Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #1  

Default IP Weekend Chat. Sat 9/7 - Sun 9/8/2013

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on plan

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads,
and here are the most recent Ideal Protein Protocol sheets

And before you cheat, read this thread:
The Real Cost of Cheating on Ideal Protein

Before starting new threads: spend some time reading the forum. Most new threads are duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates. Folks who are the most successful, make time for research/reading.

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4
Tips and Recipes from the Incredible Weight Loss Center

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos
Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #2  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

I woke up this morning, day 25 on IP, and weighed at home and I'm down about 14 pounds in about 3.5 weeks. That's just crazy. I'm almost afraid I will wake up again and find it is a dream.

Real weigh in at the clinic in about an hour. They do the fat/lean loss test so that will be interesting.

Lisa you are so diligent starting these threads and responding to questions. And, you inspire with your OP behavior tips and tricks. You rock!

Happy Saturday all!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #3  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
I woke up this morning, day 25 on IP, and weighed at home and I'm down about 14 pounds in about 3.5 weeks. That's just crazy. I'm almost afraid I will wake up again and find it is a dream.

Real weigh in at the clinic in about an hour. They do the fat/lean loss test so that will be interesting.

Lisa you are so diligent starting these threads and responding to questions. And, you inspire with your OP behavior tips and tricks. You rock!

Happy Saturday all!
Awesome job! Hope your weight at the clinic matches home! (I can't weigh at home while on IP - I know it will sabotage me if I don't see what I expect! - old pattern).

Lisa, I agree! It's nice to log in in the morning and see the thread started for the day. Thanks for that, and for sharing your expertise so freely.

Have a WONDERFUL Saturday, everyone!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #4  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

Someone recently asked if they are not hungry, if they can just skip the 3rd IP packet for the day. I attended a session yesterday with the MD head of the program speaking and he addressed this. He said, in every case, you should ALWAYS get that third packet in. The reason? The body will first use available carbs for energy, then go on to use protein and fat stores. Since there are limited carbs available on IP, the protein and fat stores are used instead. If there is not enough protein intake, the body will break down lean muscle along with fat for it's energy needs. If you supply the body with adequate protein (the 3 IP packets and 6-8 oz of protein serving), it will not break down lean muscle, and instead use more fat. So, taking in the prescribed amount of protein will protect your muscle mass from being broken down and promote fat burning for energy! So, be sure to get all of your IP packets and protein allowance in, you'll be doing yourself a favor!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #5  

Recently I keep seeing 6-8 oz protein (various people, various threads)
Am I missing something?
The protocol says 8 oz.

Is this just another House Rule at certain clinics?

There have been various protocols over the last few years & I think some coaches take the parts they like best (lowering protein at dinner, restricting restricteds further, for example) instead of keeping up and keeping IP uniform.

I completely understand the need to tweak for individual dieters as time goes by but it sure seems like we are all told wayyy different things.

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-07-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #6  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Am I missing something?
The protocol says 8 oz.
Hmmm. That's what my coach told me. I thought maybe it was the difference between if you were a larger man vs a smaller woman, for what your portion would be. I will ask at my next visit for clarification.

But the point is -- don't skip any IP Packets - even if you don't feel hungry!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

Lisa (and others you responded to me last week) I wanted to thank you for telling me to get my thyroid tested. I was not loosing weight but I was 100% OP. While my thyroid is fine the doctor did find an underlining issue that has since been corrected. I may have not gone to the doctor if you guys had not mentioned it. So thanks!!!!

Hope everyone has a great OP weekend!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/119.8/125 r/b 136/136/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Am I missing something?
The protocol says 8 oz.
The protocol does say 8 oz. My coach said I could break it up during the day & have 3 oz for lunch & 5 at dinner, but to make sure there are 8 oz. of protein each day. This past week she said that the 8 oz. is a minimum...does that mean I can eat more lean protein each day or stick with the 8 oz per day during phase 1?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #9  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

My clinic is firm on the 8 oz of protein.

Weigh in went great - which is a fun way to start the weekend. Actual fat loss -they have the scale thing that measures - was 7.3 pounds this week! Wow. This IP lifestyle is amazing. Especially since all this progress is happening and I generally don't feel deprived/hungry.

They are having me add the detox pills starting this coming week. I didn't really know there was a 'detox' more than the food changes on IP but I'm game to try it.

W1: -2.4
W2: -4.4
W3: -6.2 (this is about 3.5 weeks on plan)
Total: -13
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #10  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Great work, Vachinyc! You are on your way!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #11  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

Quote:
Am I missing something?
The protocol says 8 oz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkids View Post
The protocol does say 8 oz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
My clinic is firm on the 8 oz of protein.
That's all the convincing I need! "Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth" LOL! 8 oz it is! Cool!

Last edited by slownsteady; 09-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #12  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Am I missing something?
The protocol says 8 oz.

There have been various protocols over the last few years & I think some coaches take the parts they like best (lowering protein at dinner, restricting restricteds further, for example) instead of keeping up and keeping IP uniform.

I completely understand the need to tweak for individual dieters as time goes by but it sure seems like we are all told wayyy different things.
My coach told me it was fine to cut down to 6 oz when I was having issues eating a full 8 oz of some proteins at dinner. She told me the protein needs for a woman 5'2 is different than, for example, a man who is 6'5 (which would be my boss who lost 120 lbs on IP). She said as long as I'm between 6 & 8 oz I'm fine. She's been right on everything else, so I tend to believe her. I'm lucky - I have an outstanding coach!

She used the fancy scale last week that shows lean mass, etc., etc. (which I know aren't terribly accurate) and I forget what the exact number was but she said I was doing great.

I'm not advocating anyone cutting down on protein - this is just what works for me based on my coach's advice.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #13  
Started IP 8/22/13

S/C/G: 258/191/175

Quote:
Am I missing something?
The protocol says 8 oz.

I was talking with my coach about this very subject this week at my WI. As I've mentioned before, I am really lucky because my coach and the clinic I go to are GREAT! They focus on the science of the program, and make the goal to lower your body fat, not hit a certain weight. They have the scale that (in my lingo), shoots laser beams up your butt to determine how much of your body is fat, muscle, water, etc. So this week even though I only lost 3.6 lbs overall, I lost 5 lbs. of fat, which is very motivating!

Anyway, she said that unfortunately a lot of doctors will see that the program works so they decide they want to start selling it, so they put one of their employees in charge of the program and they don't necessarily understand the science, maybe they've never had a weight issue so they totally can't relate, etc. She cautioned me about believing things I read on here, and told me to run things past her before I try them.

It's really too bad. If we put our heart and soul (and money!) into this program, we all deserve the best advice possible.

Well, that's my rant for today! Now I'm off to buy meat and veggies . . . and beads! :-)

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #14  
Started IP 8/22/13

S/C/G: 258/191/175

Oh, and my coach says it's 8 oz of protein UNCOOKED, so it shrinks to 5 or so when cooked.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #15  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

I'm going to a 'crab feed' tonight. Fresh, steamed crab legs, potatoes, corn on the cob steamed in a pot, asparagus side, salad. I am prepared to have just the crab and asparagus and salad, but I want to bring something to share with all. Ideas what might go good with this, yet be IP appropriate?

Last edited by slownsteady; 09-07-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Closed Thread