Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/226.4/150

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Sudden Drops and Working Out

So I just felt the need to rant a bit about this unpleasantness. I have been experiencing sudden drops when I work out where my blood sugar will go from around 130ish to around 80. When this happens I feel like death. I hate it.

The problem I have with this is the fact that working out is helping me lose weight and therefore reduce my a1C and reduce my medicine. Currently I am taking Janument 50/1000 twice a day and my doctor has decided to place me on Metformin yet again due to my sugars dropping too much. I have to finish my current pills first though.

I noticed at first that the drops only occurred when I combined strength training and cardio in my work outs, but more often now they occur randomly in the middle of the day. I am unsure what to do to fix them besides eating, but then I feel bad due to my intake of carbs. It is very frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to eat to stabilize better I am currently at a loss and don't want to eat baked goods post workouts anymore.
Davikatl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am probably not the best person to be responding because I am only on Metformin and I never get a drop like you're experiencing. Are you eating something before you work out? A small snack? That should help. That way you won't drop so low. I think it's better to do that than to have the drop and have to eat something to raise it. 80 isn't really that low, but I know it can make you feel terrible when you're not accustomed to having your BS that low. Keep up the exercise, and stay away from the baked goods. LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Exercise usually causes a temporary spike in blood sugar, this is normal and a healthy response, as it allows the muscles to have fuel. The drop is being caused by a strong response to the high sugar. It is best prevented by some food. Perhaps a glass of milk, or a healthy smoothie. A few carbs in the dairy, but also some fat and protein, to allow a slow burn. Have at the end of the workout?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #4  

Default Sudden Drops, too.

I've started a new medicine in addition to metformin. And I've been getting back on track with healthier food choices. I just started a second med.
One day I went from 150 in the am to 80 in the mid-afternoon, after less than 1 mile walk to store. It felt like the worst panic attack and took about 45 minutes to feel better.
Today I went from 130 in the a.m. to 65 after stretching and working out for 4 minutes. I a small meal prior to activity may be important - maybe just a bite of carb, protein, fruit.

I read that the new medicine makes the pancreas secrete more insulin. I'm eatting frequent small meals. I will consult my dr. if it doesn't level out soon. I'm staying close to home this week and making sure I have food available when I go out.
RoseLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #5  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Could you suck on a piece of hard candy while you work out?
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote