Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Default MRI w/contrast

Hey folks. I'm having an MRI with contrast. The MRI part isn't a concern for me, not a big deal there are all. It's the "w/contrast" part that is concerning me. Any experiences or reassurances?
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #2  

Hi! I had an MRI with contrast. They administer IV contrast into a vein. The contrast helps visualize things better. Good luck to you.
Trying my best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #3  

Sorry... I wanted to add... it doesn't hurt at all except a mild "warming" sensation at the area they insert the contrast. I've had this done a couple of times. No worries at all.
Trying my best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

The mri with contrast. They will give you an iv just a little needle. The contrast might be a little warm. Make sure you tell them your allergies, The dye for the mri is not like the iodine or cat scan dyes so allergies are extremely rare. I believe they use gadalium something like that. Just tell them if you have impaired kidneys or a kidney issue. The noise is the worst, like someone banging on a door with a hammer but they give you a headphone and put on your type of music so just sit back and try to relax for about the 20 min or less of the test.

Last edited by cleancowgirl; 08-25-2013 at 04:54 PM.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #5  
Aloha nui loa

It will be an hour they said.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #6  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

I've had an MRI with contrast a few years back, like cleancowgirl said, the noise is pretty much what I found to be the worst part because it sounds like a banging, clacking, drilling and very loud noise. A lot of MRI facilities have "open MRI machines" where it isn't as claustrophobic, there is more space between the tables and some doctor's will order, perhaps ask. A lot of MRI facilities will give you a blanket, a call bell on your lap if you have a question or need to talk to the tech, you just squeeze it and there is a microphone where they can talk to you while you are in the machine. They may talk to you while you are in the machine and ask if you are doing okay. I would call the MRI facility with any questions, but you may be able to listen to relaxing music, ask them if you want to do that, they will most likely give you headphones and remember to not wear any metal the day of the MRI because the MRI machine has magnetic fields in the machine. The tech will ask you at least once probably if you have any metal on because that is very important to not wear metal.

I definitely encourage you to ask your doc's office or the MRI facility any questions. They are there to help you. If you have concerns regarding the IV, maybe tell them that and some facilities may have an IV Team, nurses who are skilled in starting the IV more than others.

Good luck!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

Hi, contrast dye is not painful however expect to feel a rush of warm sensation through your body very quickly and then passes in a few minutes...I felt it most in the girly region. Other than that it's kind of boring, you just lay there. No worries.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #8  
Aloha nui loa

Woke up to anxiety...bleh. I hate this.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #9  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 254.4/233.0/140

Height: 5'5

I had one back in march before surgery. They made me fast for 12 hours so by the time I got there I was sick to my stomach. The dye isn't painful but you get this sensation through your body and it feels like your peeing yourself but don't worry your not!. I also got this warmth in my throat wich is then that I puked all over the place. This warmth coupled with tummy upset didn't go well. But that was just me. Try to relax and think of something pleasant.
butterflygirljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #10  
Aloha nui loa

Done with the test. It was not much fun, and I got a nasty taste in my mouth when they injected the contrast.