Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:35 PM   #1  
Head Princess

Lightbulb Tips to avoid slips

I posted these on our chat thread, but I'd really like to see the tips and tricks that we can employ to avoid those little slip-ups we make.

Here's mine:

1. Eat before you go to events/places where you know you'll be assaulted with carb loaded foods - it's a lot easier to resist temptation when you're not hungry

2. Keep your goals your number 1 priority. Keep asking yourself - is that one bite of cake, pie, candy or other little evil worth it? Trust me, it WILL cost you big and it WILL hurt. **Don't believe that "just one little bite won't hurt you" crap - it WILL!!!

3. Be aware of the example you're setting. As you've seen, there are a lot of critics of this woe. If you want your friends, family, and peers to take you seriously on this, you cannot waver.

4. When all else fails, procrastinate. Here it is, everyone, my secret weapon. When I really REALLY want something that I know I shouldn't have, I say to myself, "maybe in a little bit". And then I keep saying it over and over until it's too late and the temptation is gone. Works like a charm

5. Feeling munchie while you're sitting at home? Find something to clean. It's exercise, gives you a feeling of accomplishment (that's way better than guilt) and has a nice little way of killing your appetite.

6. Never forget the chunky, lumpy, big ol' cottage cheese butt that you don't want to have! (You'll get one if you give in )

Please share!!!!

Last edited by StarPrincess; 11-05-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:27 PM   #2  
Each Bite of Sugar...

GREAT tips Star. I'm going to have to compile a list to keep around the house.

I would add: If you're going somewhere, bring something that is okay for you to eat in addition to eating before you go. Sometimes when you're surrounded by food, it's nice to know there is at least one thing you can snack on. Or, bring olives.... =)

Hmmm, anything else? Keep celery cut up in the fridge for a quick and easy snack - because we ALL like things that are quick and easy and are morel likely to eat them.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:09 PM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Here's my list.....

Keep Sugar Free Jello in a large tub in the refrigerator at ALL TIMES! Every 4 days I make up a large and small box in a Tupperware bowl. Just add 3 cups boiling water and 10 ice cubes…DONE! The variety of flavors and the fact that it is readily accessible has REALLY helped me to ward off any sweet tooth issues.

I always eat a protein item before attending any function. I personally would rather just walk around with a diet soda in my hand, than to try to even nibble on carb free foods. The less temptation with me the better.

I drink a lot of Wyler’s Sugar Free Raspberry drink. It fills me up and is very satisfying. Whenever I feel a little munchie I drink a glass of Raspberry drink and 10 min. later I am no longer looking to munch.

Each night I treat myself to a wonderful cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee with heavy cream. YUM!!!! This is a real treat for me and helps me not to pick all night long. I was a severe night eater – always picking at salts and sweets.

Items I keep stocked up on include, mozzarella cheese, chunks of cooked chicken breasts, bagged salad greens and bacon bits, almonds, and mini low carb mint ice cream wafers (a low carb recipe from Nancy Moshier’s book), and Atkins bars if I am in dire straights – but this is a real splurge because I don’t trust that net carb idea.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #4  
Movin' and Losin'

Great tips, ladies!!

I guess the one thing that has helped me is to always remember: "Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your 'just this one taste won't hurt' rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins (Induction)." -- from the Atkins Web site, www.atkinscenter.com.

That is enough to scare me! When I'm eating things like beef, cheese, eggs, cream, etc., I feel like I'm so fortunate to be losing weight -- it's amazing. I know that the ONLY way this works is by cutting out carbs. I know if I ate something like bread with all these food, I'd gain a ton of weight!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:31 PM   #5  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default KEEP EM COMING....

More tips:

1) Always keep a filled water bottle glued to your fingertips and sip/drink throughout the day!

2) Keep some sugarless gum or mints in your purse - I find when I get a sweet craving and nothing is around, just chewing that stuff keeps my mouth busy.

3) Stake out restaurants/venues ahead of time and plan your strategy - I often look up menus on websites to discover low carb options and plan ahead what I will be eating.

4) Of course keep a well stocked fridge and cupboard of lc foods and snacks....try not to run out of your favorites so no excuses to go off plan

5) Get rid of non acceptable foods (and throw out that darn Hallowe'en candy).....if they're not around you can't eat them

6) Beware of your "triggers"....eg nuts, creams, seeds, etc. If you can't control portions and these lead to cravings better to avoid them altogether.

Froufie
Old 11-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #6  
reaching my goals

Those are great tips. When I'm tempted, it usually works for me to think back on my Mexican food fiasco during week three that caused me to gain back 3 pounds and take the rest of the week to re-lose it.

A trick that has worked in the past is to keep a picture of me at my largest and one at my smallest (goal size) with me. If looking at the picture at the size I want to be doesn't do the trick, I look at the picture of me at my largest to remind myself of how far I've come and what I don't want to return to.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #7  

Default Kim NJ

Watch out for the Wylers SF!!! I used to drink a lot of that during the day and then I read the label. It has 2 grams for every 8 oz. and I was drinking at least 48 ounces on some days!

Use the DaVinci or other SF syrups instead if you can.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #8  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Jane - I just called home and dh read the label and found that the Raspberry is 1 carb per 8 oz while the lemondae is 2 carbs per 8 oz. I never even knew there were any carbs...OK - that adds at least 4 to 5 carbs now to my daily totals!!!!!! BUT I LOVE THAT DRINK!

Thanks for the heads up....keep me honest
Old 11-07-2003, 01:17 AM   #9  
on my way down again

I keep meat like chicken or ribs on hand, and also I make a lot of soup out of chicken broth soup with pork or beef in it. It really fills me up and tastes so good.

Last edited by Barbie101; 11-08-2003 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:31 AM   #10  
The Princess O' Pets

Thank you for all your tips...they are great! I just started Atkins on10/23/03, and have been doing great so far except one mess up in the beginning while going to a party....there was nothing low carb there to eat and I was starving....like you said I should have eaten before or brought some food with me!! Thanks for all the helpful hints.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:35 AM   #11  
Head Princess

Great tips, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

I actually had a dream last night that Brad Pitt kept trying to get me to eat gummy worms with him last night. I said no to Brad Pitt!!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:09 AM   #12  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I don't know Star - I think sharing gummy worms with Brad Pitt might be one of those "special occasions" where going off plan would be allowed?

Hey you could always substitute sf gummy worms - but rushing off to the bathroom due to maltitol issues when cozying up to Brad might not be a cool thing to do!

Froufy
Old 11-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #13  
Head Princess

Hee hee - I am strong!!!! Not even Brad Pitt can stop me now!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #14  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Okay, I wouldn't have much trouble saying "no" to Brad Pitt, but my dh is another Story!!! (pun intended there...) Especially when there is Sugar Free Caramel Syrup involved!!

Signed,

Lisa Story - who is also "another Story" when she wants to be...
Old 11-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #15  
on my way down again

I would eat the Gummy worm with Brad Pitt, unless I would be with him in the morning; I would show weight gain then! LOL

There is sugar free caramel syrup? Wow! I better start looking for new products. I have a feeling there is more out there than I know about.
Closed Thread