Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #1  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Default What do you miss cooking while on IP?

For me it's ONIONS!! I just thought of this because I'm making baked cod tonight and I would usually sautee some onions garlic and capers then add some parsley and lemon and pour that over the fish. But, it's just not the same without the onions. I made stuffed peppers last week that were awesome, but mentally I missed sauteeing the onions to add to the ground beef. I'll try using onion powder instead of the real thing.
AliExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #2  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliExpat View Post
For me it's ONIONS!! I just thought of this because I'm making baked cod tonight and I would usually sautee some onions garlic and capers then add some parsley and lemon and pour that over the fish. But, it's just not the same without the onions. I made stuffed peppers last week that were awesome, but mentally I missed sauteeing the onions to add to the ground beef. I'll try using onion powder instead of the real thing.
I do sauteed onions all the time since starting IP. I just make sure they don't brown. I do this by using a little grapeseed oil, and then periodically adding little amounts of water, or chicken broth. As it cooks off I add a little more until the onions are nice and tender. They taste really good this way. I do the same with green peppers. You have to really watch them closely.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliExpat View Post
I had halibut this weekend with capers + juice, olive oil and salt and pepper with lemon zest and it was amazing. Give that a whirl. Seriously, it was amazing.
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

What do I miss most - no question...baking ANYTHING! I love to bake for my family and have fresh yeast bread on the table when they come home for dinner.
Breakfast - German pancakes, yeast waffles, streusel coffee cake. Dessert - oh, anything chocolate, nuts. Cookies for any occasion, here or at school or office.
Fortunately, the only one left at home is my husband so I still sometimes bake brad, halving the recipe.
Am I tempted - only when it is very very fresh out of the oven but I have been stalwart for 2 weeks, 2 days and want to go on and on.
I have 24 years of bad eating to counter and I know it will not be easy or fast, but I am in it for the long haul.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #5  
Started IP 6-5-13

S/C/G: 211.4/154.0/155

Height: 5'7 and a half!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
I do sauteed onions all the time since starting IP. I just make sure they don't brown. I do this by using a little grapeseed oil, and then periodically adding little amounts of water, or chicken broth. As it cooks off I add a little more until the onions are nice and tender. They taste really good this way. I do the same with green peppers. You have to really watch them closely.
Look at you!!! Love the new avatar!
CrystalWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #6  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
I had halibut this weekend with capers + juice, olive oil and salt and pepper with lemon zest and it was amazing. Give that a whirl. Seriously, it was amazing.
Mmmm, sounds delish!! Are we allowed capers? They're a berry but they're salty...hmmm. A few shouldn't hurt. Thanks Sarita!!!!
AliExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Interesting choice of topics... For me I would rather when I am this forum focus my energy on what I can cook and enjoy on IP... All the new foods I am trying and new ways of making things that keep me OP and teach me about how best to eat when in maintenance.

Not that everyone doesn't miss some things! And some of those things will become part of maintenance, a few things may become very occasional eats, and still others may be gone for the long term.

One thing IP is teaching me is that, for me, I will have to change MANY of my old ways in exchange for new and healthier things that I am learning to love just as much!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #8  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWolf View Post
Look at you!!! Love the new avatar!
Awe, thanks!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #9  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Nothing! I really don't like to cook. My husband and kids like very average food. There's nothing wrong with that but I always enjoyed trying new recipes but they won't eat them. So I lost the love to cook a LONG time ago!
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany123 View Post
Nothing! I really don't like to cook. My husband and kids like very average food. There's nothing wrong with that but I always enjoyed trying new recipes but they won't eat them. So I lost the love to cook a LONG time ago!
Maybe IP is the perfect time to rekindle your interest in cooking by trying some of the amazing recipes I these forums. For YOU!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/268.4/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
What do I miss most - no question...baking ANYTHING! I love to bake for my family and have fresh yeast bread on the table when they come home for dinner.
Breakfast - German pancakes, yeast waffles, streusel coffee cake. Dessert - oh, anything chocolate, nuts. Cookies for any occasion, here or at school or office.
Fortunately, the only one left at home is my husband so I still sometimes bake brad, halving the recipe.
Am I tempted - only when it is very very fresh out of the oven but I have been stalwart for 2 weeks, 2 days and want to go on and on.
I have 24 years of bad eating to counter and I know it will not be easy or fast, but I am in it for the long haul.
I agree. I love to bake and decorate cakes, so I am having to put off my hobby while on IP. It's a small sacrifice that I am willing to make.
DivaDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Interesting choice of topics... For me I would rather when I am this forum focus my energy on what I can cook and enjoy on IP... All the new foods I am trying and new ways of making things that keep me OP and teach me about how best to eat when in maintenance.

Not that everyone doesn't miss some things! And some of those things will become part of maintenance, a few things may become very occasional eats, and still others may be gone for the long term.

One thing IP is teaching me is that, for me, I will have to change MANY of my old ways in exchange for new and healthier things that I am learning to love just as much!!
This!
We can focus on what we miss or we can focus on what we CAN have.
I choose to focus my energy on healing and wellness

What new foods are you using to keep you ON PLAN?
What wonderful recipes are working for you?

What are you finding helpful to carry you into maintenance?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #13  

I definitely miss fruits and big breakfasts...Phase 3 ones to be exact. I also miss having a glass of wine with friends. That being said, I equally appreciate all the new foods/recipes that I have come to love. Even maintaining for the last 9 months I have found that I use more of my IP recipes than I ever expected. However, I think it's human to acknowledge that we all enjoy certain foods and miss them...besides giving up certain foods does not mean that they are bad or that we will never have them again (fruits, dairy, etc). I read once that IP (specifically phase 1 and 2) is a short term (depending on the weight you need to loose for a long term solution.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 157/119.8/125 r/b 136/136/125

Height: 5'2"

I actually still cook for DH & DS...just miss that glass of wine while I'm cooking! For a while before beginning IP, I put crabapple juice & later water in my wine glass! It's all about the glass.
kkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #15  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Maybe IP is the perfect time to rekindle your interest in cooking by trying some of the amazing recipes I these forums. For YOU!!
That's what I love about this program, it's flexible. Right now I could care less about cooking. I make a meal for my family, or DH does, and I just get my veggies in any way I can with a packet or RTD. Usually 2 cups spinich in a chocolate smoothie or broccoli puréed into a soup. I'm just not focused on the food right now and don't miss anything. But I'm barely 2 weeks in. Later, if I get bored, I can get creative with packets (I'm doing a mix of IP and alternatives).

This program really is for everyone!
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote