Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #1  
Getting motivated

S/C/G: 260/222/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Cardio and strength...what's ideal for weight loss?

Hey all, I was wondering what you guys have found to be ideal for weight loss....more cardio, or more strength/toning? I've heard mixed opinions from different people but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Currently I take cardio classes at the gym about 3-4 times a week and a strength/toning class 1-2 times a week (each class is 1 hour long). I am definitely more of a cardio fan overall, I love the Zumba and dance classes that are offered. The strength class is tough but I am feeling stronger after two weeks of taking it. I have a lot of fat to burn, and I am losing weight, but I thought I would have lost more than I have (lost around 2-3 pounds within a month, eating around 1700 cal a day give or take).

Should I switch up my routine, try something new, etc?
meowforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The true answer is neither. I mean cardio is good for overall cardiovascular health. Weight training is good to help maintain your muscle mass as you lose weight but also has other health benefits. In terms of weight loss, a proper diet is ideal and any exercise is a bonus.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Honestly, I think its whatever program you can stick too. It does no good if you hate it and skip workouts.

I find that I can not do pure-cardio plans. If I do 4 days of strength and 2-3 days of cardio, I have the best success since I actually stick with it.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

It will get you toned, but it will not show much on the scale. What exercise does is help you gain muscle. Since muscle is more dense, you will generally see inches melting rather than pounds. You also retain more water with exercise due to muscle repair, so scale weight will be deceiving. Just mix it up and keep on going. A toned body will keep you motivated when dieting hits a rough patch.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152.9/148.0/113

Height: 5'7

I have found in the past that a healthy mix of cardio and weight training (which sounds to me like you're already doing) is the most effective method. I love to strength train 2 to 3 times per week, and pepper my cardio workout with running, cycling and the elliptical (so I don't get sick of any one thing). Yes, the first month is always the slowest weight loss time for me, but after the first 5 weeks your body should be good to go. Good luck!!
Monkeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #6  
Getting motivated

S/C/G: 260/222/160

It sounds like I should stick to what I'm doing for now, maybe change up my eating habits a bit more. I may try different classes too, like spinning, and see how that goes. I think I may just be one of those people where the weight comes off super slow, so frustrating!
meowforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #7  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowforce View Post
I think I may just be one of those people where the weight comes off super slow, so frustrating!
As long as you keep your food at 1700 calories, I think you'll start dropping weight more quickly once your body gets used to the exercise.

Over a year ago, I started an exercise routine that was the most intense I'd ever done. I wasn't looking to drop pounds per se. I just wanted to tone up and lose inches. I lost inches within a couple weeks, but it took, idk, maybe 6 weeks before the weight started coming off. And once it started, it kept dropping lower and lower and lower than I even wanted. I felt like a fat burning monster .

So, hang in there. Your plan sounds really healthy and it's only a matter of time before the results start piling in. But be sure to keep the cals at 1700.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I vote for a mixed routine as well, but I have read that exercise doesn't really burn enough calories, not unless you're doing something like four hours a day. And don't have a life.

I have also read that while exercise alone won't burn enough calories, it does seem to help people psychologically. It helps people stay on track with their efforts more, relieves stress and elevates mood, which helps people avoid emotional eating. And yes, the added benefit of building muscle and bone with weight training and some good jarring movements in Zumba class, plus the cardio-vascular benefits, it's all good!

Keep it up, and step up your game when it all starts feeling too easy. You're doing great!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

losing weight/cardio helps you look good in clothes
weight lifting will make you look good naked.
iixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'4

I'm for weight training all the way! Not that you shouldn't do cardio but in my experience, weight training helps you lose and helps you to keep the weight off.

I looked my best in 2009 when I was doing Chalene Extreme. I was doing it 3- 4 days a week and cardio-3. They were only 30 minute workouts and even though my scale was stuck at 150lbs, I was in size 8 pants and jeans and got so many compliments on my arms and shoulders.

As for why I stopped... depression. I need to get back and be the happy person I used to be.
jazzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Do an "exercise" that you love, or at least like a whole lot. Personally, I LOVE running, so I run alot. I love walking, so I walk alot. I love hiking, so whenever I can I go for a hike (mostly on vacation because I live in flat Florida). I enjoy riding a bike, so I take the occasional bike ride. I enjoy kayaking, so I kayak. You get the idea.

But I have been a fat runner, a fat walker, a fat kayaker -- you get the picture. Because frankly, all my hard work is done in the kitchen when I choose what, and how much, I will eat.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #12  

I like a combination of both which is crossfit.
newme55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #13  

It sounds like you're doing great. I would agree that it's what you like to do--is most likely what you'll stay with. 99% of weight loss is calorie intake. The exercise is to get you fit--and help burn calories--that is if you're eating less and exercising more. It's calories in--versus calories out.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #14  

Depends on your goal. If you just want to see numbers drop on the scale then just cardio and eating at a calorie deficit will do that.

If you want to look good then lift weights + eat at a calorie deficit. You'll get that toned look.

Cardio is a good supplement for weight loss, but I wouldn't rely on it totally. Your diet will always outrun your cardio.

You may want to consider tracking your calories and making a small cut.
AppundanceTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #15  
banned

Cardio exercises are good for strength and provide our body great shape. I think cardio exercises are perfect for losing weight so if someone wants to loss weight then do cardio exercises.
Ricky100 is offline   Reply With Quote