Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default To those who have lost weight running...

I've recently started running, and I really like it!! Never thought I would say it, but I'm also referring to the treadmill running not outdoors. I get asthma attacks when I'm outdoors so I prefer to run inside and can take bathroom breaks, be away from the socal sun for a bit, etc etc.

So my problem is, I'm reaally really sloW! I'm been trying to run but I can't run a complete mile so I do the run until I'm tried, then walk, then run, and it took me 56 minutes to do 3 miles! and I felt pretty good but that's a pretty long time for a mile.

So I was wondering, is continuing at this pace a good workout? Before I used to do the elliptical and 30day shred, and i got bored of both. Now when I get on the elliptical I don't even sweat at the highest resistance. So I switched to running. So am I supposed to be aiming for something when I'm running? Like completing a 12 minute mile? or could i just work out until I lose 300some cals (according to my treadmill-although i know this could be off)

and I have another question, you know how people say their bodies get used to workouts, if you still continue to do the same workout, you still lose the calories right? it's just an issue of how much you want to do it? I hope that makes sense. Because sometimes I want to just do the elliptical because I know it would be an easier workout, and i would still lose something. I usually feel this way when I'm getting ready to run and i'm feeling lazy so i want to opt for a easier workout.

I just don't take breaks because when I do it's ALWAYS a 2-3 day break. ugh

Anyway, just wanted to ask you all if you thought this 3mile/hr running idea would be good to do everyday. I've been slacking a bit on my diet so I'm trying to see if I make it up by upping my workouts.

Any advice is appreciated! thank you!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #2  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

I'm also interested in this:
Quote:
and I have another question, you know how people say their bodies get used to workouts, if you still continue to do the same workout, you still lose the calories right? it's just an issue of how much you want to do it? I hope that makes sense. Because sometimes I want to just do the elliptical because I know it would be an easier workout, and i would still lose something. I usually feel this way when I'm getting ready to run and i'm feeling lazy so i want to opt for a easier workout.
Do you burn less calories once your body gets used to a particular exercise than you used to beforehand? If not, are there other benefits to switching an exercise routine up every 6 weeks (other than avoiding boredom)?
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Yes, it is a good idea to do every day. But you need to start stretching yourself on how far you run before you start walking once you get more comfortable with what you are doing. It will be tough and it will hurt. First your lungs. Then on longer distances your leg muscles and maybe even the joints. So listen to you body, accept some discomfort but know your limits to avoid injury.

I never walked. I just started running at 220lbs. My first run was 0.5 miles. I then tried to run further. Soon I was at 0.75 miles, then a mile, then 1.5 etc.

I now run 5 miles every day. The trick I have found is to try to run what you normally run and then push it a little further every now and again until that becomes your norm.

I am hoping my next norn will be 10k (6.2 miles). I have done that twice but am still not ready to run that every day!

PS Most of my weightloss has been through diet. Running has helped tone my body up and made me more fit. It has sometimes turbo charged my weightloss but also made my weight more volatile as sore muscles induce water and muscle gain plays havoc with the scale.

Last edited by IanG; 08-29-2013 at 10:18 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Yes, it is a good idea to do every day. But you need to start stretching yourself on how far you run before you start walking once you get more comfortable with what you are doing. It will be tough and it will hurt. First your lungs. Then on longer distances your leg muscles and maybe even the joints. So listen to you body, accept some discomfort but know your limits to avoid injury.

I never walked. I just started running at 220lbs. My first run was 0.5 miles. I then tried to run further. Soon I was at 0.75 miles, then a mile, then 1.5 etc.

I now run 5 miles every day. The trick I have found is to try to run what you normally run and then push it a little further every now and again until that becomes your norm.

I am hoping my next norn will be 10k (6.2 miles). I have done that twice but am still not ready to run that every day!

PS Most of my weightloss has been through diet. Running has helped tone my body up and made me more fit. It has sometimes turbo charged my weightloss but also made my weight more volatile as sore muscles induce water and muscle gain plays havoc with the scale.
IanG- I tried seeing how far I can run and it's about .2miles. Like I am seriously exhausted running further, then I walk for a whole 3 minutes then run again. So is this not the best workout? I only walk when I feel like my legs are going to give out (dramatic I know! esp with running for .2m) but I really feel exhausted by then.

And also Ian, when you say most of your weightloss has been through diet, what do you normally eat? protein and veggies? I'm doing low carb, high protein after stopping dukan (I figured it was more realistic for now) so do you think that's a good plan combined with the 3 mile run( or maybe fast walk since im not actually running the majority of the time lol) I just don't know where to it's easiest to get a deficit from, food or exercise??

Thanks for your input!! You are doing amazing btw! so so close to goal!!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedspirit View Post
I'm also interested in this:

Do you burn less calories once your body gets used to a particular exercise than you used to beforehand? If not, are there other benefits to switching an exercise routine up every 6 weeks (other than avoiding boredom)?
I really want to know too!! I was thinking if I'm less tired with a workout, I don't have to put in much effort, therefore don't lose much calories wise, but I'm still losing something right??

I'm so confused with workouts!! Sometimes I just want to eat 1200 and not workout but I know I can't stick to that 100% of the time! and I would like to be more fit anyway lol.

Hopefully someone can answer this question for us
Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
IanG- I tried seeing how far I can run and it's about .2miles. Like I am seriously exhausted running further, then I walk for a whole 3 minutes then run again. So is this not the best workout? I only walk when I feel like my legs are going to give out (dramatic I know! esp with running for .2m) but I really feel exhausted by then.

And also Ian, when you say most of your weightloss has been through diet, what do you normally eat? protein and veggies? I'm doing low carb, high protein after stopping dukan (I figured it was more realistic for now) so do you think that's a good plan combined with the 3 mile run( or maybe fast walk since im not actually running the majority of the time lol) I just don't know where to it's easiest to get a deficit from, food or exercise??

Thanks for your input!! You are doing amazing btw! so so close to goal!!
Thanks. You are doing great, so just keep going. Your diet sounds fantastic as well. 80%+ of your weightloss will come from diet, so keep that tightly under control. It is very easy to eat to the extent that you cannot exercise into deficit so you must watch what goes into your mouth.

But exercise is an excellent complement to diet. So just keep doing what you are doing and try to get that running distance up slowly. Perhaps 0.3 miles soon?

My diet is also high protein, low calorie. I eat salads with canned fish. My focus is on getting protein the best way I can in a low calorie way that also provides other nutrients e.g. calcium, vitamins, omega 3s. So my lunch today was canned chinook salmon with lettuce, blueberries, corn, onion, tomato, olives, pickled onion, hummus, pickled garlic and a quails egg.

My lunch tomorrow will be canned octopus, a little salted mackeral, lettuce, corn, onion, tomato, olives, pickled onion, hummus, blueberries, pickled garlic and a quails egg.

My lunch on Saturday will be pan-seared scallops, a little salted mackeral, lettuce, corn, onion, tomato, olives, pickled onion, blueberries, hummus and pickled garlic.

My lunch on Sunday will be sauteed snails in parsley and garlic, a little salted mackeral, lettuce, corn, onion, tomato, olives, pickled onion, blueberries, hummus and pickled garlic.

Last edited by IanG; 08-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #7  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I second Ian's comment about challenging yourself to push things a little bit further every so often. That might mean running a little bit longer, or walking a little bit faster when you switch to walking. I know you say you're currently running to the point of exhaustion, and I don't doubt you...but if you keep at it, next week's point of exhaustion will come later than this week's point of exhaustion. Your body will naturally adapt and you'll simply be able to run a bit further.

I like to walk outside in good weather or on the treadmill in bad weather (I'm 55 and have issues running due to tired old joints!). When I first started walking back in March, I was walking at a speed of about 2.8-3.0 mph. I could power walk at about 3.5 mph, but only for about 30 seconds or so, after which I needed to slow things down. Initially, my walks lasted about 20 minutes.

Each week, I pushed myself to walk a bit further and a bit faster. Last week, I finished an 8k walk (about 5 miles) in 1 hour and 25 minutes, which means I walked at an average speed of 3.5 mph. So, I've gone from only being able to walk at 3.5 mph for 30 seconds to being able to walk at 3.5 mph for almost an hour and a half. In March, a speed of about 2.8-3.0 mph felt normal to me. Now, when I walk at that speed, I feel like I'm crawling! If feels SO slow. I have been amazed at my progress. And my progress is the result of just doing a little bit more each week...although I wonder whether my progress is also the result of having lost 40 lbs, since I now have a lot less to carry around when I'm walking!

And, yes, when you get used to doing a particular workout, your body finds it easier and thus expends less energy (burns fewer calories) doing that same workout. So, you need to change things up a bit. You needn't switch from running to an exercise bike (although you could). Instead, it can be as simple as increasing your speed, increasing your incline, taking a different route (if running outside), etc.

So, I'd keep doing what you're doing...but add to it a little bit each week. As I said above, try running a bit longer, try walking a bit faster and/or try lengthening the time you're on the treadmill. Good luck!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #8  

i think the Couch to 5K program would be perfect for you! You can build a bit of endurance and then focus on speed and it will give you a goal to reach and tangible numbers to work on.
michellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

As you get faster and build endurance you will find yourself running faster and farther (if you want). Also, as you lose weight you will find yourself running faster. Basically, when it starts getting too easy push yourself a little bit. There is no rush, slow and steady is a great way to avoid injury -- and it is easy to injure yourself as a new runner with lots of excitement and enthusiasm!

It is great exercise, running on a treadmill is my main exercise and I'm not running nearly as fast as I used to (due to a serious back injury a few years ago) but I'm still finding it works great for both weight-loss, fitness, and stress management!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-30-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #10  

OMG YOU GUYS!!

I ran for .3miles!!! You guys were so right, it's totally possible! What I did differently was I got on the treadmill and started running right away (I usually walk the first 3-4 mins) but decided why not let's just run, I walked the past few mins to get here and stretched so I';l just run and i think that may have been why!

I slowed down a bit later though, couldn't keep up the intensity, but it felt great! when i started to run again though, i thought my lungs would collapse, I was so tired, so I didn't push, hopefully I can build the endurance!!

Thank you all for your recommendations! I need to control my diet better though, all this sweat and pain from the treadmill is for nothing otherwise!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Great job! It is easy to catch the running bug, particularly once you know you CAN do it! Keep up with it, put your time in consistently, and you will see great improvements!

The exciting thing about being a new runner is that every time you work out you have a really good chance of setting a new "personal best". This is an exciting time, so ENJOY IT!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #12  

Thank you Mrs.Snark!! and everyone else you posted!! Appreciate it!!

I hope this is the one workout that will stick with!!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm gearing myself up to start a C25K program. My physical therapist has been trying to prepare me for running both physically and mentally. She stresses that the #1 cause of injuries is that people start running without a real plan, run too hard, too often without clear limits or guidelines. A C25k program has clear boundaries (when to run, how long to run, when to walk, take days off, etc).

It sounds to me like you're doing too much. I understand what you mean about taking days off, and you don't have to take days off from "activities" but do take days off from running. Rest is just just as important to the process as running. It gives your joints and muscles time to recooperate and get stronger. Run every other day and on the in between days walk, do strength training, go for a swim, maybe even ride a bike, just do something less stressful on your joints is what I'm saying.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #14  

Anytime you push yourself, and it sounds like you are you're burning mega calories and doing it right. You mentioned that the elliptical is easy for you now that is because your endurance has gone thru the roof as to what it used to be so mega congrats for that accomplishment. Don't worry about your speed when running that too will come. You're doing just great.

Last edited by Kscott; 09-02-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I'm gearing myself up to start a C25K program. My physical therapist has been trying to prepare me for running both physically and mentally. She stresses that the #1 cause of injuries is that people start running without a real plan, run too hard, too often without clear limits or guidelines. A C25k program has clear boundaries (when to run, how long to run, when to walk, take days off, etc).

It sounds to me like you're doing too much. I understand what you mean about taking days off, and you don't have to take days off from "activities" but do take days off from running. Rest is just just as important to the process as running. It gives your joints and muscles time to recooperate and get stronger. Run every other day and on the in between days walk, do strength training, go for a swim, maybe even ride a bike, just do something less stressful on your joints is what I'm saying.
Yes you are right! I ended up taking a break on Friday and Saturday. I walked around town but my legs actually hurt a little for no reason (really strange), so I decided to take a break.

Definitely don't want to ruin running by getting injured, would probably be worse than a break! But thank you for the advice

Is this C25K program a free program? I keep hearing about it on 3fc might have to take a look into it sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
Anytime you push yourself, and it sounds like you are you're burning mega calories and doing it right. You mentioned that the elliptical is easy for you now that is because your endurance has gone thru the roof as to what it used to be so mega congrats for that accomplishment. Don't worry about your speed when running that too will come. You're doing just great.
Thank you!!