Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #1  

Unhappy Got Sad In The Snack Aisle, Started My Diet

I'm a fatchick . This is my first day on my diet. I did 20 minutes of the Richard Simmons work out this morning and ate a healthy meal. Now I'm about to do another 20 minutes. I have A LOT of pounds to lose and I know it's going to be hard because I love food more than I love some of the humans that I know.

I went to the grocery store this morning to buy healthy food and I walked down the snack aisle. I stood there and stared at the snacks. It was weird. Felt like I was saying goodbye to friend or something Food addiction is no joke.

I'm tired of my thighs rubbing together and feeling like a fire is about to start between my legs when it's hot outside. I'm short and have way too much weight on me and have hypertension. I'm on two medications for my blood pressure and have been hospitalized twice because of it. My family NEVER ate healthy. So I can only imagine how hard this is going to be for me. For the first time in my life, no cupcakes, no chips, no Mountain Dew etc..

Good luck to you all with the weight loss. I'm a little depressed, but I'm ready to this! I have no choice but to do this to get healthy and to save my life.
MissBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Welcome. Whatever you do, don't quit. Don't stop coming here to post, and don't hide it if you fall off the wagon temporarily! Pretty much everyone falls off the wagon once in awhile, don't let that take you off the rails permanently!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hi there, welcome! It is hard, but you CAN do this! Good job getting a healthy start today, today is the first day of the rest of your life!

Will there be challenges? Yes, but also REWARDS!

Will there be days you want to pull your hair out? Yes, but also days you will feel better than you ever have before!

YOU CAN DO THIS! And you *WANT* to do this. Right now it is hard to imagine things you will enjoy as much as cupcakes and 'Dew, but you will find those things and they will make you feel good both inside and out! Hang in there and post often!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #4  

The snack aisle can be a scary place, it's true! Way to go be motivated and improve your health!
mojorestoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #5  
Badass Brokeleg Bunny

S/C/G: 239.2/199.8/170

Good luck! Once you are past the detox phase (which can take a while) those snacks will look completely alien and unappealing, I promise.

You're going to do great!
tefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #6  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

I agree with tefrey. I used to be all about the chips and I could/would finish a bag once it was open (even the "family" Ha! sizes) and I never met a cupcake, brownie or cookie that I didn't like but I feel no need or desire to have them now. It's a minor miracle.

BTW, never tell yourself never or the thought will plague you and lead to old habits. Tell yourself, "Just for now I'm not having X,Y,Z." In the future you might very well be able to have those things on rare occasions in very moderate portions but you may very well not want them at all.

Best of luck to you. I know what you are dealing with.

Cathy
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #7  

i'm new here too so welcome

please message me if you want someone to talk to, i know what its like to be addicted to things that are bad for you like before i used to spend like 12 plus hours a day playing video games and for me one of the biggest things to get rid off is soda drinks, i find myself unable to really relax unless im drowning it in with some junk food
London94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #8  

I almost cried just now after reading these comments. Thank you so much, everyone. I had to log on here again today for support because (I hate to admit this) I just woke up from a nap and the first thing I thought of when I got up was going to the kitchen to grab one of those unhealthy snacks. Then I remembered, those snacks are in the garbage outside. My next feeling was anger. I'm a little angry that I let my self get this bad with high blood pressure and edema.

I weigh 265 pounds. That was hard to type.

I didn't do another 20 minute workout earlier because after logging off, I felt a little overwhelmed thinking about the change that I had just made, eating healthy for the first time in my life, and needed to rest. This first day is so hard and draining, but I will get through it thanks to all of you on this forum. I can't wait to read more of your stories on here.

London94, if you want to talk, I'm here for you too. I really mean that. We all need this support.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck ! You will be surprised to find that there are many, delicious, tasty, healthy foods that will work on your diet.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

Best wishes to you!!!
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #11  

hey you shouldnt be so angry with yourself, as your making a change now which is the important thing i am trying to sort out an exercise plan and routine from tomorrow as i find if i dont have a routine then ill be back to eating like a pig again and drinking to much

well done for being brave enough to post your weight i know what thats like as im ashamed of my weight also i am 246 pounds and last year i was only 210
London94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by London94 View Post
hey you shouldnt be so angry with yourself, as your making a change now which is the important thing i am trying to sort out an exercise plan and routine from tomorrow as i find if i dont have a routine then ill be back to eating like a pig again and drinking to much

well done for being brave enough to post your weight i know what thats like as im ashamed of my weight also i am 246 pounds and last year i was only 210
Thanks everyone! I'm ready, I can do it

London94, the only plan that I have is to drink a lot of water, eat baked tilapia fish, veggies, fruit, oatmeal, and do a quick workout everyday for no less than 20 minutes. I found a great workout for beginners online this morning but I couldn't make it through the whole video, only did 20 minutes. I read that a 20 minute workout everyday is great. For a great workout, go to youtube and type "Aerobics with Richard Simmons and the Silver Foxes, 1986". I bookmarked the video and I'm about to do another 20 minutes. I'm only going to do aerobics for 20 minutes a day, maybe twice a day, and not push myself too hard. Especially since I know that changing my eating habits is the most important thing for weight loss. I'm going to do another quick workout now! Please find the video, bookmark it, and do it for a few minutes a day, London94. It's free, and it's a great start for all of us newbies!

Last edited by MissBrown; 09-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

It is easier once you get in the habit of avoiding the snack aisle altogether and shop the outside aisles of most stores.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #14  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

So true! We shop the perimeter, rarely going down the aisles where most of the processed food and junk lives.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #15  

Height: 5'2"

Food addiction is a real addiction! Your brain has been altered, and those fatty, sugary fake non-foods will light up your pleasure and reward centers like you wouldn't believe. But the good news is....it gets better. So much better.

I know you've heard the saying "No food tastes as good as healthy feels" or a variation on that theme. And it's TRUE! I've repeated it to myself so many times, but one day you will wake up and you will know it and believe it in a way that you can't comprehend right now.

Make sure you're eating enough healthy food, and keep your eye on the prize. There are as many different weight loss stragegies as there are people trying to lose weight. Some people find it helpful to build in planned indulgences. That way, you can have the cupcake, or soda, or whatever it is you want but you can make it fit into your plan. I do highly recommend abstaining from all junk food for a couple of weeks though; once you've broken the habits, you'd be surprised how much of that stuff doesn't taste nearly as good as you thought you remembered.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote