Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/185/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Best Day of Week to start IP Diet? Have weigh-ins?

Hi everyone!

In T-minus 4 weeks, I am going to start IP- have to wean my baby first. I must be the only woman on the planet that gains weight while nursing, but that's besides the point.

I've heard from so many people that the first few days of IP are rough. I really really REALLY want to succeed at this - and want to plan ahead of time for the first few days of difficulty before ketosis kicks in. So, can you IPers give me advice on which is the best day to start? Is Monday the best, so you have a fresh start to a new week? Is Friday the best, so you have the weekend to go into survival mode? Mid-week?
Thanks
Redonkulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Relax and don't over analyze this. Yes, it can be a little rough with headaches and a little stomach discomfort. But drinking lots of water and being sure to get your salt in will help.

If you work, you may want to start on a Thurs as days 3-4 are when most feel the symptoms and that would be over a weekend when you can relax more.

Also with so much time before you start, you might find it helpful to slowly "wean" yourself down on carb in take. Less bread, potatoes, pasta, etc. and also increase your veggie amounts.

Best thing of all you can do before you start is to READ READ READ this forum. Take notes, suck in all the energy and wisdom of those further on in this journey. Look at recipe threads and have a few ready to try. Prepare your cupboards and fridge by weeding out foods you will not be eating. Oh, and DRINK more and more water each day to ensure you are hydrated!

You SO got this!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

I don't think it matters when you start, just that you stick with it.

I started on a Thursday because I'd heard the first few days were really tough and I wanted the weekend to feel work through it without being in the office. I think this was a good call because it gave me time to figure out how to eat the packets, to discipline myself to stick to the plan sizes and to nap. If you have a baby, maybe make sure someone else is around when you start for moral support.

It was tough, but by Tuesday I had all my energy back and was feeling fantastic. It did take a while to get used to the IP products texture, but now I'm happily munching on IP Crispy Cereal Zucchini pancakes. (I waited until week 2 to start doctoring up the packets. So glad I did).

Best of luck and be open about what you are doing. It is tough, it is a lot of work and while this forum is fantastic, I am so glad that my family is supportive and knows what I'm working towards.

You can do it!
berteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

One more thing to look for:
You will PEE more than you ever thought possible!

I discounted that before I started, but it took a few weeks for my body to get used to it, but that too will pass. And I now know where all the bathrooms are in a 5 block radius.
berteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #5  
Started IP 4/5/2012

S/C/G: 200/190.1/140

Height: 5'7.5

Great advise from the girls here! Funny about the Potties too lol.... How true! Good luck, you'll do great!
cass2ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/189/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonkulous View Post
Hi everyone!

In T-minus 4 weeks, I am going to start IP- have to wean my baby first. I must be the only woman on the planet that gains weight while nursing, but that's besides the point.

I've heard from so many people that the first few days of IP are rough. I really really REALLY want to succeed at this - and want to plan ahead of time for the first few days of difficulty before ketosis kicks in. So, can you IPers give me advice on which is the best day to start? Is Monday the best, so you have a fresh start to a new week? Is Friday the best, so you have the weekend to go into survival mode? Mid-week?
Thanks
You will do great! I liked starting on Friday so I had the freedom to really get into the mode before I had to manage IP at work. I sontinue to like Friday weigh ins because it sends me into the weekend super motivated to keep going, and the weekend has the most challenges to staying on plan.

Congrats and good luck!
megjohnsonnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #7  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

The first time I started on a Monday, and had planned it out because I wanted the weekend to get organized and shop, etc. This time, I started on a Thursday. I decided the night before that I was ready, and going to do this, and didn't want to give myself any time to lose that motivation. So the next morning, I was right back on and felt great. I also tried re-starting so many times, and had planned my Monday start. Not sure if just starting right then and there is what made me stick to it this time! Good luck!! IP is awesome and you will love your results!!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #8  

"Best day" is kind of like when is the best time to exercise...
When you'll DO it!

Best time to start IP is when you're well-planned. I planned at least a month-out (might have been more like 6 weeks when I first started getting the IP bug). I set a date & just did it.

I was already lower carb than the standard american diet and I think it helped me through the first week easier. You got good advice on cutting back now.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/175/155

Height: 5'8"

Default Need some ideas

Day 4 - Super tired today.
Really not liking the savory IP packets. Can someone share with me what your day of meals looks like? I would prefer not to eat in some cases.
My coach sent me home with a week of meals and menus - no options. she had it prepacked and sent me out the door. That means by Thursday this week I will need to reload my supplies. If you can share what you like best of the packets, sweet or savory and share how a couple of your daily menus look like, I'd really benefit.
fignewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #10  
IP Restart Date: 1/6/14

S/C/G: 257.4/195.6/197

Height: 5'8"

Default Menu Ideas

I have been on this diet for 10 weeks now here is a glimpse at my menu for today
B-fine/herb and cheese omelet (but I just scrambled them, not good at omelets)
L-pasta salad made with plain rotini and 1.5 cups mixed diced raw veggies (cucumber, green bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, broccoli) mixed with WF Italian dressing
D-hamburger steak (93/7 lean ground beef) with rutabaga fries and pickle spears
S-strawberry wafer or chocolate brownie

Hope this helps

Last edited by tbc85; 09-10-2013 at 01:56 PM.
tbc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #11  

thank you everyone for the encouragement and great advice! I never thought to gradually wean off of carbohydrates before I start IP - but anything to help with that transition, I'm all for that.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignewton View Post
Day 4 - Super tired today.
Really not liking the savory IP packets. Can someone share with me what your day of meals looks like? I would prefer not to eat in some cases.
My coach sent me home with a week of meals and menus - no options. she had it prepacked and sent me out the door. That means by Thursday this week I will need to reload my supplies. If you can share what you like best of the packets, sweet or savory and share how a couple of your daily menus look like, I'd really benefit.
Just go through the thread "What are you eating today IPeeps" and you will see oodles of daily menus. (Some are using alternative products, but many are IP packets/drinks/bars as well as veggie selections and combinations of every kind.

Also note that for more general IP questions like this one, you will get a lot of feedback on the daily thread.

Last edited by JLUS; 09-11-2013 at 07:21 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #13  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Hi @Redonkulous - It was suggested to me to start on a Wednesday. Everyone is different but I was so tired on days 4 and 5 so it was really nice to be home. Definitely carve out some time and get yourself psyched up for this program because, it definitely works! Everyone here is so motivating and the weight just melts off so long as you follow protocol. Try not to think about it too much so you don't psych yourself out - YOU CAN DO THIS!
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #14  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Ps. As far as WI's - the earlier the better. Go before you eat breakfast and come home and enjoy b-fast with coffee and tea. I go on Saturday AM's at 9:00AM (8:20 spot is always taken). My first WI was on a Wednesday night which I do not suggest.
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #15  

@lisa32989 - I've definitely caught the IP bug. I'm so excited! KareVT good advice. There's a fine line between getting psyched and getting psyched out lol My SIL did this diet and her weight just melted off. And she has maintained - definitely encouraging for me. My poor pancreas has been sending out on SOS for a long time now - an endless cycle of sugar binges, tired, exhausted, hungry all the time. As Dr. Tran says, time to reset the furnace!