have to dig. It's so much better to spend a little this way when you know your size will be changing than to spend a lot of money for new stuff when you might be down a size a month or so later.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I'm with Elladorine. I was stuck wearing the same clothes after 35 pounds lost due to the fact I was still too big to buy clothes here in Korea. Everything looked super sloppy and I didn't feel like it was work appropriate. And nobody knew how much weight I had lost as everything was so baggy!!!

However a month ago I went home (Canada) and was able to restock my wardrobe by buying a bunch of cheap clothes at second hand places. I'm not done losing weight but I may end up using second hand stores again when I'm back in Canada because I saved at least 90% compared to all the new clothes I bought the previous summer which only lasted a year.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Second hand stores are the way to go. I have been able to get things I would not have tried otherwise.

For me, dresses have lasted the longest. I went through 7 sizes and still don't have a full wardrobe in my size. Use accessories to create a new look. Colored belts scarves and shoes.

If you need night clothing , do night gowns..... I can still wear my larger ones and they look OK.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

YEP! Trift stores are a godsend when in transition! I find I tend to buy a tad snug as within 1-2 weeks, it fits perfectly and will last a wee bit longer.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #6  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Thrift stores and discount factory stores are your best friends during weight loss (or any time).

For pants, you can look for form-fitting pants with adjustable waistlines (ribbon with buttons on the inside: Look like this) or elastic tops (not just for old people!)

For shirts, you can try baggy sweaters since they're in style this fall. Or, try tops with buttons. You can wear them fully open over another shirt until you're able to snap them and wear it as a normal button-up.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #7  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Thrifts, consignment shops, rummage and tag sales and the like.

Leggings or thick textured tights if your legs are not too heavy with tunics long sweaters or mini dresses.

Anything with a collar or tighter neckline. Large open necks (unless they can be layered) get loose too fast. Close necklines can be retained longer.

Anything asymmetrical or funky that looks like it should be worn loose will look better when it is getting too big than something with tailored lines.

If you are skilled with a needle some dresses can be tacked evenly in back to look like it's tailored in and supposed to be there.

Elastic waists and stretch denim are your friends. It doesn't have to be dowdy or old looking. If you are a "tucker" cover the waist with a sash or belt. Personally, it will take a while before I'm ready to define my waistline with belts.

Also zoesmom's trick of advanced buying works if you shrink reliably and evenly and if you get things on the cheap. Some things will be a mistake and will have to be re-donated.

I'm all about the thrifts. I've found Chanel, Dior, Oscar de la Renta, Valentino, YSL, Junya Watanabe, St. John, Burberry and every other major and most minor design houses, artisan and upper end clothing lines at thrifts. I've found amazing vintage pieces and just plain great classic clothing. You can find junk there too, you just have to edit through.

I wish you the best of luck. Frankly this is the fun part of losing weight IMO.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalksalot View Post
Second hand stores are the way to go. I have been able to get things I would not have tried otherwise.

For me, dresses have lasted the longest. I went through 7 sizes and still don't have a full wardrobe in my size. Use accessories to create a new look. Colored belts scarves and shoes.

If you need night clothing , do night gowns..... I can still wear my larger ones and they look OK.
dstalksalot, I noticed your profile says Cali, what thrift stores do you go to? I usually try Goodwill and salvation and the stuff is usually priced around the clearance rack prices at target ($5/shirt etc) or even Ross? I never find clothes that are around $1 or super worthy of buying it second hand if that makes sense?
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #9  
just do it :)

S/C/G: ticker!

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
dstalksalot, I noticed your profile says Cali, what thrift stores do you go to? I usually try Goodwill and salvation and the stuff is usually priced around the clearance rack prices at target ($5/shirt etc) or even Ross? I never find clothes that are around $1 or super worthy of buying it second hand if that makes sense?
I agree that thrift stores are the way to go when you're in between, but ditto this post. I've shopped at these places my whole life and lately stuff is seeming WAY overpriced. I don't get it when people talk about getting, for example, five shirts, two dresses, jeans and a pair of shoes for $20 - even shopping deals I never come close to that!
lanabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabug View Post
I agree that thrift stores are the way to go when you're in between, but ditto this post. I've shopped at these places my whole life and lately stuff is seeming WAY overpriced. I don't get it when people talk about getting, for example, five shirts, two dresses, jeans and a pair of shoes for $20 - even shopping deals I never come close to that!
The trick is color days or quarter bag days
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #11  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

I tend not to get too worried about price unless day dresses are tagged over $20, coats over $30, pants and tops over $10. These are usually for better and best brands. IMO thrifts way over value/price merch with tags regardless of age, appeal, condition. I tend to stay away from those unless it's a real steal compared to retail.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #12  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

In my experience, resale shops (where clothes are on consignment) are more pricey than thrift stores (where clothing is donated). I usually shop at Goodwill and I haven't paid over $10 for an article of clothing in over a year (except bras and underwear that I purchased new). Shirts are usually $5 or $6, depending on sleeve length. Skirts and Slacks are $6 and dresses are $10. Most of the things I have purchased still have the store tags on them, or I could tell that they had never been machine washed. Practically new!

At my local plus size resale shop, clothing starts about $19.95, and they're worth the price, but I'd rather search Goodwill for better bargains. The resale shop figures in the cost of keeping a nice store organized by size and type of clothing and friendly store personnel. They have a lot of overhead - I get it, but I like the thrill of the hunt!

I've found a wonderful wardrobe of Chicos, Talbots, NY & Co, Anne Klein and other similar brands at Goodwill. This summer, I noticed that I had a lot of solid blacks and patterns with blacks. Things mix and match well, but I searched for some colors this summer to liven things up. I also find accessories at Goodwill. It's hit and miss, but keep on looking. I may never pay retail again!

Last edited by AwShucks; 09-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I've been through 6 sizes and have gotten most of my clothes at outlet stores, deeply discounted on clearance racks (think additional 50% off already reduced clearance prices), and from hand-me-downs from a well dressed friend.

Looking back, I held out in getting smaller clothes too long. I continued wearing my size 14's until I was a 10. I felt so much better about my progress once I started wearing clothes that fit. Other people started to notice my loss then too. So motivating! And I now love clothes shopping.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #14  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Thanks so much for all the help! I used to thrift a lot when I was younger and had to stop when I gained weight because it was hard to find larger sizes ... I guess it makes sense that times have changed.

Which is great, because I need some pants that aren't drawstring sweats.
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #15  
05/01/2023

S/C/G: 232.6/232.6/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabug View Post
My brother works at Goodwill and his job is to sort the stuff that gets donated. He told me that the designer clothes, clothes with tags and clothes that look like they have never been worn are sent to the Goodwill eBay department and sold on eBay. Of course, not all Goodwills do this but ours does. I've never been able to find anything there for under $15 and the clothes look well worn. I can get new clothes for a lower price at Kohl's and Target.
AllyG47 is offline   Reply With Quote