Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default If you think you can't, then read this...

The fair is in town and I took my kid this year, just like I have every year since she was born. I want to stress something first. Last year, I had just gotten out of the hospital after finding myself a hair's width from death. I had been told to file disability and told in not so many words to expect no quality of life. I was told I would likely always have an O2 tank near me and my mobility would be limited. And what I was told was very accurate, at the time. Let's just say that the then 29 year old me did not want to hear what they said and decided to prove them all wrong.

I just want to compare the differences a year makes. So next time you think you can't remember, you shape your future, no one else.

Last year:
It took me 45 minutes to get up 200 stairs that lead from the parking lot to the actual fair grounds. Since I refused to have a disability tag, I could not park in the disability zone that would have made life a lot easier. I was dragging around an O2 tank and found myself unable to do anything but sit at a table and cry as strangers took my child on various rides for me. Even though I was "dieting" at that time, I ate 2 footlong hand dipped corn dogs, a huge thing of cheese bacon fries, a funnel cake, and four soda pops. I was only able to get on one ride with my child, and never was able to actually ride it as the operator told me I was too big and he couldn't close the bar. Probably for the best because I needed my oxygen and didn't have it on at the time. I bought 5 blocks of fudge with the intent to share, but ended up eating all of it by myself. I had a caramel apple and half a bag of cotton candy. We stayed 90 minutes before I was wore out and had to leave. I never made it home that night...I had to stop at my mom's because I had no energy. Last year, I didn't think I would ever be able to do the things I wanted to do and I just knew that this was the beginning of a miserable life.

This year:
I RAN up those 200 steps and didn't break a sweat or run out of breath. I took my child on EVERY ride there and could fit in EVERY LAST ONE WITH EASE! I noticed I was more active than most of the other people there, who were sitting! Last year, it had seemed more moved than sat, but I highly doubt that now that I could see it on this side of things. I ate bad...but I only had one REGULAR sized corndog, a regular sized order of bacon cheese fries, only ONE bite of a funnel cake my friend had purchased, and SEVEN waters! I bought ONE block of fudge and split it between my daughter, her best friend, and my nephew after I had taken only one small nibble. I bought SIX apples...but there were NOT caramel apples. Just plain apples. And they were for lunches through the week, not for right then. We stayed for five hours and I wore my kid out, I could have kept going! No cotton candy was bought. This year, I realized I may have a long way to go, but I am healthier now than what I have been in a decade...BRING ON THE OBSTACLES OF WEIGHT LOSS! I GOT THIS!

Last edited by zoesmom; 09-09-2013 at 09:34 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #2  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

That is awesome!

I can totally relate to your story. I had a similar experience with Knott's Berry Farm in January.

Congrats and I look foward to hearing more about your journey!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #3  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

What a motivating story.

Apparently the fair is a common theme right now. Several of us have posted about our fairs. IMO you did the right thing. You worked within the situation of an outing in a sustainable way.

I wish you every success.

Cathy
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #4  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

You are just amazing!

I am happy to hear that you are living your life. I am happy to hear that your DD has her mom "back". -- This story brought tears in my eyes.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I just sat here in tears reading this, emotional day I guess.
Congrats to you! What an inspiration you are!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #6  
Snooze

S/C/G: 220/218/150

Height: 5ft 7in

What a great story & good on you for acheiving everything you have so far. Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration
Snoooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #7  
DFTBA

Height: 160cm

That is amazing! well done!
Thanks for posting!
Emula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

WOW! So happy for you and thankful that you did something about your situation as opposed to just giving in to the predictions. Great story and thanks so much for sharing.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140

Height: 5'1

Thank you for sharing...it's very moving and is helping me to stay motivated! Keep up the good work!
KYgirlinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #10  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Super congrats!!!!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

This year:
I RAN up those 200 steps and didn't break a sweat or run out of breath. I took my child on EVERY ride there and could fit in EVERY LAST ONE WITH EASE! I noticed I was more active than most of the other people there, who were sitting!

...had me in tears! I'm so happy for you, hugs and blessings to you. What a beautiful inspiration you are!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/172/150

Height: 5'2"

awesome.....and so so inspiring!!! Hats off to u for not giving up...it sure must have been tough to decide to fight all the odds and get where u r today, but sure is worth it, isn't it.
I bow down to u....
iamritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #13  
Started IP 4/5/2012

S/C/G: 200/190.1/140

Height: 5'7.5

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.
cass2ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Ladies - Thanks for your words It's nice knowing where I was compared to where I currently am, knowing I still have a ways to go but that is IS possible. Had anyone told me it could be done, I would have cried and called them a liar. but now, I KNOW I can go the distance, it just takes will power, drive, and determination.

Let me ask you, where were you a year ago...and where are you now?
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Well, that is just a fantastic post, LOVE IT! So inspiring reading about the tangible changes that make every day life SO MUCH BETTER!

YAY YOU!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote