South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Plateau'd

Well after 40+ pounds lost, I seem to have been in a plateau all summer.. no matter what I do I cant seem to start losing again.

I have added extra exercise daily plus going for a 2 hour walk a few times a week. But so far nothing. Also I have reduced the amount of cheeses consumed. (Being a cheese addict, this was quite difficult)

I am proud of the amount I have lost, and I know that plateaus are bound to crop up on any 'diet' but its far easier to stay motivated while losing.

So my question is, does anybody have any suggestions of things they have done to break free from their previous plateaus???
Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks a bunch
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I plateaued after losing 35 pounds and was stuck there for a very frustrating three months.

What worked for me was taking a weekend diet break. My fiance and I were already planning a trip to Seoul (we live in a tiny town in Korea) so I took the opportunity to eat a bunch of delicious food that I normally don't have access to. I think I clocked in around 3000 calories each day so almost double what I normally eat. After an initial pound gain, I lost that plus an additional 7 pounds over the next three weeks.

It doesn't work for everyone but it did for me. Good luck!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I'm at a massive plateau and i'm so frustrated! There's a lot going on in my world at the moment, but I've totally lost focus and motivation.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Lindsay, first, I wanted to say Kudos for staying OP and keeping the weekly OP thread going. I went and looked back on your menus, which look fine, and noticed you've been pretty much on your own over there.

I'd actually gained some during the winter months and really decided to remotivate in late May...I had a wedding coming up and (at least) wanted to get back down to where I'd been.

I totally quit any off plan stuff (which you've already done)
I decided to add an at home freeweight routine (5 min. every day)
I decided to do two low cal days, acknowledging I also have some high cal ones

That seems to be working for me right now and I think, especially, the freeweights are making a difference. I've dropped several bra sizes (which I needed to) during this time and the science seems to say that the weightlifting side effect is boosting the metabolism.

I have noticed that as I've come down on the scale that I've often kept shrinking size-wise while staying at the same weight. My un-scientific thought has been that I've been replacing fat with lean body mass.

I also think with me, that my body at times has needed to take some time to stabilize and get used to the new me. Frustrating, for sure, but it seems you're doing all the right stuff.

Hang in there and glad you posted your frustrations....I always think they are better shared.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

You're awesome Lindsay, I'm always in awe at how you do so well on the menu thread!

How tall are you? Have you tallied up the calories you are eating? I wonder if you need to shake things up a bit. And what type of daily exercise are you doing?

(plateaus stink!!)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/226/200

Height: 5' 8"

Lindsay, you're doing awesome. I love your menu thread, it always inspires me. Have you been measuring yourself? Sometimes if you're not losing pounds you could still be losing inches. I loved Debbie's suggestion about adding some weights into your routine. And maybe making some changes in your diet. Sometimes adding something new, but still on plan, to your regular diet can change things up.
Plateaus can be so frustrating. But you're really doing so well. Keep up the good work!!

Last edited by Ntasha88; 08-20-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Ntasha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Thank you everyone for your replies, always nice to know I am not the only one struggling with this issue.

As for the questions asked
I am 5ft 5"
I ride a stationary bike daily for 30 Mins, plus I recently started walking a couple times a week when my schedule allows.
I have very recently added dumbells into my daily routine (trying to counter act the arm 'wings")
I do not count calories (but think maybe I should start, if only for interest sake)
I have not taken my measurements in a long while (though I should definately start doing that as well)

I dont know if the fact that I always eat the same group of items is a problem, maybe if I tried adding new/different foods it might shake things up?

It does get a little lonely in the daily thread sometimes, hehehe.... but I find it a whole lot easier to stay on plan when posting there (when I can anyways)

Thanks again for all your helpful questions, suggestions & support. Its appreciated more than you know
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I think you've got some great ideas, Lindsay. Definately get your measurements, you might be delighted! I would also calorie count for a while, even if it is quite annoying...but might reveal some problems (may it be too high, or too low, of calories).

I will also admit...I realize that if I push myself on my exercise, the pounds melt away more. Most of the time I am content to just "go" and be moderate, even though I know faster would burn more calories. Point being, do you push yourself on the bike, or just pedal?

Good luck! You're awesome!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote