Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default September Chat

New month and new week! September always feels like the start of a year. I guess that's from being a student for so land and then a teacher after that.

No, I still have not gone for bloodwork but do still have the requisition. The problem is that I really don't want to drive the the lab (40 minutes away) on an empty stomach and low morning FBGL. I am going to give the clinic nurse another try since Darlene is now back from vacation. The clinic is just a ten minute drive. I really don't want to see the results because I'm sure my HA1C is up. I am such a baby and nearly 3/4 of a century old!

This month is going to be a good one with fun things planned for every weekend right up to Thanksgiving weekend in October. I am going to try very hard to balance work and fun. It'll help that the Mill is closed for tours after this weekend and the Cafe closes today.

I'm planning to do a beer can chicken for dinner tonight which will give me some yummy leftovers. There are lots of veggies available so I should be able to stick to my South Beach plan. Since it's going to be a tad cooler this month, I may get into roasting Brussels sprouts although I've not yet seen any around. I used to hate the things but just adore them now. Who knew?

Time for my morning smoothie - almond milk, spinach and a peach today.

Happy September Sunday!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just a quick flyby to say hello to September. I'm not changing ticker but I am at a new low on this new month that I haven't seen in so long 232.6 YAY!!! Got my plan that I love and all is wonderful.

Ruthie I think once you have the blood work behind you that you will find it easier to move on with the plan that you know works for you. I think it is all the stress that is causing you the difficulty. I know it sure has helped me to get the stress down in my life. I notice Mad is having a lot of stress lately too which may be causing her problems too. Once the kids moved, I got stressed out just with knowing had to get the eating and the blood work right. Now that I understand that, I take time to relax even if it is only for a few minutes each day and it helps. Praying for you both to get the stress in your life calmed down. Y'all have hung in there for me so many times. I hope y'all get past this set back y'all are going through too. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #3  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Ruth I hope you get your bloodwork done soon. I need to have mine done also.

Trish congrats on the new low and thanks for the reply.

my fbs is finally lowering, though it's still not great, it's not in the 200's for the second day.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #4  

Although the RM/carby breakfast was allowed and OP, I will never eat biscuits and gravy in a restaurant again. I'm thinking it must have had MSG in it. My day has been horrible.... feeling lethargic, sleepy and hungry all day. If I would allow myself, I could eat everything in site. Boy, it is a real eye opener.

I decided to share this for 2 reasons.

1. I need the accountability because I've already been off plan with 2 carby meals today and hope that by confessing it that it will help me to get right back on plan for the rest of today. (Don't plan to eat any more today hoping by fasting that this will flush out of my system.) I'm so glad that in the Stress Eating Cure book the Heller's talked about this happening. They say if you feel this way after eating something especially in a restaurant that it is a pretty good sign that MSG was in your food and the only thing they have found to do at this point is to drink loads of water to flush it out which is EXACTLY what I am doing along with the fast. Fast will just last until my breakfast or 1st meal tomorrow.

2. In case any one else who is new here experiences such a thing they will know that it happens and why. (This can help on any plan, but I think we low carbers feel it more.) There was a time I would have thought the plan didn't work for me and quit. I'm thankful so for having read the Stress Easting Cure because now I know what is going on and not to quit because this doesn't mean that I did anything wrong or that the diet doesn't work. It just means that there was something in my food that triggered the way I feel. In this case, I'm thankful that I know what I ate different. I have never ordered gravy at breakfast. Never been a biscuit and gravy eater and for some reason it just sounded good today. This is a restaurant where we eat every Sunday after church. I have eaten their other gravies at regular meals and never felt this way. So I know it had something to do with either the combo or what was in either the biscuit which tasted and looked like homemade or the gravy. I know one thing NOTHING IS WORTH a day feeling like this.

Now I just have to drink loads of water, stop eating for the rest of the day and ride it out to get rid of these feelings and not allow it to totally derail me. I am thankful for the lesson learned. We don't always know what we are getting when we eat in restaurants and so grateful to the Heller's for spending so much time on this subject in their book because I know that the struggle will pass and tomorrow, I will feel better and even with the fast... I'm back OP now. No real damage done.

Hope this will helpful to others as it has been to me.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
my fbs is finally lowering, though it's still not great, it's not in the 200's for the second day.
That is great Rennie. Just hang in there. My FBS is still high, but it isn't in the 200s any more. Sometimes my readings are all over the place and I think that is for several reasons.

1. My diabetes is weight relate nothing else. I've always been blessed with the fact that if I get my weight down below 200, it normalizes.
2. The time of day when I test it. Example, I know that if I wake up early and don't get at least 7 hrs of sleep, it will be higher than when I get a good nights sleep.

It has taken me a long time to find out what works for me. I've read a lot and I've tested myself a lot. My first doctor who diagnosed me the 1st time I dealt with this and got control new my family. I remember him telling me. I really can't tell you what diet to follow. You will find that out on your own and you work it out. I did and it wasn't until I stopped working at it that it got out of control again. I've never had readings over 200 more than about 2 or 3 times. I have never allowed it to go that high. The doctor I have now who diagnosed me this time told me. "We usually don't tell people this but we doctors have learned that any diet will work. You just have to find what you can live with." He went on to say "I can tell who works at it and who doesn't". He knows I'm working at it and he is probably my Best cheerleader on the way. He has never fussed at me. He always encourages me. I feel like he is in my corner and he never gives up on me and that helps me to NOT give up on me either.

Just KOKO. I hope you and Ruthie will get those blood tests done. No matter how they turn out, they give you the info you need. I have copies of everyone of mine since I started going to this doctor about 3 or 4 yrs ago. Although I can't tell you what all of the tests mean, I know which ones are the most important for my health. I read in a diabetic book in the beginning how important it is to keep up with these things myself and not to just leave it to a doctor. It works better if we take charge of it ourselves.
One of the main things I've learned is not to reach for PERFECTION because no one is perfect. CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish - I hope you feel better after your episode with the sausage gravy. I have had that a few times at a restaurant, but it is at a buffet, and I can control how much of the gravy I use. It is definately not something I eat all the time. On Wednesday's, the breakfast buffet is only $4.99 for seniors, so we take advantage of that every few months.

Today, we had our last cook-out of the summer and I made potato salad. I intended to just eat a small portion, but it was so good I over did it. The leftovers will go home with my step-daughter. I have to get it out of the house.

Yesterday, we went to my step-son's for dinner. They eat completely different than we do. They cook almost all their meat on the grill, even in the winter. They have a covered porch and can grill in the winter, except on days when it's really bitter cold. They seldom eat any potatoes, rice or pasta. They had a big salad with lots of fresh veggies and corn on the cob. I know that corn is a starch, but I ate some anyway. I was wondering what my husband was going to do since they had no potatoes, but he was ok with it. He survived! LOL They also only had oil and vinegar dressing and fat free balsalmic vinegrette. My husband like thick, creamy ranch dressing. But he had some vinegrette, and was fine with it. He didn't even stop at McDonald's on the way home for french fries. LOL Every time they invite us over for dinner I cringe a little bit because my husband is such a picky eater and I know they tend to eat very healthy. But it's his son, so he goes along with it. When they come to our house, I cook what my husband likes. I try to have things they like too, to even things out. They have never complained.

I never thought about sleep problems causing BG to be higher. I never get a good night's sleep. I don't want to take meds for sleep, and I fall asleep in a matter of minutes. I just can't stay asleep, and once I wake up, it's almost impossible to fall back to sleep again. I am going to try staying up later to see if that will help me sleep longer. Sleep is supposed to be important for weight loss, too.

Ruthie
- I love brussel sprouts. I buy frozen ones. I don't buy too many fresh veggies because the two of us don't eat enough of them and they go bad. They say that frozen are close to fresh in nutritional value.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #7  

OMG. My husband is playing Christmas Carols on his keyboard! He's rushing it, don't ya thing????
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #8  

Well someone on the CAD/CALP site I'm on said that I probably didn't eat enough protein. They said that the Breakfast Balance is supposed idea the give came from someone else they researched and you are supposed to eat 7 oz of protein on it. It is difficult for me to balance the breakfast, however, I do know from experience that I can eat what I had with toast without any problems. So I just will never do the biscuits and gravy again. Just not worth it. However, I like eating a low carb breakfast and then eat my carbs later in the day. This is what I have started doing since I read how important it is to eat the breakfast. I may just continue doing that on Sunday as well. I can eat some starchy carbs, but not loads of them.

The off eating yesterday didn't derail me after all. My weight was down .6 lbs this morning. Needless to say this is working for me and I'm staying with the plan. I expect to have a really good weight loss when I go see the doc again and of course that will help improve my blood work numbers as well.

I understand completely how your DH is. Mine is the same way. If I ever tried to feed him what his daughter cooks, he would never touch it. However, he never says a word at her house or when she lived with us and cooked. In fact, she and I like some of the same types of healthy foods so I always enjoyed when she cooked.

Yep, I think he is pushing the Christmas music. My DH plays the keyboard too, but I haven't heard the Christmas music yet. haha
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #9  

Trish, I agree with you that you are eating a healthy diet, and it's working for you. That's all that's important IMO. There is contraversy about eating more protein. I read on another diabetes board that you should eat small portions of protein because excess protein will be turned into glucose. Everybody has their own ideas. If this is working for you, stick with it.

I was not hungry this morning but my husband made french toast and made scrambled eggs for me with the left over egg mixture. He does that because he knows I don't want to eat the french toast. I love it, but I like eggs too, so I pass on the bread. I also had half a peach. I am making meat loaf for dinner and I will try not to eat again until dinner. I will have meat loaf and veggies, and make potatoes for him.

I like all foods and that is part of my problem. Lately, I have been leaning toward more healthy foods. I have to stay away from fatty foods because I have a hiatal hernia that will act up with fatty foods. I can go to eat at anyone's home and there will be something that I like. Same with restaurants. I can find something on any menu. Not DH.

I have not been on the scale the past few days, but last week I weighed and my weight stayed the same. I am happy to not have a gain, although I would really like to see a drop.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #10  

I haven't had a good day today. I went into my room to sit down at my dressing table and I either tripped on something or just lost my balance and my body got thrown into the chair. I grabbed onto the table which kept me from falling off the other side of the chair. I banged my knee on the chair. Then I decided to go downstairs to exercise. After 10 min on the treadmill I got a sudden sharp pain in my hip, going across the bottom of my back. I must have also thrown my back out when I fell into the chair. I gave up on exercise for today until I figure out what's going on with my hip and back. Then I came upstairs and was boiling some eggs. When they were done, I picked up the pan with the boiling water in it and stepped toward the sink to drain the water out. It's a good thing I took that step toward the sink, because I guess I wasn't holding the pan steady and some of the boiling water dumped out onto the floor. It would have hit my leg and foot. I had on shorts and sandals, and I did feel a drop or two hit my foot but not enough to get burned. I'm ready to go back to bed for the rest of the day!

Now I'm getting a bit of a headache. I think that fall really jarred my body.

But on the other hand, I'm doing very well with my food. My husband made some Ramen Noodles for lunch and left some in the pot. I immediately dumped it down the disposal so I wouldn't be tempted to eat any. The meatloaf is in the oven and should be done about 5 PM. I will be good and hungry by then.

Maybe I'll go down and try the elliptical this evening. I'll take it slow, but it will be better than nothing.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #11  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue please be careful. I think I would just wait until tomorrow to do anything else. I hope you enjoyed your dinner
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #12  

Carol Sue Take it easy till you know what is happening with your back and hip. Sounds like one of those ? kind of days. Hope you feel better tomorrow and it will be a better day.

Rennie Hi, hope you are doing well too.

Today has been a good day although I did need a snack, but it was OP so it should be okay.

Bonnie, Fatmad, Ruthie and others

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I hope everyone is feeling feisty and rarin' to go this morning. (I'm working on it. Another coffee will help.)

Did pretty well on eating low carb yesterday until afternoon when I felt like I was getting a cold. I ended up snacking on those blasted Goldfish crackers for supper. I should have had soup and gone to bed. Today will be another try at low carbing. FBGL was 5 this morning so I could have gone for bloodwork. (Dr. Jack is going to be somewhat PO'd when I see him next.)

So glad to get a brand new day!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I hope everyone is feeling feisty and rarin' to go this morning. (I'm working on it. Another coffee will help.)

Did pretty well on eating low carb yesterday until afternoon when I felt like I was getting a cold. I ended up snacking on those blasted Goldfish crackers for supper. I should have had soup and gone to bed. Today will be another try at low carbing. FBGL was 5 this morning so I could have gone for bloodwork. (Dr. Jack is going to be somewhat PO'd when I see him next.)

So glad to get a brand new day!
I am definately feeling fiesty and rarin' to go! LOL

Thank you, everyone, for your concern about my injury. I didn't attempt to exercise again yesterday because we went shopping after dinner. I think walking in the store helped to loosen things up and my hip and back are not sore this morning, yet. My knee still hurts where I banged it and it is a little bruised, but it doesn't hurt when I walk on it, just when I touch it. It's really the side of my leg right above the knee rather than the actual knee. I have a nice layer of fat there and I think that cushioned it. LOL I will try exercising again today, but will stop immediately if I have pain. I don't believe in working through it. I think that can just make an injury worse, especially at my age.

Ruthie
, I wouldn't worry about the goldfish crackers. We all need to have some comfort food when we aren't feeling well. There are a lot worse things you could have eaten.

I am not hungry yet so I haven't eaten breakfast. I will probably hold off until lunch, but it will still be scrambled eggs, with some slices of tomato.

Trish
, I was reading about that Heller book online. There were a lot of reviews about it...some people liked the book and others, not so much. The people who didn't like it said that they were disappointed because they were switching away from the reward meal and adding some carbs to other meals, too. But it did mention that Rachel had started having trouble sticking to CAD so they did a study and came up with this new plan. I can understand that. Other people said that they disregarded the diet information in the book and focused on the chapters that were about how to control cravings. I think each person gets something different out of the book.

I had heard of cortisol but not oxytocin, so I googled it out of curiosity. It said that this hormone makes you want sex. LOL My husband is definately going to want me to do this plan! LOL Actually, I think it just raises your mood. Also, they sell it on Amazon. It's not the actual hormone, but a supplement that acts in the same manner. It's rather expensive and you use 2 drops a day. This makes me think of a friend of mine from work who lost a lot of weight. I asked her how her husband felt about her weight loss and she said he loves it because he's getting more sex than he ever had in his life. I guess whatever plan she used to lose weight increased her levels of oxytocin and made her desire more sex.

That will give you all something to think about all day. LOL Have a good one!
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #15  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default More Metformin!

Got a phone call from my doctor yesterday I am on the lowest dose of Metformin and I only take it in the morning but now she wants me to take it at night also. My fbs is not off the charts with the average being 130-150, but that is higher than it should be, so hopefully with the weight coming off this will be only temporary, hopefully one day I will no longer have to support CVS!! Have a blessed day. Tammy
Closed Thread